The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 1, 2002, 12:19 AM   #1
imperative

Taurus barrel swap?

Hi there ...
How does one remove the barrel from the frame, and then install a new one? Is this a gunsmith job? I was think about trying out a shorter barrel, and was wondering if it was a big deal or not. The pistol in question is a .357 Model 669, IIRC.
Thanks!
Old February 1, 2002, 07:35 AM   #2
stans

This is a gunsmith job. Special wrenches and a vices designed to fit the barrel and frame are required. A new barrel will, of course, be needed. You might be well advised to check the cost of such a project and compare that to the cost of buying another gun.
Old February 1, 2002, 08:55 AM   #3
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

In addition to what stans said you will likely also need to adjust the shank to the correct cylinder gap and so that the sight and extractor shroud are indexed correctly. This requires a lathe. In my shop the job would run $90 plus the barrel. You might check around and see what others are charging. I think I'm about average. George