The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 20, 2015, 12:20 AM   #51
GWS

Exactly! Never force a primer on a Dillon or any tube-fed primer system...no...any primer system. At least with a strip-fed system, user error can only light up 1 or 2 primers.

Make no mistake....user error is almost always to blame. I've collected pictures of blown up tubes on 550's and 1050's as well, but I have to agree with jmorris....the 650 with it's disk is the press "most likely" to light up 100 primers at once.

That's why, factoring in my imperfectness as a reloader, my final personal pick for a progressive was a safe fast Pro 2000. No buyer remorse on that decision.....none. Love it.
Old May 20, 2015, 10:06 AM   #52
schmellba99

I don't see how you could detonate primers on the Hornady system personally - and if you did, you would not touch off the tube because the seating station is well away from the tube itself.

I suppose you could potentially have issues if the shuttle got a primer sideways - but having experienced that personally a couple of times, you can't put enough force on the press to bend or crush the primer with the shuttle system as the operating spring will give before anything else does (yep, I know).
Old May 21, 2015, 08:29 PM   #53
jmorris

Quote:
I don't see how you could detonate primers on the Hornady system personally
I couldn't either for years I heard about people lighting them off and with the internet I viewed photos of them.

There are some folks that could ruin an anvil with a rubber mallet.

I have squished a few over the last 30 years even seated a few sideways, just never lit one off in a press or even smashing them in a bench vise. That is whyI feel that speed of the force is an important factor.

Hit vs push.
Old May 22, 2015, 02:01 PM   #54
GWS

Yeah, jmorris, that's the great mystery. I've done some primers in on my Rock Chucker over the years and never lit one either. One thing I haven't tried is a hammer on an anvil........probably won't try it either.....heck I never liked to sit on balloons at birthday parties as a kid either.....squeamish I guess. But the evidence is out there .... my picture book is getting pretty big. and it contains blown tubes and hands from users of most brands of presses. Even Hornady.

I just noticed yesterday that Midway USA is shipping RCBS's new Pro Chucker 5's and Pro Chucker 7's finally. Now the circle is complete. Back to boom tubes for Green too. I guess they decided that the Dillon model works often enough without accidents to fade the memory and prevent customers from flinching too bad. Reloaders are the bravest customers anyway.....or they wouldn't reload.

Now we will see if the carnage continues on green progressives.

As for hit vs. push......I'm sure that's a factor....but some of these accidents have happened to guys supposedly just mounting a new loaded tube to a press! In that case no hit....not even much of a push.

Static detonation has been poohpoohed as bogus, but how else to you explain those experiences....skin chemistry?

Last edited by GWS; May 22, 2015 at 02:15 PM.
Old May 22, 2015, 02:22 PM   #55
F. Guffey

I do not know, there was a reloader that got a lot of millage on the reloading forums. He had a primer tube folded in the middle, I suggested he crushed it with a ky-rack chop.

F. Guffey

Last edited by F. Guffey; May 22, 2015 at 03:34 PM. Reason: change shop to chop
Old May 22, 2015, 07:08 PM   #56
tobnpr

Is that similar to a poke chop?
www.biggorillagunworks.com