The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old December 24, 2015, 12:49 PM   #1
hifiaudio

Suppressing a 9mm pistol.. barrel thread question

So I bought my first 9mm that I wanted to shoot suppressed some times and also use as my carry weapon... a S&W m&p 9c. I like the gun a lot, feels good in my hands, but in my ignorance I didnt realize that the stock barrel needed to be threaded to accept silencers, like the Ti-rant 9 I have my eye on.

So...

1. Is it just a matter of buying a different barrel for the gun I already own?

2. Is that usually done with S&W or a third party?

3. I could also look into getting a second 9mm pistol for home defense / target shooting / suppressed shooting that I keep the suppressor on all the time. Do many / any come with threaded barrels for attaching a suppressor, or are some easier to find a threaded barrel for than others?

Thanks for any advice. If I go with option 3 I suppose I am pretty open to suggestions as to what this model this pistol should be.
Old December 24, 2015, 12:54 PM   #2
smee78

You will need to purchase a second barrel (third party) that is threaded. If I were you I would get a med or full size gun to suppress (good for home and range use), a compact may be a little tough to find a threaded barrel for.
Old December 24, 2015, 01:01 PM   #3
hifiaudio

Ok thanks.. I will go down that route then. What are a popular 3 or 4 9mm guns with factory threaded barrels for suppression?
Old December 24, 2015, 01:37 PM   #4
rjrivero

Glock now comes with threaded barrels. HK and FN also come with threaded barrels. Even the M&P now has factory threaded barrel kits...
Old December 24, 2015, 01:50 PM   #5
Machineguntony

If you don't want to swap barrels, there are companies that will thread the existing barrel, so that the threaded barrel doesn't protrude out of the gun.

For some people, having two barrels per gun just adds to clutter, especially if you already have a very large arsenal...I mean...collection.

I don't like the idea of a carry gun having a thread barrel that protrudes from the frame, even if it's a factory barrel. Just more possibility of snagging on something. Also, the threading can become damaged unless you have a thread protector (which will probably also get lost eventually).

The Ti-Rant 9 is a good silencer. Get the shorty version. I have both versions, and the shorty is much more practical and looks far more reasonable, when mounted, than the full size. Enjoy.
Old December 24, 2015, 03:34 PM   #6
Sharkbite

Quote:
If you don't want to swap barrels, there are companies that will thread the existing barrel, so that the threaded barrel doesn't protrude out of the gun.
Tony, who is doing that?
I run a factory threaded Glock 19 and a TiRant 9s. I also have a LW threaded barrel to use in my G26. The G26/9S combo is super short and really nicely balanced.

For the OP.
Just google MP threaded barrels and im sure you will find someone making them.

Make sure you understand the trade-offs with a "mini can". The 9s is compact. About 1/2 the length of my Octane, but it is NOT nearly as quiet. The lack of volume of the smaller cans make them less efficient at quieting the shot.

Thats a trade off you need to be willing to make. Either way shoot subsonic 9mm for maximum sound suppression.
Old December 24, 2015, 04:00 PM   #7
hifiaudio

My research has me coming across the PPQ threaded version... thoughts on it?

http://lanbosarmory.com/index.php?ma..._4191340829622
Old December 24, 2015, 05:13 PM   #8
Machineguntony

Sharkbite, Tornado Technologies. They're my favorite.

https://www.tornado-technologies.com/services.html
Old December 24, 2015, 05:24 PM   #9
Machineguntony

Hifi,

Asking what is the best gun for the issue is like asking what is the best candy. There are so many wonderful options. As long you don't pick Taurus and licorice, your answer can't be wrong.
Old December 24, 2015, 06:03 PM   #10
hifiaudio

Well, other than the lack of a threaded barrel i really like the M&p 9c that I got, so maybe I will just go for the full size m&p 9 with the thread kit included. Seems like the easy route...
Old December 25, 2015, 03:11 AM   #11
skizzums

I think a larger gun would be the best option for you. That depends on what you really want of for though. If you want to be able to shoot quietly than a bigger pistol and a bigger can would be ideal. If you can afford another then go for it. I personally wouldn't invest the money in a small can. But if you just love that particular pistol and it does triple duty for range/SD/HD then I guess it would be worth it for you.
Old December 25, 2015, 10:14 PM   #12
James K
Member In Memoriam

While things are changing (witness the article in the January American Rifleman, many folks recommend against a can on a self/home defense gun. The prejudice of police and prosecutors against "silencers" is so great that any one using one, even in perfectly legal way, has two strikes against him. (The same is true of using a legal machinegun for defense.) In any self/home defense situation, especially with an anti-gun prosecutor and;or judge, anything they can use to influence a jury will be used, and "...silencers are used only by terrorist assassins for sneaky underhand murder..." is too big and easy a target for the gun control gang and their press puppets to pass up.

Jim
Old December 25, 2015, 10:48 PM   #13
KW Gary M

I mean no disrespect to the original post or Author and if I am ASSuming anything please accept my apology in advance. Reading your original post and some that follow I gather you don't have any experience with suppressors or the legalities of obtaining one? There is a lot more to it than threading your barrel and running to the local gun dealer to pick up a suppressor. You have to go through a ton of Government Red Tape and paperwork to buy any Class 3 item. It is fairly easy but for lack of a better word, it's just a "Pain in the ass". Many people suggest setting up a trust to buy it making the paper trail easier.

Also, are you aware a suppressor is not a "Sliencer" by any means? They are not anything like you see on TV. A .22 suppressed is pretty quiet but anything larger will still be pretty clearly heard. They will be a lot quieter but still will be heard. Many people will shoot a suppressed 9mm without any ear protection but personally I wouldn't unless it was just a few shots.

Just my 2 cents.
Old December 25, 2015, 11:15 PM   #14
hifiaudio

Yep I know the legalities. I have a gun trust set up. Just gotta get the host pistol.

question... Glock 19 suppressed... I read a few places where people report cycling issues, or maybe a "weak??" threaded barrel that doesnt do well with a silencer..... any comments on that?
Old December 25, 2015, 11:54 PM   #15
Sharkbite

As i posted earlier, i shoot a G19 (factory threaded) with a cpl different suppressors.

My chosen HD set up is with an AAC TiRant 9S (a mini can) on it. That combo is not absurdly long or unwieldy. Loaded with my EDC ammo (147gn Golddots) its not ultra quiet, but id not hesitate to burn thru a magazine inside if i had to.

Ive shot it at my indoor range a bit and although it doesnt suppress as well as my full size can (SWR Octane 45), its quiet enough for my purposes.
Old December 26, 2015, 05:19 AM   #16
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by KW Gary M
You have to go through a ton of Government Red Tape and paperwork
No, it's not that bad at all. I just put in the paperwork for my 4th silencer and it took me about 10 minutes. Sure, now I have to wait about 4 - 5 months, but I don't have to do anything in the meantime but wait. The hardest part is setting up a trust for your first one, and websites like 199trust.com make it pretty easy these days.

Quote:
Also, are you aware a suppressor is not a "Sliencer" by any means?
Actually, it is a silencer. After all, isn't an inventor allowed to name his invention?

Yes, it's true that it doesn't actually silence the firearm, but the term "silencer" is what Hiram Percy Maxim called it in his original patent, and that was the primary term used for most of the 20th century. The term "sound suppressor" was made up more recently by a gun writer who wanted to make them seem less scary to the general public. Both terms are perfectly acceptable, but the term "silencer" is more correct from both a legal and a historical perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiaudio
question... Glock 19 suppressed... I read a few places where people report cycling issues, or maybe a "weak??" threaded barrel that doesnt do well with a silencer..... any comments on that?
My Glock 19 has been extremely reliable with my Octane 9.

Last edited by Theohazard; December 26, 2015 at 05:34 AM.
Old December 26, 2015, 06:01 AM   #17
mete

cz-usa has a number of suppressor ready pistols !
Old December 26, 2015, 08:37 AM   #18
KW Gary M

Quote:
Original Quote by TheohazzardActually, it is a silencer. After all, isn't an inventor allowed to name his invention?

Yes, it's true that it doesn't actually silence the firearm, but the term "silencer" is what Hiram Percy Maxim called it in his original patent, and that was the primary term used for most of the 20th century. The term "sound suppressor" was made up more recently by a gun writer who wanted to make them seem less scary to the general public. Both terms are perfectly acceptable, but the term "silencer" is more correct from both a legal and a historical perspective.
I apologize for not being technical enough. My response was more for practicality reasons. Mr. Maxium can, and did, call it a "Slinecer" but does it Silence the noise caused from the gun being shot? The famous Magician Harry Houdini called one of his best tricks "The Disappearing Act" but did he actually make his assistant "Disappear" or did she disappear about as much as a Silencer silences a gun?
Old December 26, 2015, 09:46 AM   #19
Machineguntony

For practicality reasons, calling the item a 'suppressor' isn't totally correct either, but I won't get into that because there is already a long thread on that issue.

I especially hate the word 'suppressor' because I'm a big fan of using NFA items and promoting their use. When I use the term 'suppressor' with the uninitiated, I get this 'huh?' look in their eyes. Using the term 'suppressor' doesn't make the item seem any less villainous or hollywoody, as a matter of fact, using the politically correct term 'suppressor' often makes it seem like I am trying to pull something over on them.

Yes, the term 'suppressor' is a politically correct term. Remember that next time we derisively accuse someone else of being politically correct.
Old December 27, 2015, 05:01 AM   #20
Theohazard

Quote:
The famous Magician Harry Houdini called one of his best tricks "The Disappearing Act" but did he actually make his assistant "Disappear" or did she disappear about as much as a Silencer silences a gun?
That's a bad analogy: One of those is a magical trick, the other is an invention. Maxim invented an object that didn't exist before. He named that object a "silencer". Therefore, it's perfectly reasonable to call that object a silencer, and anyone who whines, "It's not a silencer!" is simply showing they have absolutely no clue about the history behind that name. And frankly, I'm tired of hearing that nonsense over and over again.

Just as nobody will claim that Houdini's trick actually caused a person to disappear, nobody will claim that a silencer actually truly silences a firearm. But just as Houdini got to name his act, shouldn't Maxim have been allowed to name his invention?

And what about all the other nouns that don't perfect describe their meaning? Are you now going to start complaining that hamburgers don't actually contain any ham, "black boxes" aren't actually black, butterflies contain no butter, cargo is usually loaded on a ship instead of a car, and a driveway is where you park?

Last edited by Theohazard; December 28, 2015 at 03:18 AM. Reason: typo
Old December 27, 2015, 06:19 AM   #21
Gunplummer

I am sure suppressors have come a long way. Many years ago I owned an open bolt MAC-11. It was extremely quiet, even firing from an open bolt. The only noise I got was from the bullet. I had some one make me up some reloads to get it under the speed of sound, and then the gun would not function. The "Snap" of the bullet sounded like an old cap gun in an enclosed area.
Old December 28, 2015, 08:42 AM   #22
Mobuck

Maybe I missed it but has anyone addressed the functionality issues of certain pistol designs?
I was under the impression that pistols with "fixed" barrels vs. those with barrels that "move" during cycling made better hosts.
Old December 28, 2015, 11:25 AM   #23
Sharkbite

Quote:
I was under the impression that pistols with "fixed" barrels vs. those with barrels that "move" during cycling made better hosts.
All my centerfire hosts are tilt barrel locking types. Mostly Glocks, but 1 Sig as well.

They have been 100% dead nuts reliable with both my reloads and factory ammo. If the ammo will function in my guns without the can..it will function with the can.

I have 2 pistol cans, a Octane 45 and a TiRant 9s. So a full size and a mini. Ive shot the Octane on a G35(9mm barrel), G21, G23 & a G19 The TiRant has been shot on the G19, G26 and a Sig 226.

I know that using a fixed barrel host eliminates the need for a Nelson device and would instead use a fixed barrel mount.
Old December 28, 2015, 12:25 PM   #24
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobuck
In addition to what Sharkbite said, I'll point out that pistols with fixed barrels usually make worse hosts than locked-breech pistols with moving barrels. And that's because the breech opens earlier on fixed-barrel straight blowback designs, sending more noise and debris out of the chamber towards the shooter.

The issue with silencer functionality on fixed vs. moving barrels was an important one back before Neilson devices were invented. But now virtually all modern centerfire pistol cans are available with them (also called pistons, LIDs, or boosters).

(On a side note, some of the silencer manufacturers try to make it seem like their Neilson design is unique and special, but they're all the same basic design and they all allow you to switch out mounts for use with barrels that have different thread patterns. I can't tell you how often someone will come in to the store and ask for one specific brand of .45 silencer because that brand can be put on a 9mm also. The customer always seems surprised when I point out that all .45 silencers from all major manufacturers can do that.)
Old December 28, 2015, 05:40 PM   #25
Machineguntony

One of issues of a moving/tilting barrel design, when used with a silencer is that if you shoot really fast, like Jerry Michaluk fast, the gun and piston and silencer combo makes it feel like you are handling a noodle.

This is especially true if you are shooting the silencer on a machine pistol. It feels like the gun is doing the wave while you're shooting it.