The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 17, 2015, 10:59 AM   #1
hmoos

Holster problem

I have an Uncle Mike's No. 9 holster for my Uberti 1860 Army. It provides good protection for the revolver, EXCEPT it only allows the gun to go in as far as the front of the trigger guard. The gun turns sideways when I am walking and will eventually wear the blueing. The barrel reaches the closed end. I have thought of opening the end of the holster, but that would involve some stitching to prevent the holster from opening farther than I want. Anyone here use this holster, and what has been your experience with it? Do I just need to get a leather holster made specifically for the 1860 Army? Uncle Mike's lists the 1860 as fitting this holster. I'm not a CAS shooter.
Old June 17, 2015, 02:24 PM   #2
Pahoo

Sure wish you had a picture !!!

Quote:
but that would involve some stitching to prevent the holster from opening farther than I want.
Not a huge problem and have had to modify, a number of holsters. However, there might be another way to skin this cat. Could give you a better idea if I had a picture to relate to. My initial thought is that the holster is too small for this C&B. ......

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Powder...item33a467e7a5

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; June 17, 2015 at 03:21 PM.
Old June 17, 2015, 04:17 PM   #3
hmoos

Uncle Mike's holster

The leather holster on eBay shows how I would like for the gun to fit, but it will only go in up to the front of the trigger guard. Not sure if I can post a picture, but I'll try tonight.
Old June 17, 2015, 07:30 PM   #4
hmoos

Uncle Mike's site list

The Uncle Mike's site lists the No. 9 as the right holster for the 1860 Army, and the accompanying photo shows the pistol covered up to the front of the trigger guard. So I guess that is the way it is supposed to fit. I won't buy another holster without trying the fit first. I like the padding on this holster; should provide good protection for the gun. Just wish it covered a bit more.
Old June 18, 2015, 12:05 PM   #5
gwpercle

The problem is the holster really doesn't fit the gun. It's just a glorified padded pouch. And the holster material is soft not sturdy to hold it properly in place.
Personally I would get a leather holster designed and made for the 1860 Army.
If the gun shifts around inside the holster while you walk it , doesn't fit and the moving around is going to wear the bluing more than a proper fitting holster be it leather or fabric.
Uncle Mike is not known for great fitting holsters. Take a look at the holsters from Frontier Gun Leather...nice. And a good holster is a pleasure to own and will last a lifetime so don't skimp on a good holster. You want that gun to stay put and carry easily. You don't want it flopping all over the place as you walk.
Gary
Old June 18, 2015, 12:45 PM   #6
DPris
Member Emeritus

Just spend the money & get a GOOD LEATHER holster made for that gun.
Denis
Old June 18, 2015, 05:18 PM   #7
hmoos

Cabelas Triple K holster

Is the Cabela's Triple K holster with a retaining strap a good fit for the 1860 Army? I'm expecting to have to do a water fit after I get one.
Old June 20, 2015, 12:34 PM   #8
hmoos

Problem solved -- temporarily

I opened the toe of the Uncle Mike's holster and then installed a silver grommet at the end of the cut to prevent it from opening further. Then I got a round black boot lace and ran it through the grommet for a tie down It fits fine until I can find a leather holster that I like and that fits the gun. I see lots of designs that I like but they don't list the 1860 Army as one of the guns they fit.
Old June 20, 2015, 12:47 PM   #9
DPris
Member Emeritus

There are numerous sources for 1860 holsters, running from $45 to $200.
Have you done much of an Internet search?

Cabela's & Sportsman's Guide usually have lower-end leather models.

Hunter Leather might have one, if you check their site or email & ask.

I have a tooled leather Slim Jim (California Pattern) from Old West Reproductions, around $180, VERY nice.

John Bianchi's Frontier Leather has a military repro flapper that's high quality, not too expensive.

There are several places for military patterns under $100.
Denis
Old June 20, 2015, 08:40 PM   #10
gwpercle

Don't do a "water fit". A properly made holster should be fitted by the maker before you get it.
When I was younger, I got a cheap leather holster for a 1911, to make it fit properly I wetted it down , wrapped the gun in plastic wrap , moulded the wet leather to the gun. After it dried, I had rust spots on my gun and a cheap holster that didn't fit. It never did shrink to "fit". I threw that piece of garbage away , went to gun shop and bought a Bianchi #2, 45 auto holster.

That was 35 years ago...and right now I'm looking at that Bianchi #2 with my 45 auto in it. 35 years and still in service. My 1911 still has those places the rust messed up the blued finish...still mad at myself for trying to "fix" a cheap holster.
Just buy a quality leather holster , don't try to buy a cheap holster and make it fit. False economy.....don't make the same mistake I did.....pay for a good holster made for and fitted to your gun . To be honest , every handgun holster I own, except one, is Bianchi, they are great and affordable.

Been there and done it.
Gary
Old June 20, 2015, 09:08 PM   #11
Bishop Creek

These folks make very good, authentic holsters, scroll down a little more than halfway down the page for the California Slim Jim style "Main & Winchester Holster," just $99 and will fit an 1860 Army quite well.

http://www.westernleatherholster.com...ther-holsters/