The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 27, 2011, 08:56 AM   #1
Huskerguy

Anyone use "Loadbooks USA?"

I have looked at them from the outside for many years, never have looked inside of one. I see Midway has them on sale right now. I know the quality of the paper and such is photo quality which doesn't concern me if the information is truly something I can use.

I have heard that some of the information is outdated and with the plethora of information on the net these days, they may not be a good value. Can I get anything form them that is not readily available anywhere else?

Last edited by Huskerguy; May 27, 2011 at 09:43 AM.
Old May 27, 2011, 09:50 AM   #2
Civil War Life

My son bought one for 45 acp. It is just OK. It doesn't replace a good loading manual like Speer.
Old May 27, 2011, 09:52 AM   #3
overkill0084

I've got several. I don't use them very often to tell the truth. Now and again I will pull one out as part of a sanity check of a specific load. I shoot mostly cast, so in many cases they are not really an inprovement over my Lyman manual. I would not be terribly shocked if the Lee manual had the exact same data in it as well. After all, it's pretty much just a compilation of existing data also.
In my situation, I could have probably done without them and been none the worse for it.
“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.” — P.J. O’Rourke

Last edited by overkill0084; May 27, 2011 at 10:17 AM.
Old May 27, 2011, 10:07 AM   #4
a7mmnut

They are a great addition for any reloader. I primarily sought out the T/C Contender book for specific data at a time when sources were quite scarce for 7-30 Waters handgun loads. When it comes right down to it, ALL manuals are outdated after a few years. They still contain good, safe working loads, and should not replace your complete manuals nor your reloading digest with your own specific loads. Ken Waters' "Pet Loads" is another great addition, as well as "Hunting for Handgunners" by Larry Kelly and J.D. Jones--IF you can still find them or have the need. You can't have too much info around.

-7-
Old May 27, 2011, 10:59 AM   #5
BigJakeJ1s

Some of the ones I have seen and bought are quite dated. I would not buy one unless I could thumb through it beforehand to assess the relevance to powders and bullets available today, or at least that I use.

Andy
Old May 27, 2011, 11:54 AM   #6
wogpotter

I use them for load data, for .303, 7.62, .38 Spl & .357 Mag, which is what they were designed for. I like the ability to look at several different sources data when checking or working up a load.
Its not current info, probably because of copyright rules, but is certainly workable.
I would not have them as my only source of info as conventional reloading manuals have more information on the reloading process.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old May 27, 2011, 08:41 PM   #7
jmortimer

Just copies of reloading data from powder and bullet/mold manufacturers assembled in a spiral bound book. I have a couple and like them.
Old May 27, 2011, 09:58 PM   #8
TXGunNut

Only have a couple, not too impressed. Were more useful before I built up my library.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old May 27, 2011, 10:05 PM   #9
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I think they're great if you don't have QuickLoad. I have 2, for 357sig and 7mm-08. There's no quicker way to cross reference single cartridge data, in print anyway.
Old May 27, 2011, 10:13 PM   #10
uncyboo

Quote:
They are a great addition for any reloader.
Like the 7nut said, great supplement. When I use them I take the averages of the start and max loads to get an idea of where I should wind up. If one entry looks out of proportion to the rest I just throw it out.
Old May 28, 2011, 08:46 PM   #11
Red Cent

http://handloads.org/loaddata/default.asp
Old May 28, 2011, 11:30 PM   #12
Jim243

They are just reprints of everyone else load data, nothing new or different. You can get better information off the internet from the powder mfg's websites.

Jim
Old May 29, 2011, 07:59 AM   #13
wogpotter

Quote:
They are just reprints of everyone else load data, nothing new or different.
Not supposed to be either. They are just all the data minus the tutorials all in one convenient location. I think the point is to have all the info available at once & for less than the cost of one manual you have the data from many.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old May 29, 2011, 08:07 AM   #14
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim243
They are just reprints of everyone else load data, nothing new or different. You can get better information off the internet from the powder mfg's websites.

Jim
They are literally photocopied pages of many different manuals but a lot of the data is not easily available for a low price.

Hornady and Sierra for example. Their data is not online. If I want it I can either buy their manuals, at a cost of $56, or I can buy a load book for $4.99.

Granted, if your loading for 15 cartridges you'd be better off to buy the manuals. When it's 2 or 3 cartridges, the loadbooks are a much better deal.
Old May 29, 2011, 09:58 AM   #15
PawPaw

My kids buy me Loadbooks when they're looking for a cheap Father's Day present. I like them because they are a quick, easy reference. Of course, all that information is available elsewhere, but when you're at the bench and have a quick question, it's easy to take the little book off the shelf.

They're a good supplement.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old May 29, 2011, 02:32 PM   #16
Rifleman1776

They are a very handy supplement to the reloading manuals.
I have and use.