The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 27, 2001, 05:55 PM   #1
corsair

Strider knives, worth it?

I've been looking at getting a knife from Strider particularly the WB and I took a look at my friend's custom. They are really impressive. Am I missing out on any others? I've used Cold Steel and Ka-Bar for utility/combat use; does any others out there favor another?
Old December 28, 2001, 10:13 AM   #2
krept

I too have used Cold Steel and KaBar knives. Saw Strider at a local gunshow and was VERY impressed. I'd grab one if I had the cash, but I'll stick to the economical Ka-Bars for the time being. It does what I need it to.
Old December 29, 2001, 08:28 PM   #3
swsurgeon

I bought a Strider AR folder. They are expensive knives, but very sturdy. I'm sure we could all get by fine with a less expensive knife---Striders are for those who are looking for the top end.

A good compromise that you should consider is the new Buck/Strider factory fixed blade. Triple Aught Design has them for $155. There has been some discussion (and a picture) in the Buck and Strider forums at www.bladeforums.com They look pretty decent and I think I'll pick one up to go with the AR (at a much better price)
Old December 29, 2001, 09:01 PM   #4
speed

corsair,

Did you handle any of them?.......I think the cord wrap takes some getting used to,if you don't like the cord wrap they also make g-10 handles

Anyway, I am a big fan of strider knives and I think you are the ultimate judge of it's worth as you will be the one shelling out the money for it. They are high quality and as of now the resale value of striders is great so you can always get rid of it if you are not pleased,but I think you will be.

Have you checked out busse knives?...As far as high end production stuff goes, I am currentlly torn between the two.

As far as some of the less expensive stuff goes''k-bar and the like" I really beleive it can get 99% of the job done and I consider spending big bucks on knives kind of a luxury but I think everyone should own at least one so choose carefully and enjoy your blade whatever you choose