The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 29, 2008, 11:06 PM   #1
FrontSight

Squirrel rifle hunting & safety question

Just wondering, how many people hunt squirrels with a rifle, and if so, are you ever concerned about the bullet traveling to parts unknown & hurting or killing God knows who?

Just seems to me that a .22 aimed at a 45 degree angle and missing the intended target can travel awfully far (they say a mile, right?) & hurt someone, no?

For that reason I have only used shotguns for squirrel hunting; am I being paranoid and it's ok to use a rifle? Cause I just don't understand how it can be safe...
Old September 30, 2008, 07:40 AM   #2
cat9x

I used to use a pistol loaded with subsonic .22's but depending on where you live the distance a .22LR can travel definitely can be a concern. If you're ever in doubt the best bet, the safe bet is to not use them.

If you stationary hunt squirrels you could limit your shots to squirrels on the ground?

Good question though. I only use a 3" .410ga SxS.
Old September 30, 2008, 09:02 AM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

It's the usual problem of squirrel hunting. If a squirrel is on the ground, or on your side of a tree trunk, little to no problem. Skylined atop a branch, a miss could be a problem. Nearly straight above you and you're in a very large area of no people or livestock, little to no problem.

IOW, as with any shooting, good judgement is of high priority.
Old September 30, 2008, 09:33 AM   #4
L_Killkenny

Most people use .22's for squirrel hunting. I haven't ever heard of an injury or death to any person or animal from 22 bullets dropping from the sky. It doesn't mean that it hasn't happened, it doesn't mean that it can't happen. But I'll guarantee that the odds are better to win the lottery. Be safe, make sure that there isn't any houses in your back drop and drop the tree rat.

You take on a lot more risk to you, others and animals every time you drive your car.

LK
Old September 30, 2008, 09:59 AM   #5
GoCart

At the risk of sounding like a total wimp I must recommend at least trying squirrel hunting with an air gun at least once. Take a look at the article below as it lays things out better than I can.

http://www.airgundepot.com/airguns-s...e-hunting.html

I use a Benjamin with scope mount for squirrels around the house and it is a great hunting experience for those of us who have to worry about "waking" the neighbors.

All that said I would ALWAYS prefer to put some powder behind my lead but when I can't get out to the field a solid hunting air gun can provide a great fix. I always advocate at least on decent air gun to any collection for rodents/pests, teaching beginners, or just plain fun.
Old September 30, 2008, 04:27 PM   #6
Gbro

I have been guilty of shooting squirrels in the tree branches many times when I was young. We didn't even consider the consequences of our actions back then. Today I always evaluate my shot prior to taking it.
As stated, make sure of your backstop. Be it a tree trunk or the ground when using .22's.
We did use .22 shorts for the most part back in the 60's. But that was due to the price savings only.
The shotgun I used when it was avalible to me was a .410 SXS also. And we did load it with 3" shells. But I would have to put it across my knee to close it as it wasn't chambered for 3" shells. I have that shotgun in the gun safe today, What a treasure. It brings me back 40 years in a heartbeat

Last edited by Gbro; September 30, 2008 at 04:27 PM. Reason: speeling of coures
Old October 1, 2008, 04:10 PM   #7
Kawabuggy

I know the question was specifically about .22's but if you have a choice, and want to use a rifle, why not use the .17HMR? A 17 grain bullet falling from the sky may still pose a risk, but at less than half the weight of an average 22LR, the risk is diminished. Plus, if you shoot at a squirrel and miss him, but hit a branch, that .17HMR bullet will fragment and be even less of a risk to others.

Even better have you ever seen a squirrel hit with a .17? Absolutely AWESOME!

Around my house, I'm currently trying to use my bow to eliminate a fiber-glass spreading, wire chewing, run around all night and keep me awake rodent that lives in my attic. Yes Mr. Squirrel.. Your time is coming! I'll get you!

Otherwise, when I'm out in the woods, I love my .17 for the tree rats. I can't remember the last time I have even shot a .22 since I got my .17..
Old October 1, 2008, 04:41 PM   #8
publius

When I kill squirrels, it's to eat them. I will sit down in a likely spot and wait for them to come out with my .22 loaded w/subsonics. try to hit them in the head so there is no meat loss, but sometimes end up w/a body shot and meat loss is minimal. with the quiet subsonics I can usually stay still and kill several from the same spot. Not gonna do that w/a 17. Too loud and too much destruction of meat. A 17 falling on someone's noggin is gonna make them just as dead as a .22.
Old October 1, 2008, 07:27 PM   #9
L_Killkenny

A .17 would be worse than a .22. A .22 "falling from the sky" is ALMOST harmless. So is a .17.

Terminal velocity of a falling object is not enough to break skin. Myth Buster's did a special de-bunking the myth of the ability of a penny dropped from the roof of the empire state building to kill someone. They rigged an "air gun" to shoot pennies at "terminal" velocity" and they were able to hold their hand under it. Did look like it smarted though.

So the projectile still needs some of the "extra" velocity provided by the firearm to have keep it above terminal velocity. The .17 starts faster, holds speed better and has a more pointed tip.

A projectile fired almost vertical may very well be safer than projectile fired at a 45 deg angle.

LK
Old October 1, 2008, 08:27 PM   #10
shortwave

IMO a 22 is safe to hunt squirrels with but alot of hunters aren`t safe enough hunters to use one. I live in the middle of the woods. Terrain is very hilly. My property adjoins many acres of deep, mature woods loaded with squirrels. Sitting in my living room early one morning having my first cup of coffee reading the paper, my wife sitting on the sofa across from me, asked me if I was ready for her to fix breakfast. I answered her yes,she got up and didn`t even make it to the kitchen when the living room window cracked. Looked over at window and there was a bullet hole in it. Started looking around and the 22 bullet had knicked the top of the couch and lodged in the wall were my wife had just got up from. I don`t let people hunt around here anymore with 22.

Last edited by shortwave; October 2, 2008 at 03:54 PM.
Old October 2, 2008, 07:27 AM   #11
cat9x

mythbusters provided information that a bullet fired truly vertical poses no threat upon its decent. Very rarely when squirrel hunting are your shots truly vertical meaning the squirrel is direcly above you. Most shots are fired at angles which allows the bullet to retain it's energy suffering less from gravity. If you live in areas that are even mildly populated think safety first.