The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 29, 2024, 09:30 PM   #51
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB
I think literally every part in the M1911 was a machined forging.
Specs were changed on some parts over time- cast slide stops were allowed in the '80s!
Whose specs were changed in the 1980s? The last USGI M1911A1s were manufactured in 1945.
Jeepaholic
Old March 1, 2024, 12:04 PM   #52
Jim Watson

They were buying spare parts well up into the 1980s.

Quote:
To my surprise, I discovered that the original Ordnance Department design for the guide rod was a one-piece fabrication -- but hollow. I always thought the guide rod and head were a press fit through the flange.

I thought so, too. The 1942 spec was turned out of bar stock on a Swiss screw lathe, but I rashly assumed they went to a fabricated part to save money, kind of like the stamped trigger. Nope.
Old March 1, 2024, 02:30 PM   #53
L-2

Interesting (to me) on the guide rod being a one-piece spec (not to say any or all are made that way nowadays).

I've seen (but not me personally, yet) firing pin stops broken. I've seen a slide or two broken. I had one Kimber recoil rod's flange pounded quite a bit, whereas I filed it smoother a couple of times, but it hasn't as yet broken.

I've never had a 1911 mag catch break out of a few brands. I suppose Post 35's mag catch had some voids, or was brittle, and the vibration may have fractured it and was just bad MIM.

I've had previously cracked revolver grips which came with those guns bought used.
I've had 1911 sights break/fracture; slide stop lobes break; bent firing pin; broken plunger tube pin; mag feed lips spread out too far; even fractured mag springs (bad batch replaced by Tripp Research); and I had one 1911 Commander frame develop a crack, replaced by Colt under warranty.

Any 1911 can have breakages is my point, and Wilson-Combat is also my go-to company for good spare parts, but have used some other brands, too, over the years (like EGW or Ed Brown).

I can't help but agree with 44 Amp's opinion on the "tap/rack/bang" reflexive drill should a squib be the cause. For some of us ingrained with that training it can take a quick reflex also to stop oneself from "tap/rack/banging" should the sound/feel of a squib be suspected. I'm all but sure many at my public shooting ranges probably aren't even trained or familiar with that drill (it's ok to be a more or less casual shooter, btw. At least they're out there and not everybody is interested in being the tactical/combat guy).
Old March 7, 2024, 04:55 PM   #54
44caliberkid

In case you hadn’t heard the CMP is partnering with Tisas to build 1911A1 pistols, that CMP will sell.
https://thecmp.org/tisas-partners-wi...d-1911-pistol/
Old March 7, 2024, 05:09 PM   #55
Jim Watson

Yes but...
Tisas M1911 A1 CMP Specs:

Caliber: 45 ACP
Barrel Length: 5 Inches
Accurate reproduction of WWII issued 1911
United States Property marked
Manganese Phosphate Slide, Frame & small parts
Reprofiled Ejection Port
Type E Hammer
(2) 7 round magazines
(2) sets of grips including Accurate reproduction brown plastic grips, and walnut double diamond checkered grips
MSRP: $479.99

Why, oh why can't they cut a GI ejection port? Shouldn't Imitation Army Surplus be as correct as possible short of using other companies' trademarks?
Old March 8, 2024, 10:55 AM   #56
jar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
Yes but...
Tisas M1911 A1 CMP Specs:

Caliber: 45 ACP
Barrel Length: 5 Inches
Accurate reproduction of WWII issued 1911
United States Property marked
Manganese Phosphate Slide, Frame & small parts
Reprofiled Ejection Port
Type E Hammer
(2) 7 round magazines
(2) sets of grips including Accurate reproduction brown plastic grips, and walnut double diamond checkered grips
MSRP: $479.99

Why, oh why can't they cut a GI ejection port? Shouldn't Imitation Army Surplus be as correct as possible short of using other companies' trademarks?
Actually I understand the reprofile is from the larger opening to the original GI specs.
Old March 8, 2024, 01:59 PM   #57
44caliberkid

This quote is from the comments if you scroll down the article:
“ They are parkerized. Only early ones were cerakoted. These newer ones are more accurate reproductions. They have the smaller ejection port like originals and Remington Rand style hammer and other parts. The big thing was getting the ejection port right. No other company I am aware of does that. Tisas is really making a nice piece.”
Old March 8, 2024, 05:18 PM   #58
Jim Watson

I see the comment but the picture shows the usual barn door opening.

Old March 9, 2024, 08:31 AM   #59
jar

Quote:
I see the comment but the picture shows the usual barn door opening.
That image is a 2022 pistol. They simply used an old stock photo it seems and no one caught the error. Look at the serial number. The two digits after the dash are the year code.
Old March 10, 2024, 08:16 AM   #60
Jim Watson

Oh, OK, one of those "just like" pictures that we see sometimes.

So "reprofiled ejection port" means reprofiled to look like the originals we originally reprofiled away from. Got it.
Old March 10, 2024, 10:06 AM   #61
jar

Quote:
Oh, OK, one of those "just like" pictures that we see sometimes.

So "reprofiled ejection port" means reprofiled to look like the originals we originally reprofiled away from. Got it.
I hope so but like you, I haven't actually seen one yet.

But Tisas so far has been pretty straight forward with their advertising.