The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 28, 2009, 12:17 PM   #1
beardenbc

Idea: Micro-30 pistol...

Just me brainstorming here, no real solid plans to do this, but tell me what you think.

I was looking at a picture someone posted of a registered SBR mini with a factory folder, and got to thinking... I have a hunting license, and the handgun hunts are easy to pull tags for, but I have to actually have a bonafide hunting handgun (my Beretta 96 won't cut it). A nice big revolver or Thompson Center is great, but I'd like to do something different for the sake of doing something different.

I could come across a modified stock (perhaps one of those Clark custom thumbhole stocks with the buttstock portion removed), then see how much I can shorten the barrel without messing with the gas system.

Of course all this is done after properly filing all the proper ATF forms and gaining permission to do so.

So in the end, I'd have a low-recoil semi-auto 7.62x39 pistol (albeit a very big pistol) with a 10rd capacity suitable for medium sized game at pistol range and/or backpacking protection from cougars.

My main questions are:
  1. Can a mini-30 realistically be modified to a pistol configuration?
  2. How short can the barrel be taken and still provide enough pressure at the gas block to operate the action?
  3. Would the loss of velocity from such a short barrel be major enough to make it ineffective for whitetail or cougar at pistol range?
I've attached a photochopped rendering of what I have in mind. I figure the pistol grip would have to have some space carved out at the top to allow disassembly. The weight shouldn't be too much more than one of those 10" S&W 500 monsters. A pistol bipod would probably be a good idea.

Feel free to call me a dummy if it applies. I can take it.

Last edited by beardenbc; July 12, 2013 at 10:53 PM.
Old May 28, 2009, 12:38 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

There have been pistols made using the same idea. Probably no federal problem, but don't forget to check with state and local laws not only on possession/manufacture but also on hunting with the gun.

An educated WAG says that with that gas system, you will need about 2" beyond the gas port.

I don't know about the low recoil though. The 7.62x39 is not a full power military round (like the .30-'06 or 8x57), but it is pretty snappy and the pistol will weigh less than a full length rifle.

For velocity, take about 75fps off for each inch of barrel you remove. It should still be more than most pistol rounds.

Jim
Old May 28, 2009, 01:08 PM   #3
beardenbc

Thanks Jim.
That was very informative. I'll make sure to check the local laws before doing anything.
That velocity loss is about what I was expecting. 13 or so inches should give me plenty of punch for a 50 yard shot on medium game.