The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 6, 2009, 09:17 PM   #1
Goatwhiskers

Marlin 39A locks up

I ain't ashamed to ask for help. Got one of these in that hangs up when the lever is all the way down. The lever goes past the lifter rocker and hangs on it and breaks the darn thing. I feel like I'm looking right at the problem and can't see it. The customer worked on it before I got it so don't feel certain about the possibility of something being missing, bent, etc. Anybody got a suggestion?
Old May 9, 2009, 04:45 AM   #2
sadsack

Goat: Will the lever go forward a short distance before it hangs up, or does it hang up when it bottoms out? Either way it sounds like one camming surfaces of the lever and lifter aren't mating up.
Old May 22, 2009, 04:27 PM   #3
GP100man

or bent & cammin too far .

GP100man
Old May 22, 2009, 09:47 PM   #4
Goatwhiskers

I think both of you are on the trail. I got to study another M39 closely, now waiting for parts to show up so I can cycle this one slowly while open and see why this one doesn't cam the lifter up instead of hanging on the lifter rocker and breaking it. It has also been suggested that I shim the lever. Will post what I find for the benefit of all. Goatwhiskers the elder.
Old May 24, 2009, 11:58 AM   #5
Goatwhiskers

Turns out I didn't have the whole story. I put the new rocker in and checked lever and lifter function--perfect. So I reassembled and loaded the magazine. Seems the problem lies in the fact that someone left out the spacer behind the shell stop which causes it to bind the cartridge coming out onto the lifter. Lifter can't come up, lever is still behind the rocker and breaks the rocker when the lever is forced. Got new parts coming. I hate it when someone "works" on something before bringing it in. Same customer brought at the same time a new Marlin bolt action 30/06 with the bolt "jammed". Had a case in the chamber with the primer vaporized and the head expanded from factory .466" to .492". Nice thing was the headspace was perfect. Scary ain't it. Here endeth the epistle. Goatwhiskers the Elder
Old May 25, 2009, 04:15 PM   #6
GP100man

gettin a handle !!

glad ya got a handle on it Goatwhiskers!!

GP100man