The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 29, 2013, 04:10 PM   #1
keithdog

IWB Holster style to decide.

This post is NOT asking for brands or models of holsters, but rather style choice between the three shown. These are the three holsters styles I'm considering for the new M&P Shield I just purchased. The single clip tuckable IWB Kydex style holster or the tuckable hybrid dual clip style holsters? I hear a lot of good things about the comfort level of the hybrid holster, and how well they distribute the carry of a gun. The single clip Kydex holster however looks like a very comfortable holster to me and offers easier on/off functionality. The third is a single clip leather IWB holster which should also be comfortable and have the easy on/off functionality as well. One thought I have about Kydex holsters and other similar holsters is that when I watch videos on youtube demonstrating this holster material, it tends to be noisy when removing and returning the gun to the holster. That may not be what you want when faced with a life/death situation involving a potential threat from a bad guy and you wish to get the jump on him without his hearing the gun being removed from your holster. Where as, leather holsters are quiet.
This is going to be my first IWB holster, so I would like to ask those who have had experience with these holsters what your opinion was regarding every day carry and holster choice of the three mentioned. Thanks in advance for your reply.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Infidel-0511.jpg (25.0 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg HOLX0062HT9115BLKRH.jpg (13.6 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg thCA96Y61D.jpg (8.8 KB, 51 views)
Old December 29, 2013, 04:53 PM   #2
AK103K

Ive tried a lot of IWB type holsters over the years, and have settled on the Blade Tech IWB using the two "pull the dot" straps, and the Milt Sparks Versa Max II.

The Blade Tech is very much like the holster in your first pic, but with two straps that are fairly close together, and and can be angled away (fore and aft) from each other, helping to lock the holster in place.

The VMII is similar to the holster in your second pic, but its a little more compact, and is all leather.

Im a big fan of kydex, and have been since holsters came out in it. If you work and play in an area with warm, humid summers, there is nothing better for keeping you comfortable and your gun dry. The kydex holsters are pretty much indestructible too, and dollar for dollar, are the better deal. Blade Tech's stuff is top notch, as Im sure many of the other better named holsters are.

The noise youre worried about is really no worry. They might make a very slight "click" on drawing, but I doubt anyone but you will notice. You can also "ease" it out, and there is no noise at all. The leather trade off is the "squeak" you get from many new leather holsters. Either way, its more likely a lot louder in your head than it is anywhere else.

One thing I never understood with the "combo" holsters like the second pic is, I always thought they build them backwards, and the leather should be on the side away from the body, and not against it. The kydex is water proof, and wont rub you raw like wet leather will.

If youre in a relatively dry environment, the VMII (or one of the copys too, I would guess) is a great holster as well, and is very comfortable, and very stable.

Personally, Id stay away from the single clip type, as I always found them to move around to much, and some of those clips are not real secure, and the holster can and will come out with the gun if it jumps the belt.
Old December 29, 2013, 07:54 PM   #3
redneck

Single clip if you are looking for an easy on and off holster. They are great if you are in an environment where you need to take the gun off during the day and lock it up somewhere.

Double clip if you want to wear it full time. I've found that single clips tend to shift more easily. They don't move out of place, but they don't maintain a consistant angle. Also, the double clips spread the weight out better. A heavy gun on a single clip can make your pants sag between the belt loops.
Old December 30, 2013, 04:33 PM   #4
2ndsojourn

I personally would prefer the dual clip tuckable. It's a bit more versatile.
You can elect to clip it between your belt and waistband if your pants are too tight like some of mine are.
Old December 31, 2013, 05:04 PM   #5
MadeinAmerica13

I have a Galco KingTuk (which is a hybrid holster) for my S&W M&P9. I've owned a kydex holster before and found it to be bulky and uncomfortable.

To me, the hybrids provide the comfort of leather with functionality of kydex. Also, they are EXTREMELY easy for taking it on and off. At times, I am in an environment where I have to remove my gun 5-10 times a day. It's so comfortable to wear that I usually just take my gun out and store it and keep wearing the holster. But, removing the holster is very simple and (with the gun already removed) can be taken off without undoing your pants or belt.

In essence, the hybrid is the best choice by far in my opinion and is HIGHLY recommended.
Old December 31, 2013, 08:44 PM   #6
Bultaco

I also find the dual clip tuckable holster the best for all day wear. The weight distribution is better & having the flat leather sweat guard between you & the gun is a big deal.
Old January 1, 2014, 01:02 AM   #7
JimmyR

Keith, I have used the single clip and double clip IWB holsters.

The Single Clips, like the Bianchi Professional series you use as an example in pic 3, are good, IMHO, for smaller, lighter weapons, or for carrying in short spurts. Depending on the clip, you are more likely to have the holster shift both along your belt and at an angle. As others have said, they are easy to take on and off, and can be less cumbersome than the double clips.

The Double Clip hybrid holsters, popularized by the Crossbreed Supertuck, Comp-Tac Minotaur, and Old Faithful designs, are great for full size firearms that are being carried more than a few hours at a time. They also tend to keep the gun in one place, and are often marginally slimmer than single clips. I have used one of these for a S&W J frame, and it really is kinda overkill, but it holds my CZ 75 beautifully. I have found that the double clips can be a little uncomfortable while sitting, due to the large size of the holster backing.

Most of my opinions are based on my body shape (roundish), and your experiences may vary.
Old January 1, 2014, 01:52 AM   #8
veamon

Versacarry is great if you want something extremely minimal.