The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 7, 2013, 05:01 PM   #1
JSAW

Coach Gun

I've got a side-by-side 12 gauge and from what I could gather online it seems to be a Jing An SMP-12 imported by Century Arms.

It was a Christmas gift from my grandfather and I'm actually rather fond of how well it shoots and I'd like to keep it. But a few years ago some springs broke in the mechanism, and I'm certain it was because I was younger and dumber, and had been shooting rounds that I shouldn't have.

Also, the pivot seems to be a little loose, is that something I should be concerned about? And if it is, is there a fix?
Old February 7, 2013, 05:08 PM   #2
PetahW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSAW

some springs broke in the mechanism, Also the pivot seems to be a little loose

is that something I should be concerned about? - OH, Yeah....

And if it is, is there a fix? - None that won't cost more than the gun's worth.
Quite often, some imported guns were made of sub-standard metal, and/or didn't receive proper hardening of critical parts.

While a temporary repair might be able to take out some of the pivot's looseness, the "repair" would most likely be short-lived.

I would hold the gun aside, in memory of your Grandfather's thought for you, and put the "repair" money into a better quality gun.

Old February 7, 2013, 05:35 PM   #3
Grant D

They only cost about $255.00 new,so I would buy a new one and keep the other as a wall hanger.
I keep mine by my easychair in the livingroom.
Old February 7, 2013, 05:58 PM   #4
JSAW

I was of the mind that one of the trigger retention springs had broke, but I just checked my triggers and they seem fine, the left trigger is a little loose but when the hammer is locked back for that barrel it doesn't trip without force. The problem is with the safety apparently, it flops about...

I'm also looking into the loose pivot, from what I can tell the problem seems to be on the lugs underneath the barrel, they look a little worn. And the base of the gun, the area of the pivot pin and locking mech looks fine.

Could some shims be a possible fix?
Old February 7, 2013, 06:41 PM   #5
BigD_in_FL

The gun is what is called "off face". The danger lies in that there is not sufficient seal and tight lockup so during firing, the pressures could cause an unpleasant situation possibly leading to injury. On better SxS guns, it means the hinge pin needs replacing - not an easy or cheap fix.
You might try calling the importer to see what they can do as far as parts and repairs
Old February 8, 2013, 10:15 PM   #6
JSAW

I know it's a cheap-o, but I'm quite fond of how well the gun feels. I'll take it to a smith and see what it would cost to get it right.