The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 23, 2012, 06:54 PM   #1
allaroundhunter

Stag 3G is finally here!

Well, it kinda is. I just ordered the upper receiver to throw onto the lower that I already have. I ordered it about 4 weeks ago and was told that there was an 8-10 week lead time....you can imagine how excited I was when I was told that it would be arriving in half of that time!

Anyways, it is a beautiful upper! It has a Shaw 18" 1-8" twist, stainless steel barrel; a rifle length gas system; a Samson Evolution 15" free-floating handguard; and Stag's 3G compensator.

I topped it off with a Burris MTac 1-4x scope.

I will hopefully be able to take it out to the range tomorrow to at least see how it shoots, and then there is a 3-Gun match this weekend that I intend to run it in provided that it doesn't have any hick-ups at the range!

Sorry for the cell phone pic, it is about the best camera I have at the moment
Old October 23, 2012, 08:50 PM   #2
Valerko

I had the same upper. Until I've blew it up with bad reloads. But that's another story
Anyway, that upper likes heavier bullets. It shoots like crap with 55g
Muzzle brake on the other hand works like a charm
Old October 23, 2012, 09:19 PM   #3
allaroundhunter

Good to know, thanks!
Old October 23, 2012, 09:54 PM   #4
HJ857

Yeah, I really like mine too. However it shoots the 53 grain Vmax bullets extremely well, and I shoot it a lot at 500 meters.

Samson says they're working on a bipod stud using their mount system, but no idea when that will be available.

I think this my second best group from the summer, the best group being not a lot better than this and I can't find a photo of the plate. I get more horizontal stringing much of the time. It's a 12 inch plate and while I'm not what you'd consider a skilled marksman, I'm happy with the results.

Old October 24, 2012, 03:19 PM   #5
allaroundhunter

I was able to get out to the range to see how the 3G shoots and I was not disappointed.

The 100 yard dot in the reticle is 2.4 MOA, so I am overall happy with the accuracy that I am seeing out of this gun considering that dot will cover the majority of my group. I wasn't shooting for perfect groups, just fast enough to acquire a good sight picture.

The top right diamond was shot with American Eagle 55 gr FMJ rounds while the shoot-n-c was shot with Tula 62 gr. Needless to say, for now the AE will be my ammo and will be what I run in competition this weekend.

Tags
3 gun , 3-gun , stag 3g