The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old June 4, 2023, 06:48 PM   #1
mk70ss

What Is Your Favorite .22 Rifle?

Mine is a heavy barrel, laminate stock Ruger 10-22 Target with a Nikon 3-9 scope. At 100 yard off the bench, it holds 10 shot groups at just about 3/4 inch with Aguila 40 grain copper washed ammo.

Last edited by mk70ss; June 4, 2023 at 06:57 PM.
Old June 5, 2023, 12:33 AM   #2
stagpanther

Very nice--both the rifle and the results shooting. I like CZ's and mine like RWS ammo the best but I only shoot it occasionally since it's premium priced stuff.
Old June 5, 2023, 01:36 AM   #3
FrankenMauser

Flavor of the week is a Marlin 880SS that I have set up for Precision Rimfire.
Very new to me rifle, having picked it up just a month ago, or so.
But one that I have wanted for a while, to pair with a Marlin 882SS that I bought 25 years ago.
Shooting well. Not as well as I want, but probably as good as it needs to be.

After that, my beloved Ruger 77/22. Will shoot 1/4 MoA or better all day, as long as it gets fed decent ammo and the monkey pulling the trigger doesn't screw something up. But I am not willing to abuse it in a competition environment. So, it is a squirrel, rabbit, and snowshoe hare meat maker. (When not punching the staples out of my targets, to make retrieval easier.)

But I do have an auction find 10/22 sitting at the LGS, awaiting pickup...
Time will tell.
Old June 5, 2023, 07:58 AM   #4
Spats McGee
Staff

That's a tough call. And unfortunately, I don't have any current pics uploaded here.

Favorite bolt plinker? A Ruger American Rimfire, standard 22" barrel. I had a scope on it, but decided I like it better using irons. The stock is a different color than the one I linked, but otherwise the same.

Favorite Target Rifle? Ruger American Rimfire Target. Just like the linked one, except that she wears a Nikon Prostaff Rimfire II scope and a bipod.

Overall favorite? Probably the 10/22 that I've had for 40+ years. I've swapped out the stock for a Hogue, added a red dot, and put a threaded barrel on it. She's not the tack driver that The RAT is, but she'll eat anything, and is certainly MOSC (Minute of Soup Can) accurate.
Old June 5, 2023, 10:07 AM   #5
ballardw

The one I'm shooting at the time...
Old June 5, 2023, 11:52 AM   #6
Pahoo

Tough Call

Quote:
That's a tough call. And unfortunately, I don't have any current pics uploaded here.
It is a tough call so I guess I will default to the current one that I shoot the most.. ...... 10/22 Varmiter/target.

However;
Anshutz and TC-Contender, are great shooters .....

Be Safe !!!!
Old June 5, 2023, 02:05 PM   #7
Shotgun Slim

I'm going a different way. M&P 15-22. Not crazy accurate but shoots pretty well. Not owning any fancy wood stock but beginners can't hurt it. Mags are dirt cheap and hold a bunch. Trigger is not bad for the price range. I like it and the grand daughters love it. In spite of the recalls and issues it's just a fun piece that helps people smile.
Old June 5, 2023, 04:20 PM   #8
jpx2rk

Tough call on favorite, as I have a Vudoo V22-s and Turbo V1 for RFBR activities, and just acquired a CZ 457 MTR for more RFBR activities. I have a couple 10/22's with Feddersen barrels that are good for lots of different things, and a couple antique Annie's that are no longer offered that shoot darn good for a cheap Annie.
Old June 5, 2023, 05:18 PM   #9
Dano4734

My Winchester 190. Never jams for me and very accurate
Old June 5, 2023, 07:03 PM   #10
stagpanther

Favorite as in one I actually own? I was looking at one of these yesterday--22lr shooters can be pretty darn serious.
Old June 5, 2023, 09:59 PM   #11
bobn

kimber 22 hunter (sporter from yonkers) with a weaver t10 scope on it. no 2 is a 46b mossberg with factory folding peep.
Old June 6, 2023, 05:50 AM   #12
BarryLee

Remington Nylon 66. Obviously based more on emotion than anything else, but still my favorite.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old June 6, 2023, 05:56 AM   #13
Rimfire5

Favorite bolt .22LR is the Cooper 57M. Close second is Winchester 52C.
Favorite Semi-auto is a Kidd.
Old June 6, 2023, 08:08 AM   #14
micromontenegro

My Walther KKJ
Old June 6, 2023, 09:18 AM   #15
stagpanther

Meet my little friend; CZ 457 Jaguar.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9206.jpg (194.4 KB, 855 views)
Old June 6, 2023, 09:42 AM   #16
taylorce1

My favorite .22 rifle to shoot growing up is my Dad's Wincherster 06 pump rifle. My favorite now is my Bergara BMR and Ruger 10/22 laminate with Whistle Pig barrel both using my SilecerCo Sparrow suppressor. I also wish I had kept my Marlin Model 60, young and dumb I guess thinking they'd always be around and affordable.
Old June 7, 2023, 04:54 AM   #17
darkgael

This one: Anschutz 1827 Biathlon rifle. Fortner straight pull bolt.
Old June 9, 2023, 07:51 PM   #18
L. Boscoe

when was the 66 last made?
Old June 10, 2023, 05:25 AM   #19
DaleA

Over the years I've had a couple of the Ruger Target 10/22 rifles...the ones with the .920 barrel and I've really wanted to like them but I never got the accuracy you have with yours. (Post #1.) I see now Ruger has a 10/22 'Competition' in addition to their 'Target' 10/22...might be something to look into...like I said I like Rugers.

As far as bolt action .22's go I've really been impressed with the CZ rifles I've seen (disclaimer: I don't own any) and more recently a friend's Bergara BMR. I've seen them shoot some very tight groups.

My friend tells me the Bergara BRX with a steel barrel or carbon fiber barrel (the steel barrel is heavier, but cheaper than the carbon fiber barrel) is the way I should go if I want a semi-auto and any old Ruger 10/22 magazines I have would be compatible.

All that said, .22LR rifle talk always puts me in geezer mode where one summer I was kicking around the idea of using my summer job earnings for a then top-of-the-line Anschutz 54 for a bit under $400.

Back then the Ford/Chevy debate was Anschutz 54/Winchester 52---Winchester seemed to be the favorite at Camp Perry but Anschutz took the Olympics and International meets and I was in the Anschutz camp.

However, being an impressionable young guy, when a Honda 300 Dream motorcycle showed up for $200 the hard cold reality of the number of impressionable young gals I could impress with a rifle verses a motorcycle tipped the scales.

In closing there is a LOT to be said about the 'buy once, cry once' philosophy of spending enough money ONCE to get something you'll really treasure.

Last edited by DaleA; June 10, 2023 at 05:30 AM.
Old June 11, 2023, 07:30 PM   #20
bamaranger

.22's

Wiki says the Rem Nylon 66 rifle was last made in 1989, that seems a bit late to me, I thought they'd departed prior, maybe Wiki is including clones which seemed to have surfaced at some point in time as well.

I'm .22 rifle poor, but the one I shoot the most is a Ruger 77/22 stainless, synthetic (boat paddle stock) It wears a Leupold rimfire 2-7x scope and shoots Remington Golden Bullet bulk HP well enough that I have not searched much for another cartridge. It rode in the back of a patrol rig for a decade with no particular special care other than an occassional wiped down and pull through. There was a period of time when I tried to shoot it daily, 10 rds around supper time every evening. The rifle got a Volquartzen sear early on, other than that no other work. It has fired and cycled flawlessly for over 20 years with simple maintenance. I think that little rifle may be the best gun money I ever spent!
Old June 11, 2023, 08:41 PM   #21
44caliberkid

My Henry, blue frame, octagon barrel. Years ago I borrowed one for a .22 Buffalo shoot and it seemed like I couldn’t miss. Bought one next time I saw one on sale. I can’t say how well it groups but shooting objects or game it always hits. It is almost psychic. I can be off balance, out of breath, in a bad shooting position and still hit what I’m shooting at. It also never miss fires. I save dud rounds from some of my 22 pistols and they always fire when I run them through the Henry.
Old June 17, 2023, 11:00 AM   #22
xtriggerman

After I built the little one, I sold the full size.

Probable the best in open sight plinker I have

Scoped would be a Marlin 57M all tho its magnum.
Old June 17, 2023, 07:58 PM   #23
tangolima

Mine is a Marlin 81 bolt action. The cartridge guide was broken when I found it on a shop's bargain rack. Got it for $90. The rifle's action has 2 sears, similar to remington 700. I want to be able to single feed, so I chose not to replace the broken cartridge guide. Instead I modified the other components to make it feed ok. It shoots quite well.

As my eyesight continues going south, I finally put a no-name 4x32 scope on it. Open turrents and AO parallax. It is now my simulation training tool for long ranger center fired. Every week I shoot about 100 rounds trying to hit soda can at 150yd to build up my instinct to read the wind. Being able to score a hit within 2 shots is the goal. I now can do it quite comfortably. Working on 200yd. It is exponentially more difficult. I'm doing great if I can hit 1 out of 10 shots.

My go-to ammo is Aguila super extra HV. Good value.

-TL

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
Old June 19, 2023, 11:18 PM   #24
AL45

Remington model 572 fieldmaster pump. My Dad bought it for me when I was about 13. Marlin 39A that I bought in a pawn shop a few years ago.
Old June 20, 2023, 12:55 AM   #25
tangolima

I also have a marlin 39A, and I wanted it to be my favorite. It didn't happen though. It shoots reasonable ok. But my fingers hurt after working the action for a while.

Mossberg 151k auto can easily be the up and coming favorite after installing a scope. It requires 3/8" rail rings. It truly can shoot the lights out. It is difficult to single feed though.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk