The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 26, 2016, 09:08 AM   #1
HistoryJunky

Single clip IWB holsters

I'm looking for a decent, quick on and off holster. The carry gun in question is the Smith and Wesson M&P Shield .40.

I don't know anything about these type of holsters. Are they sufficient for stable carry? How does it compare to a dual clip holster like aliengear?

Last edited by HistoryJunky; February 26, 2016 at 10:28 AM.
Old February 26, 2016, 09:13 AM   #2
Spats McGee
Staff

I have a Galco Triton for my G19. It's stable for carry, but unless I really cinch it down, it wants to come off the belt when I draw. Honestly, it seems to do best when I put it outside the pants, but inside the belt.
Old February 26, 2016, 09:36 AM   #3
Wishoot

For full size pistols, I really prefer double clip or double loops. Single loop/clip holsters are okay for smaller pistols.

I have a single loop holster for a G19 and find that it just isn't stable enough for my tastes. With any movement, the cant changes and the holster moves around too much.
Old February 26, 2016, 10:27 AM   #4
HistoryJunky

Sorry I guess I mis-posted. Just woke up... I'm out there somewhere. The gun is a Smith and Wesson M&P Shield .40.

Would the smaller profile of the gun make it more suitable for a single clip style holster?
Old February 26, 2016, 10:56 AM   #5
Wishoot

In that case, yes.

While I still prefer a double clip/loop for my shield, I have a couple of single clip holsters that work just fine too (Clinger Stingray and a High Noon Hidden Ally). Their clips seem to work really well and I've never had the holster come off my belt while drawing. I did have this problem with a couple other holsters however.
Old February 26, 2016, 11:01 AM   #6
Sharkbite

Look at the Blade-tech Klipt.

Single clip kydex. Great design and well made. The Cabbalas by me has started stocking Blade-tech products which is nice

Ive used Blade-tech stuff since starting at Front Sight (1997) and have always been happy with the gear.
Old February 26, 2016, 11:32 AM   #7
HistoryJunky

Are the Kydex single clips fairly slim profiled? Looking to get something for summertime, jeans and a t shirt carry.
Old February 26, 2016, 11:58 AM   #8
Spats McGee
Staff

One of the things I've noticed is that the dual-clip holsters (like the CBST & the clones) can be thinner than the single-clips, because you're not "stacking" the clip and the body of the holster. My CBST takes up a lot of ground in the up-down and left-right directions, but it's a pretty slim profile in terms of how far out it sticks from my waist.
Old February 26, 2016, 11:59 AM   #9
JERRYS.

look at the sideguard IWB minimal clip. http://sideguardholsters.com/holsters/IWB_Holsters.htm
Old February 26, 2016, 12:47 PM   #10
Pond, James Pond

I had one for my G19 (still have the holster, sold the gun) and one for my snub. Both were Galco Soft-Tuk

I found them comfortable, but more so with the snub. To be fair, I've used the snub one waaay more than I ever used the holster for the G19...

Because of the single anchor point, I find they don't pull the gun against the body all that well, hence why snub at "appendix" position. In that place, the snub was both comfortable and well concealed.

The G19, which on went at about 4-5 o'clock was fine when standing, but leaning over the butt would stick out significantly. Had it been a G26, perhaps it would have been OK...
Old February 26, 2016, 06:41 PM   #11
lee n. field

Quote:
I have a Galco Triton for my G19.
SEcond on the Triton. I have one for a j-frame that works well.

Alas, I don't see the Shield listed.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old February 26, 2016, 07:16 PM   #12
P71pilot

For anything over about 16oz gun weight empty, you really don't want a single clip IWB holster. Trust me, it will not stay completely put, especially if you will be walking alot or getting in/ out of your car/sitting down. You will have to do a LOT of re adjusting. Double attachment point IWB holsters basically eliminate moving of gun position. And if you are skinny and carry a big gun in warmer weather, even the slightest shift in cant or position may be the difference from printing or not printinf
Old February 26, 2016, 07:51 PM   #13
Cheapshooter

Personally I prefer the two clip, hybrid IWB holsters even for small guns. Like my Kahr CM 9 which some even consider a pocket gun.
It just makes the gun so much more stable, and to me comfortable.
I tried a single clip custom built holster from an individual I'm not even sure is still in business. This was for a XD40 Sub Compact. The gun seemed to tilt downward, and move around with only one clip. His design had the clip on sort of a tab to fhe rear of the hooster, behind the gun. So I sent it back, and had him add a flap with another clip Iin front. That solved the tilting problem, but even with a double reenforced mouth on the holster it still tended to crush when the gun was removed making it hard if not impossible to reholster. The Kydex shell makes for a so much better IWB holster
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old February 26, 2016, 11:59 PM   #14
HistoryJunky

Thanks for all the insight guys. I think I'll just stick with what I know and just get another Alien gear for my Shield.
Old February 27, 2016, 08:38 AM   #15
P71pilot

I am a proud new owner of an alien gear leather IWB holster. The leather is rrrrrreally thick and the whole holster feels extremely durable. I am small, and the holster is just a bit thick and the kydex part is a wee bit stiff/wide for me. I think an all leather IWB would be more comfortable for me, but I am going to keep the AG holster as it is tolerable when my pants are pulled up so high and I wear pants that are 2+ inches bigger with a nice belt
Old February 29, 2016, 04:56 PM   #16
Corrections Cop

I love my Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 3.0. I had a cheaper galco single clip for a while, then I switched the Alien Gear, don't think I would ever go back to a single clip now.
Old February 29, 2016, 09:46 PM   #17
silverstang23

Haley Strategic Incog by G-Code. You won't regret it. Can even get it with a mag carries. Super comfortable and easy to attach/detach
Old March 1, 2016, 11:09 PM   #18
Kennydale

Love my Appalachian Concealment Gladius (AIWB) for my G17
Old March 8, 2016, 10:19 PM   #19
BillG174

I have two Nate Squared Tactical Professional IWB holsters (n82tactical.com), one for my Glock 17 and one for my Glock 30. The holster has a single clip and is extremely comfortable. I wear a Better Belt USA gun belt which provides very good support. The single clip holds the holster and gun very well and the holster settles into the side of my body.

Freedom Is Not Free
SAF, GOA, Kansas State Rifle Association
Old March 8, 2016, 11:39 PM   #20
NateKirk

I use a kydex IWB holster from Cook's Holsters. It's pretty simple and does the job. It's a single clip.

― --Thomas Jefferson
Old March 9, 2016, 12:54 AM   #21
Sarge

I've got a beat up old Safariland 27 that has been my main IWB for 5 years. I'll order another when this one gives out.
Old March 9, 2016, 09:44 PM   #22
Captains1911

I've never found single clip holsters to be anywhere near as stable as a 2-clip, regardless of the size of the gun. I also find single clip holsters to be less comfortable, because the maximum thickness increases by locating the clip in the same spot as the gun, rather than offset like on a 2-clip design.
Old March 12, 2016, 09:26 AM   #23
dschifan

I recently bought the techna clip for my shield. Was hesitant as its not a holster but it works very well and is nice for comfort/room wise inside your waist area. I however would never keep a round chambered as shooting yourself in the leg does not sound fun.
Old March 15, 2016, 10:05 PM   #24
05kas05

fist holsters

i carry a glock 26 gen4 as of now and i use a fist k6 holster it is a simple no frills no thrills kydex holster.
the holster is made from a thin kydex so it does not add a lot of bulk to your weapon.
the holster rides low inside/on the waistband which is what i like. it might not win any fashion shows but so far i have had no problems with the one i have purchased. i had purchased some other clips for different mounting and i find i like the belt loop mounting clip the best.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg k7beau.jpg (47.7 KB, 36 views)
Old March 17, 2016, 07:16 PM   #25
Captains1911

Quote:
I recently bought the techna clip for my shield. Was hesitant as its not a holster but it works very well and is nice for comfort/room wise inside your waist area. I however would never keep a round chambered as shooting yourself in the leg does not sound fun.
Sounds like you probably aren't ready for appendix carry.