The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 23, 2016, 08:27 PM   #1
RainFlyForgetter

Headlamps for Self Defense

This will likely be controversial...

I've been using a headlamp for self-defense and love it.

When something goes "bump" at night, I slap on my headlamp, rack my gun, and clear the house.

I chose my headlamp through this helpful site: http://expertgrade.com/headlamps/

Headlamps are super bright, shine the light right where I need it, and lets me keep two hands on my gun as I protect my loved ones.

Thoughts?
Old February 23, 2016, 08:36 PM   #2
michaelcj

Bullseye
Old February 23, 2016, 08:41 PM   #3
Doc Intrepid

When you are moving (in darkness), and are fully illuminated, and your intruder is stationary, your intruder has tactical advantage. Chances are your intruder may become aware of you before you become aware of them.
Old February 23, 2016, 09:07 PM   #4
burrhead

If for some reason you don't want to use a hand-held light, put a light on your weapon. Your head is the worst place. Not only does it advertise you're coming, you may want to look around without the light following your head.

I'm offended by people that are easily offended.
Old February 23, 2016, 09:34 PM   #5
jmhyer

I don't really subscribe to the notion that a light makes you an easier target. But having said that, I prefer either a handheld light or a weapon mounted light. No one knows my house in the dark like I do. Most of my maneuvering can be done in near-dark conditions. Then, when I need it, a handheld or weapon mounted light is easier to actuate momentarily.

I'm not saying your method isn't very convenient. I'm just not sure it's as practical as the other options.
Old February 23, 2016, 09:46 PM   #6
jmr40

I don't like the idea, especially indoors. If you have time to put on a head lamp you have time to turn on the lights. Outdoors in a camping situation where animal protection is the main concern it is a good option.

Usually you don't want the light on all of the time. A weapon mounted light is a better choice or a good quality flashlight as a 2nd choice.
Old February 23, 2016, 09:51 PM   #7
kilimanjaro

I don't clear the house, I stand in my bedroom doorway, out of sight, and wait to see if there is in fact anyone else in the house, while protecting the entries to my bedroom and the other bedrooms at the end of the house.

If there is anyone, that's when 911 gets called and a challenge goes out.
Old February 23, 2016, 10:07 PM   #8
hartcreek

A light on your head is fine for camping but for clearing your house you will wind up a corpse. Get your behid up and start walking around in the dark to get your eyes accustomed to the dark. I walk all over in the dark with no light you can too. If you are really concerned about seeing someone use a gun mounted or hand held light or spring fdor some night vision equipment yah cheep skate. I have had night vision equipment for ten years. It sure helps when you want to get to the deer stand without scaring everthing off.
Old February 24, 2016, 08:33 AM   #9
OldMarksman
Staff

Posted by RainFlyForgetter:
Quote:
When something goes "bump" at night, I slap on my headlamp, rack my gun, and clear the house.
That will work, if there's no one there.

But if there is, neither your racked gun nor your headlamp will stop bullets from hitting you.
Old February 24, 2016, 08:44 AM   #10
Doc Intrepid

Gun-mounted lights (in my opinion) are 'special-use' items.

One main objection to them is the Safe Gun Handling Rule of "Never let your muzzle cover anything you're not willing to destroy".

If you're shining a gun-mounted flashlight around a dark room, looking at one thing or another, it's nearly inevitable that your muzzle will wind up covering something you may not want to destroy. You wind up using a flashlight with a gun attached, instead of the reverse.

Except for very unique circumstances, I'd prefer to stick with a handgun in one hand and a flashlight in the other. IMHO this allows greater flexibility.

YMMV.
Old February 24, 2016, 11:42 AM   #11
F. Guffey

Things that go bump in the middle of the night

Something went bump in the middle of the night. My wife heard it and her big dog heard it. She got up to turn the light in the hall; nothing. She and her big dog went to the den and turned the light on, again, nothing. She makes her was across the den to the kitchen; she turns the light on and again, nothing. She made her way to the office and found nothing. And then she headed for the living/dinning room; she reaches over with her right hand to turn the light on and it was about that time things picked up. She began running in place, waving her arms and hollering; and then realized her big dog was looking for a clue. It was about that time she realized what ever it was she was looking at had been there for a while; anyhow, the dog knew it was there; he saw me stand it there.

The next day I called her; all she said was DARTH VADOR. I reminded her about Darth Vador, I explained to her again I did not have a place for it so I stood it between the wall and piano. She said no problem; I turned him into a sailor cat. She carried him to the back door and sent him sailing. It took a while but she calmed down and retrieved Darth. Darth now resides behind a tall boy dresser.

Darth was at the NYC premier of Star Wars along with all the other masonite cut outs. Unfortunately for Darth, they used liquid nails to attach him to the front of the theater wall; when removed he lost a foot and part of his sword.

Food for thought; I gave her a 12 gage two-row; I gave her two 12 gage shotgun shells. When she went to investigate “Things that go bump in the middle of the night” she did not bring her two-row, she did not bring her two shotgun shells. I can not imagine what the old 1852 square grand piano would look like after getting hit with double ‘0’

F. Guffey
Old February 24, 2016, 01:37 PM   #12
James K
Member In Memoriam

Years ago, I heard of a similar "home defense" situation. A man was sure he heard a noise downstairs, got his .45 auto and crept down the stairs. Sure enough, in the light from a streetlight, he saw a man standing in the middle of the living room, apparently clad only in shorts and a T-shirt! The intruder had a gun and it was pointed right at the home owner! Swiftly, just as he had been trained, he fired off a double tap!

And blew the heck out of the antique full length mirror his wife had bought at an antique sale the night before. The noise from the shots died down, but the louder noise from his wife lasted a lot longer.

Jim
Old February 24, 2016, 01:39 PM   #13
Mike Irwin
Staff

If you're wearing a headlamp...

And someone breaks into your home...

And they take a shot at the light that's shining at them because it's the only thing they can see to shoot at...

Well, you do the math.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old February 24, 2016, 02:05 PM   #14
g.willikers

Blame tv and movies.
Actual training, who me?
Old February 24, 2016, 03:31 PM   #15
zincwarrior

Can I proffer an alternative.

Head lamp but not on, weapon with weaponlight or flashlight.
The head lamp is for the 99.9% circumstances where you will need a light but not for BGs.
Old February 24, 2016, 04:24 PM   #16
F. Guffey

Anyone in the area of southern Louisiana should know what a 'bull eye' is. Then there are raccoon hunters complete with battery packs.

F. Guffey
Old February 24, 2016, 06:22 PM   #17
wogpotter

Ask an Aussie, they had (& maybe still have) the same thing, but with Koalas.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old February 24, 2016, 09:55 PM   #18
K_Mac

Zincwarrior's suggestion is exactly what I have bedside. I like a flashlight rather than a weapon light, but a good headlamp is a very handy thing in the dark. I would not use it for "clearing" the house though.
Old February 25, 2016, 08:22 AM   #19
Double Naught Spy

Headlamp? Not enough ON/OFF control. Really might be better just to turn on overhead lights. Any handheld, head worn, or weapon mounted light is apt to draw attention toward you.

Quote:
One main objection to them is the Safe Gun Handling Rule of "Never let your muzzle cover anything you're not willing to destroy".
I find this fairly amusing when my light will light up a room when it is pointed at the ground.

Quote:
But if there is, neither your racked gun nor your headlamp will stop bullets from hitting you.
And yet people keep arguing that body armor isn't a good idea. You are right, lights and guns make very poor ballistic shields, day time or night time.
Old February 25, 2016, 09:28 AM   #20
Dave P

Are you the one selling these headlamps ???
Old February 25, 2016, 09:59 AM   #21
9x45

RainFly, you very seriously need to get self defense training from a reputable school whose instructors are ex LEO/active LEO, and quit listening to Joe Biden (rack the gun?) and quit wearing a target illuminator.
Old February 25, 2016, 10:25 AM   #22
zincwarrior

Quote:
and quit listening to Joe Biden (rack the gun?) and quit wearing a target illuminator.
That was pretty harsh. Looks like his first post and he's seeking advice. If someone asks you for directions do you punch them in the nose too?
Old February 25, 2016, 11:35 AM   #23
wogpotter

I have one of the older Petzel units. Its nice for use if I'm camping or something similar, but I don't think its a good tool for a confrontational situation.
I got it before all the Lumen craziness, but it seems to be about 40~50 lumens. Its a bit dazzling in a campsite with everyone eyes night adjusted, but nowhere near bright enough to dazzle or disorient.
Possibly one of the new high intensity ones might do that, but the "bad guy" will know you're coming from several rooms away & that has to be a major disadvantage.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old February 25, 2016, 12:15 PM   #24
Llama Bob

People shoot at the light. Hence the FBI light technique. Putting the light on your head might be unwise in that context
Old February 25, 2016, 04:55 PM   #25
rpseraph

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilimanjaro
I don't clear the house, I stand in my bedroom doorway, out of sight, and wait to see if there is in fact anyone else in the house, while protecting the entries to my bedroom and the other bedrooms at the end of the house.

If there is anyone, that's when 911 gets called and a challenge goes out.
THANK YOU, YES! LOGIC! REASON! WIN!

That said... when I was young and single I cleared my house a few times just like I see the cops on TV do it.

To kilimanjaro's scenario, I do have a light mounted on my weapon (TLR-3) if it did hit the fan.

Tags
headlamp , headlamps , self-defense