The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 19, 2015, 08:45 AM   #51
garryc

Once someone has crossed the line to aggressive conduct it is very hard to deescalate. Hard and dangerous as he will very likely see your attempt to deescalate as weakness. An aggressive act on your part might be seen as a challenge, and aggression breeds aggression.

Your voice and your body language sends messages to the potential predator. That actually begins all the way at the start of his initial evaluation of you as prey. Let's take eye contact for example. If I glance at someone and my body language is that of confident strength I am simply saying, " I see you, you do not concern me." If I stare I either send a message of fear or a challenge. But, at a point the eye lock is important as it sends a message that you are not afraid and you will destroy him.

Let's understand that a lion does not attack a lion unless he see's him as weak or he is provoked. And a lion knows a lion. Simply, the risk is too great.

But, biggest thing, don't expect to walk through a vipers pit while they are slithering and not expect to get bitten. So stay the heck out of bad areas and away from predators.

I carry a firearm always when I'm off duty. I do not go into area's that bad stuff happens. I would no sooner go to central Cleveland at night than I would step off a 4 story building. If you do then you are asking for it, and what you ask for you will eventually get.