The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 4, 2009, 02:13 AM   #26
Hawg

Quote:
if you leave a show two hours before closing, how do you know what they have left on the table at the end?
Those last couple of hours are the best time to make a deal.
Old March 4, 2009, 03:19 AM   #27
Piper Cub

Love gun shows and have gone to them most of my life. In my parts they have beer and nachoes at the shows. Great place to see old friends.
If you look you can find a deal.
Old March 4, 2009, 06:21 AM   #28
Doc Hoy

I am sticking by my guns (Pun intended)

Folks,

I used the word "dissappointed" in my post about gun show vendors, because I am dissappointed when I can't get a new pistol at a good price. Thinking it over, it isn't reasonable to think that a gun show vendor who may be dealing in lots of a dozen or less with the overhead of travel can match the prices of the high volume folks who have their distribution system already established by selling boats and tents and camp stoves.

Heck, I was most disappointed by the fact that the new stuff on the tables was something I either already have or don't want. These guys should call me up before the show, ask what I need, hold one under the table for me and then sell it to me at half price, or better yet, give it to me as a gift because I am so handsome.

I also used the word "mad" because it makes me mad when a vendor clearly intends to exploit the ignorance or emotion or impatience of someone in the crowd. Now, as Mykeal said, there is no point getting angry on the spot. There are other days and other opportunities. There is no point in spouting alternative prices to the vendor in an attempt to extract a lower price because the vendor may simply not have the power to reduce the price. He is constrained by market factors that are beyond his control.

Someone said that there is no comparison between eBay and gun shows and that is true. The motives of the buyer are entirely different and I view that as a good thing when it comes to the shows. There are far fewer idiots at gun shows than there are on eBay. On Sunday there was one less when I left.

Certainly it may be worthwhile to wait until the very end of the show when vendors are faced with the decision to either pack up their stuff or come off their prices. I have never tried it, but I bet it happens all of the time.

I have put myself in the position of disagreeing with some of you who have a hundred times my experience. I don't do this lightly.