The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 20, 2008, 10:58 PM   #1
noelf2

Taylor's & Co Sharps carbine

Today I saw a Sharps carbine reproduction, used, and I was really tempted to pick it up. It's a paper cartridge 54 cal carbine model. The seller has a sign on it saying it's a reproduction confederate sharps. It looks purposely aged. The barrel and action aren't blued but aren't shiny and smooth either. Appears to have some very minor pitting in some areas on the barrel, especially near the front sight. All appears to work ok. I opened up the action and the bore and rifling are like new. I know some models have a patch box on the stock, but this one doesn't. It has one trigger. I kind of like the aged look it has. The stamps on the barrel say "made in Italy" and also "Taylor's and Co." Other similar ones that I've seen online look like they have a case hardened finish but this one doesn't, maybe removed when it was aged.

Now, the original price the guy had on the rifle was $660. It's now marked down to $450, and has an additional %30 off for the next week. That makes it $315. Is that a good deal?
Old December 20, 2008, 11:51 PM   #2
Fingers McGee

Yes. Give you a whole new world of BP to try. Paper Cartridges
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old December 21, 2008, 12:27 AM   #3
Smokin_Gun

Quote:
That makes it $315. Is that a good deal?
I'd say so what ever Brand it is aslong as if it has a gascheck sleeve it the breech it moves some or can be removed with the breechblock out.
I jus' got an ARMI SPORT 1863 Sharps CAV Carbine .54 Paper Cart. List price in the Shop was $595 and they took $500 cash. this one was Brand new.

There shpuld be markins' or removed markings spots. There are IAB (Dixie Gun Works)new ones are supposed to be good, problem in the breech with blow by on the older ones. Ubertis, Armi Sport, C-Sharp(American made) And Shilo Sharps the last two bein' $1200, $1800, $2200.
Then make or buy Nitrated Paper, (Used phonebook pages) ...then find a ringtail bullet or mould that won't fall down the Bore.
I haven't shot mine yet but can't wait. Still locating the right mold.

Plus I got an 1871 H&R .45/70 32" Buffalo Classic in the mean time for les than you'll be buyin ' the Sharps for. I got um for a Buffalo Hunt come Spring...and my friend made me a deal on the H&R I couldn't pass up.

I always wanted the Sharps Carbine, if you like um like I do it a Great Pirce at $350...jus' check the breach out close, drop the breech block out and inspect it. (Lever on right outside breech forward and down, pull pin out catch the breech block)

SF
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php
Old December 21, 2008, 05:17 AM   #4
HOGGHEAD

Rifle

Confederate?? I thought the Sharp's was a "Dam Yankee" rifle?? Isn't that the rifle that the Berdan Sharp Shooter's used??

Sounds like a pretty good deal to me. Tom.
Old December 21, 2008, 10:18 PM   #5
arcticap

Actually it sounds like a steal of the ages! (Ah Ha! An aged steel pun!)
Old December 21, 2008, 10:35 PM   #6
Hafoc

Hogghead,

I seem to remember that the Confederates made some copies of Sharps rifles. Wait a minute.. yeah. A quick Google gives some returns for something called a S. C. Robinson.

Of course the South used a good many captured and battlefield pick-up weapons, so they must have gotten some Sharps that way too.

It makes sense they'd put the Sharps into production if they could. It was a good breechloader, but perhaps more importantly it didn't require metallic cartridges as did the Spencer or Henry. A nitrated paper cartridge would have been more within the South's manufacturing ability.

Yes, Berdan's Sharpshooters used the Sharps. If I remember correctly some of the earlier Sharpshooters got stuck with Colt Revolving Rifles, which definitely had their problems. I take it that Sharpshooters was not a pun on Sharps Shooters, then. Although I'm sure that if it had been, nobody would have minded.
Old December 22, 2008, 05:00 AM   #7
Raider2000

Man I wish I was there because I'd be coming home with a Sharps copy "been wanting one for some time but could never bring my self to for over the $$$ for one" because that is a Deal there.
Old December 22, 2008, 06:57 AM   #8
Hoss Fly

If i was there i'd be buyin - not typin
Old March 4, 2009, 10:05 PM   #9
JohnMoberly

Want to buy it...and sell it to me

Hey want to buy it and sell it to me..? ha shoot me a PM if your interested
Old March 6, 2009, 10:48 AM   #10
noelf2

left you a pm. Rifle is gone.