The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old March 27, 2008, 04:20 PM   #1
Beretta686

OB semi MAC to FA w/magnet?

This has been asked elsewhere but no one seems to have a for real answer:

I was at the the range playing with my MAC-10 and started shooting the breeze with some folks there and one of them claimed that back in the day he had an open-bolt semi-auto MAC-10 and that he would put a magnet in a certain spot which made the weapon go full-auto.

I fired my Bull-**** flare and called him out but he stuck to his story.

Has anyone ever heard of something like that before?

To me it seems like the coke bottle or potato silencer and similar urban legends. But you never know.....

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”
Old March 27, 2008, 04:44 PM   #2
Silvanus

Never heard of something like that before

Even if it's true, it would be the kind of full-auto where you pull the trigger once and dump the whole magazine. It would be totally useless.
Old March 27, 2008, 04:48 PM   #3
VUPDblue

All I can think of is that he was trying to tell you that he found a way for the firing pin to constantly be in battery, thus causing slam-fires. All I can say is that it would have to be one hell of a strong magnet. I call BS...
Old March 27, 2008, 05:09 PM   #4
Beretta686

Quote:
All I can think of is that he was trying to tell you that he found a way for the firing pin to constantly be in battery, thus causing slam-fires
If it was a closed-bolt gun that could be true, but he was refering to those grandfathered open-bolt guns, which I believe are basically a regular MAC-10 without the stock & "Happy Switch" (making them pretty much worthless & boring IMHO since MACs are only fun on FA, but to each his own).

I think he was claiming that the magnet was holding the sear from engaging for semi-fire, which as silvanus said would make it fire until the ammo was gone.

And I think "totally useless" pretty much wraps up the MAC-10 from a practical standpoint, but they sure are fun.

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”
Old March 28, 2008, 10:06 AM   #5
douglasschuckert

Well... this is getting into some dangerous territory here. If this thread gets into the 'technical' ways of how to do it, then the ATF gets wind, some questions are going to be asked.... Although not illegal, we all know how they operate. Due Diligence and Justice arn't words in their vocabulary.
http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Fe...d.aspx?id=2668 - HR 1022 Assault Weapons Ban & Law Enforcement Protection Act (2007) http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/409898348 - Online Petition against! DO YOUR PART, WRITE YOUR DAMN REP, and DEMAND VETO!
Old March 28, 2008, 11:06 AM   #6
SDC

Certainly possible, by either disabling the disconnector, or by blocking the movement of the trigger bar to "sweet-spot" the trigger.
Old March 28, 2008, 05:48 PM   #7
LiquidTension7

Totally useless? I totally disagree. I like mine better than the Uzi or MP5.

Richard Lage did have something to do with that, though.
Old March 28, 2008, 05:52 PM   #8
LJ-MosinFreak-Buck

all i can think of is putting a magnet against the interrupter, but... lol.
and I will state this, I don't know much, but I've been told if the interrupter was some how sheared off, the hammer striker thingy wouldn't have anything to hold it back after first shot so... idk.