The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 27, 2006, 11:03 PM   #1
OSU_good_ol_boy_33

AR-15 optics

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum. I am planning on purchasing a Stag Arms left handed AR-15 with a flat top. I was just wanted to hear some of your opinions on which optic i should buy for it. Its going to be the M4 style with the collapsible stock and 16in barrel, and I am not planning on putting a full sized high powered rifle scope on it. So it will have to be a fast aiming scope made mostly for CQB type shooting. Thanks in advance for your opinions
Old February 28, 2006, 01:04 PM   #2
FirstFreedom

This one:

http://elcan.phpinternet.com/specter_DR/

http://elcan.phpinternet.com/specter_DR/DFOVDemo.html

That'd be my choice.

You didn't say what your budget was.
Old February 28, 2006, 01:15 PM   #3
Chris Phelps

that is the most awesome sight I have come acrossed yet... but Im having trouble finding a price. Do I want to know how much it is?
Bushmaster Superlight AR-15 5.56mm / Custom 24" Heavy BBL Varmint AR-15 5.56mm / Ruger M77 .257 Roberts / Ruger MKI 22LR Pistol / EAA Witness 9mm Pistol / Daisy 2202 22LR / Remington Viper 522 22LR / Stevens 200 .223 / Savage 10FP 24" .308 / Mauser 98 Sporter 30-06
Old February 28, 2006, 03:21 PM   #4
OSU_good_ol_boy_33

Really not worried about the how much it cost just whether or not the optic is worth the money. If I find that one of the optics is way better than the other than its worth the money, but if there isn't much difference in the product but a big difference in the price tag then i'll buy the more reasonably priced of the two
Old February 28, 2006, 03:35 PM   #5
OSU_good_ol_boy_33

Wow that sight looks sweet, but 2grand or more? I don't know about all that. How about the ACOG, EOTECH, and Aimpoint? any opinions on those or any other optics I did not mention?
Old February 28, 2006, 04:22 PM   #6
Jayb

I put an EOTech and a RRA Dominator mount on my 16" AR and I'm very pleased with it. The dot sits just above the sight post, and co-witnesses very well. "Both eyes open" shooting is very comfortable.

Some of my rifles
Old February 28, 2006, 05:51 PM   #7
STEVE M

+1 on the Eotech. Put one on my flat top 16" bushy (colapsable stock). 0 complaints so far, have never tried anything faster.
Old February 28, 2006, 06:05 PM   #8
Wildalaska

I like the EOTECHs and Trijicons. I use a TA31RCO and it is as fast as an EOTECH and more accurate at Long range. The TriPower is cool too,

WildlovesemallAlaska
Old February 28, 2006, 07:43 PM   #9
shooter_john

+2 more for EOTech

Because I have 1 on 2 different rifles!
Old February 28, 2006, 07:53 PM   #10
OSU_good_ol_boy_33

Thanks to all who have posted so far, I see that a lot of you like EOTECHS, and a post was made by one trijicon fan. Anyone have an Aimpoint, or have a good reason why the other optics are better than an Aimpoint. I have been looking at the different optics a lot lately and i'm just trying to narrow my choices down. Thanks y'all
Old February 28, 2006, 07:58 PM   #11
shooter_john

I compared EOTech's with aimpoints when I was buying for my personal gun (other is for work), and I just found the EOTech to be quicker and easier to pick targets up with. I like looking through a 'window' more than looking through a tube.
I mounted mine forward on the quad rail, then put a RRA tactical carry handle on the flattop to co-witness with. It has proved to be the ultimate setup for ME.
Old February 28, 2006, 11:45 PM   #12
FirstFreedom

Elcan Specter DR

I don't have one; no way. I wish. But, I can still safely say it'd be my first choice, *IF* I could afford it, which I cannot. But the OP didn't specify a budget, so I could live/dream vicariously. I've heard that the DR will likely go for $1,500 to $2,000 or more, when they become available. What's not to like about combining a 1-powered optic like an Eotech with a 4-power optic like an ACOG, in a package of the highest quality?
Old March 1, 2006, 07:14 PM   #13
ShotGun_Newbie

Costly or not?

Shooter_john, how much did you pay for one?
................| |_
................|[]|
.....(\__/)...| |]
..._(='.'=)=O| \
..//(")_(")....|__\<---This Bunny mean's Bussiness!!
.O
-"Those who would sacrifice a little Liberty for more Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Benjamin Franklin
Old March 1, 2006, 07:20 PM   #14
spacemanspiff

the eotech is more than capable for slapping on a cqb-rifle. it will be combat accurate, and easy to use.

now, if you want to get slightly better than combat accuracy, consider the trijicon tri-power. the reticle shape provides all the difference in the world. using the tip of the chevron gives a precise aimint point, as opposed to a simple dot, even if that dot is 1moa.

i'd imagine the aimpoint to be on par with an eotech. just seems easier to find eotechs than aimpoints, least in any shop i've been in, and WWG usually sells out within days (not weeks!) of getting eotechs in.
Old March 1, 2006, 07:25 PM   #15
Rainbow Six

Another prop for the RRA Dominator mount and EOTech... I'm just gettin' started with this combo but I like it already. The EOTech doesn't offer any magnification (I read somewhere that they are making a magnifying device that mounts behind it but haven't seen one) but it's really fast on target and as was mentioned above, on the Dominator mount it works well with the iron back up sights.

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper
Old March 2, 2006, 03:24 AM   #16
Optical Serenity

I love my Aimpoint, I use it at work and out of work...I prefer the Aimpoint over the EOTechs, but both good.
Old March 2, 2006, 09:11 AM   #17
Chris Phelps

EOTechs just don't do it for me. I understand they are good and all that, but I can't get over the fact that they remind me of the $10 crossman red dot sight I had on my first paintball gun when I was 10. It was cheap, Didn't hold zero, and everyone on the field could spot that thing at night.
Bushmaster Superlight AR-15 5.56mm / Custom 24" Heavy BBL Varmint AR-15 5.56mm / Ruger M77 .257 Roberts / Ruger MKI 22LR Pistol / EAA Witness 9mm Pistol / Daisy 2202 22LR / Remington Viper 522 22LR / Stevens 200 .223 / Savage 10FP 24" .308 / Mauser 98 Sporter 30-06
Old March 5, 2006, 07:44 PM   #18
GSB

Quote:
It was cheap, Didn't hold zero, and everyone on the field could spot that thing at night.
The Eotech is certainly not cheap, it holds zero, and the reticle is not visible from the business end.
Old March 6, 2006, 01:07 AM   #19
OSU_good_ol_boy_33

Thanks to everyone who posted. I really appreciate your replies to my post they were very helpful and informative.

P.S....hey Chris, i was just wondering what the quote or lyric is at the bottom of your post, the statement about bloody hands. I have seen that before and was wondering what that was.
Old May 20, 2006, 11:53 PM   #20
jay21401

I bought both Eotech and Aimpoint but I like the Eotech best

I bought both Eotech and Aimpoint but I like the Eotech best.
Here are descriptions of both the Aimpoint M2 and Eotech 552:

http://www.tacticalsight.com/eotech5...ight-p-37.html

http://www.tacticalsight.com/aimpoin...ight-p-28.html

Both are good sights but I prefer my Eotech because it has a wider field of view than the Aimpoint. The Eotech also has a mount built into the sight, so there is no need to buy a mount for it. In addition, the Eotech(552 or 512) takes common AA batteries.
Old May 27, 2006, 10:41 AM   #21
5whiskey

I use a trijicon reflex, but that's just me. No batteries required, window shooting and not tube shooting, and I haven't been able to break the one issued to me for 2 years now. I like it so good that I bought one for my personal rifle.

It's not the newest and sexiest, but it works quite well and is truly parallax free as far as you can effectively shoot with it. Not great past around 200m, cause the dot masks the target. That's why I co-witness with my irons, though.
Old May 27, 2006, 11:12 AM   #22
UniversalFrost

I have an aimpoint comp M on my bushmaster m4a3 14.5/1.5 zero'd at 50 (also the same at 200) . Have never had a problem with it. I personally don't like the eotechs becasue I have seen too many of them fail while I was down range. Only saw 1 acog fail and it was repaired and returned. but the acog's are very expensive. I would buy and acog if I could afford it. They are great for the longer ranges. Stick with aimpoints comp m line up for the shots up close and to 200+ .

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old June 11, 2006, 09:37 AM   #23
Jeepmark2005

I have an Eotech on my AR and am VERY pleased with it. The Aimpoint also gets high marks. The benefits with the Eotech are a very wide field of view due to the lock of a tube and no muzzle side signature. They offer Super fast target aquirment and great accuracy. The sight can be removed and replaced for cleaning with minimal disruption of sight zero. The down side is battery life is a little low. Check the web site for specifics

The Aimpoint is favored by some and this is just a matter of personnel prefereance. The Aimpoint DOES have a muzzle side signature. The enemy can see your dot. The Aimpoint is more expensive and you will need to buy a seperate mount. The Battery life is amazing on the Aimpoint. Something like 50,000 hours on one set.

My recommendation is to try both and decide what you like.

My choice was the Eotch because it was less expensive. Did not reqire a seperate mount , did not reveal my position to my target and offered a wider field of veiw. Either one will serve you well. Good luck
Old June 11, 2006, 09:51 AM   #24
UniversalFrost

the aimpoint comp m line offers a honeycomb style anti reflective cover for the front lens. This also does not allow any light /relection to escape while at the same time offering you the same view as before. I don't remeber where I got mine from, but I have seen them at midway. Think they are around 40 depending on the model. Also a side note. those of you with an EOTech here is a challenge. Go out with your eotech mounted on your weapon and drop it onto the eotech from waist (approx 3.5-4 feet). Now see if it works. If it doesn't go out and get an aimpoint Comp M series. Those that try this will end up 90% of the time getting a Comp M. Those that don't try this are accepting the fact that their sighting system is not as durable as the rest. They do have a nice sight picture, but the battery life (or lack there of) and the fragileness compared to other systems are their major drawbacks. Hope you have your iron sights sited, because you will eventually end up using them if you have an eotech out in the field. Great for the range, bad for the field. Just my 2 cents and personal experience and the feedback of many many platoon mates that had the misfortune of relying on eotech in the field.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old July 11, 2006, 02:59 PM   #25
MisterPX

Guess I'm a 10%er.
Been thrown/dropped/hurled more times than I can recall, with NO ISSUES.