The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 19, 2014, 10:36 PM   #1
optimator

Which scope??

Today I bought a new Savage Trophy Hunter XP in 308. It came with a Nikon Prostaff BDC 3-9X40. In the safe I have a Nikon Prostaff 5 2.5-10X40 & a older Leupold VX-II 3-9X40. The Prostaff 5 was intended to go on my varminter AR. I had thought about putting the Leupold on my Marlin 336 30-30. Now I'm thinking about putting the 3-9 from the Savage onto the AR & the Prostaff 5 or the Leupold on the .308 and whatever is left on the Marlin. Or not. What says you all?
Old July 19, 2014, 10:55 PM   #2
big al hunter

I would leave the 3-9 prostaff on the new savage, put the Leopold on the Marlin and put the other prostaff on the AR. Or sell the 2 Nikon scopes and get Vortex. But I am partial to Vortex. If you are happy with the Nikon, no reason to change.
Old July 20, 2014, 12:33 PM   #3
bman940

Nikon Scope

O., I just had this chat with a guy on Fri., who bought the same package rig. He wasn't so sure about the scope until I talked him into going to the range and then let me know what he thought. Go figure, now he's keeping the scope right where it is. I told him about using Nikon's Spot On Ballistic Program to dial in his BDC reticle to make accurate longrange shots. This gentleman is older and walking him through entering his info was a piece of cake. Best part is I talked him out of using cheap ammo for hunting and got him to spring for some quality expansive ammo for deer season. All he has left to do now is a slight trigger adjustment and he's ready for the field.

Don't give up O., let me know how a day at the range goes for you.
Old July 20, 2014, 11:06 PM   #4
arizona98tj

Going hunting, with the possibility of long range shots, without actually shooting his new rifle at the various ranges he hopes/believes the BDC is now accurate at? I hope you have at least one range sessions planned with this guy.
Old July 21, 2014, 02:50 PM   #5
AllenJ

First congratulations on your purchase, I hope it is everything you want and look forward to reading a range report about it.

The BDC would work best on either the 308 or 223, flip a coin and go with it. Whichever rifle does not get the BDC should get the better of the two scopes left over. Look through each in low light to see if there is a difference and use it. Put what is left on the 30-30.