The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 27, 2018, 01:01 PM   #51
jrothWA

For a first timer, may I suggest a 4" .357 Mag revolver.

Use the .38 Spl wadcutter and get your sight picture and trigger squeeze perfected.

You get your arm muscles developed learning to shoot, then you can use better performance .38 Spl ammo anf then go for practical experience with .357 Mag ammo for carry.
If you still want a semi then you can trade-in fr a semi.

You also have the ability to use the revolver for hunting.

Your decision, good luck.
Old March 27, 2018, 01:31 PM   #52
TxFlyFish

In regards to PPQ...

Light trigger and above average recoil = accidental double taps (and yes it does happen more often than one would think) . Walther removed the one unique feature of the P99 AS to make the M2 easier to sell in NA market. Basically it’s a light trigger striker with above average recoil and dimensions

Also this is just my opinion owning several walthers I know a lot of ppl like the PPQ

Last edited by TxFlyFish; March 27, 2018 at 01:51 PM.
Old March 27, 2018, 04:08 PM   #53
dgludwig

Lots of good information here. I would only add that, if he isn't already a member, the "new to shooting" op give strong consideration to joining the National Rifle Association. Without the NRA, the op would be choosing between getting a flintlock or a percussion handgun.
Old March 27, 2018, 06:55 PM   #54
Mackie244Bud

LBussy Says:
Quote:
Sig Sauer P320. It's in the same class as those you've mentioned and a damned fine gun. I have fired all that you have mentioned and I own a P320. If you have an opportunity to fire one as you try out guns, you should.
+1 from me! Except I have the Compact RX Red Dot version
However I have NOT shot every other gun mentioned in this post.

I also like changing the "Grip Modules."
My P320 came with a black Medium Grip Module.
I like the "Small" grip module better in my hand.
So I ordered a Small "Olive Drab Green" (OGD) then I ordered a "Flat Dark Earth" (FDE) grip module.
I had the FDE grip on for about 6 months, I just put the OGD on and it looks like a different gun.
After another 6 months or whatever, maybe I'll put the FDE back on or the Bronze.
Sig has also come out with a "Dark Bronze" and I think like a Pewter color.

Lat's face it, Sig's Trigger Assy Chassis that allows so many changes with the P320 is really inventive and not devoid of fun!
In more ways than one!

A P320 FDE Holstered.jpg
P320 OD Green 3.jpg
A P320 FDE.jpg

What other gun offers that!
Not to mention that in any grip, it just plain shoots Great!!!
That has to be part of why the Army chose it.
People could do worse!

Mackie244 / Bud

Last edited by Mackie244Bud; March 27, 2018 at 07:22 PM.
Old March 27, 2018, 11:49 PM   #55
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
... if he isn't already a member, the "new to shooting" op give strong consideration to joining the National Rifle Association. Without the NRA, the op would be choosing between getting a flintlock or a percussion handgun.
I don't want to be that guy in this kind of thread but I think too much credit is offered to the NRA here. They do a lot of good work. However, they also have a robust history of compromise or even selling out gun rights. For instance, we didn't have to do those constitutionally dubious federal background checks before the 1990s. (Can you imagine?) The NRA helped to impose that upon us. Even now, they continue to embrace it in their responses to tragedy. There's a lot more to discuss on this topic but this thread might not be the best place.

What is important is that you take up some activity to defend this right for yourself and others. That means informed voting. It could mean helping to responsibly introduce new people to guns or shooting sports when you are ready. It could sometimes mean being the one who stands up against lies and propaganda at the water cooler. It could also mean joining local, state, or national groups that support our rights and there are several.
Old March 28, 2018, 09:41 AM   #56
johnwilliamson062

I link to a thread in my signature that may help.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...ighlight=first
Old March 28, 2018, 11:20 AM   #57
Carl the Floor Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmodragoon View Post
I don't want to be that guy in this kind of thread but I think too much credit is offered to the NRA here. They do a lot of good work. However, they also have a robust history of compromise or even selling out gun rights. For instance, we didn't have to do those constitutionally dubious federal background checks before the 1990s. (Can you imagine?) The NRA helped to impose that upon us. Even now, they continue to embrace it in their responses to tragedy. There's a lot more to discuss on this topic but this thread might not be the best place.

What is important is that you take up some activity to defend this right for yourself and others. That means informed voting. It could mean helping to responsibly introduce new people to guns or shooting sports when you are ready. It could sometimes mean being the one who stands up against lies and propaganda at the water cooler. It could also mean joining local, state, or national groups that support our rights and there are several.
I will kindly disagree. The NRA does a astronomical amount of work for OUR 2nd amendment rights. Actually hard to even keep up with their enormous work load that they do. Background checks were inevitable. In politics, in life, in deals, etc. there is and away's be a give and take. Sometimes giving a little gains even more. They are not stupid.
Is the NRA proactive? You can bet your as& on that one. Programs all across American on Safety, Hunting, CCW, and on and on. HOW ABOUT A REAL PROGRAM FOR SCHOOL SHOOTING? Please tell me who is doing something at all. I am totally proud of the NRA. And you can bet your last on this. Without them, you would not even own a firearm.

Old March 28, 2018, 01:31 PM   #58
dgludwig

Quote:
There's a lot more to discuss on this topic but this thread might not be the best place.
Then stop. All I did was to suggest that the op, new to shooting, consider joining the NRA. NRA malcontents just can't resist any opportunity to shoehorn their pet grievances into any rational discussion, no matter the unintended consequence.

To the op: There are plenty of other organizations and groups that support your right to keep and bear arms you can join; activities that you can participate in; letters to the editor you can write and politicians you might be able to influence. Joining the National Rifle Association is just a good start.
Old March 28, 2018, 02:54 PM   #59
Mikeshootny

Thanks everyone for the suggestions

I have joined the NRA. I did that a while ago actually. I don’t agree with every single position taken or opinion held by NRA executives, like Wayne LaPierre, but I do agree with many and I think the organization does a lot of good things. I don’t have to think it’s perfect in order to think it’s good. I’m a Republican and proud of that even though I don’t agree with all other Republicans on all issues.

As to the subject of my OP......I’m extremely grateful for all the thoughts and advice expressed. It’s much appreciated. I got a chance to shoot at the range this past weekend. I’m not gonna be recruited by any spec ops units anytime soon but I did ok. Took my time. I only was able to fire 30 rounds each with Glock 19(Gen 4), Walther PPQ M2, and HK VP9. I found the one I had the most trouble with was the PPQ. I could control it but the recoil caused more muzzle flip than the other two, at least for me it did. I have heard about the PPQ trigger being fantastic. I actually didn’t like how much take up there was with that trigger leading up to the wall before the break. The break is very crisp, which I did like but the take up annoyed me some. I imagine if I shot that gun and that gun only, I’d adjust to it but I just didn’t care for it. The G19 I handled a little better. There was nothing about the trigger I really disliked but nothing great either. I’ve heard the Gen 5 version is suppose to have a better trigger, but I’m not sure when I might be able to get ahold of one to shoot. I’ve been heavily advised to get a Glock because of their legendary reliability. The two friends that have helped me get started with shooting along with my another family friend that lives in Virginia are huge Glock fanboys and swear by them. My buddy in Virginia was 10 years in marines with two Iraq deployments. He civilian carries Glock and only Glock. Says he trusts no other 9mm as much in terms of reliability. Not saying his opinion is definitely correct.....just that it’s a strongly held opinion. The HK VP9 was the gun I liked the most out of the three. I handled it the best and found it most comfortable to shoot for me. Just a hair more so than the G19. It was also most comfortable in hand. I really like the Ergos and how adjustable the grip is with both back straps and the side pieces(can’t think of their name?) that give you like 20+ different possible grip adjustments. I like the VP9 trigger the best. The break didn’t feel quite as crisp as the PPQ BUT I like every other aspect of the trigger more than the PPQ....orG19.

So my plan is to work one on with an instructor and continue to shoot and shoot. I’m gonna Just shoot the G19 and VP9 for now Again all the help is greatly appreciated
Old March 28, 2018, 02:58 PM   #60
LBussy

Glad you got out and tried some stuff!

Re: triggers. ANY gun (that I know of) can have trigger work. If you really like one but want the trigger to do something different, a quick chat with your local gunsmith can fix you right up.
Old March 28, 2018, 04:10 PM   #61
Ricklin

Quite surprised

I became a WA resident back in 2015. Had not had occasion to purchase a handgun in WA prior.
Did not even know about the mandatory waiting period. In fact had to go out to the car and retrieve my concealed permit for WA. Too darn many plastic cards to have them all on me, all the time.
I keep it in my briefcase which is always with me but might be in the car.

Glad that I could take my new purchase with, the fun store is 60 miles from my place.

Been packing a gen 3 G19 for quite a few years now. I downsized to an LCP for one that is ALWAYS on me. I still tote the G19, but not on body.

The LCP just disappears. Love that tiny little thing.
Old March 28, 2018, 07:18 PM   #62
kmw1954

Nice report and good to hear you were able to get out. I think you are going about it the right way.
Old March 28, 2018, 10:18 PM   #63
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
Then stop. All I did was to suggest that the op, new to shooting, consider joining the NRA. NRA malcontents just can't resist any opportunity to shoehorn their pet grievances into any rational discussion, no matter the unintended consequence.

To the op: There are plenty of other organizations and groups that support your right to keep and bear arms you can join; activities that you can participate in; letters to the editor you can write and politicians you might be able to influence. Joining the National Rifle Association is just a good start.
Look, friends, I think I indicated that I'm glad for the good things that the NRA does. I was specifically reacting to the counterfactual statement that "without the NRA, the op would be choosing between getting a flintlock or a percussion handgun", which mirrors the later comment that "without them, you would not even own a firearm".

I think reality is important. I think we should all understand both the current and historical reality of the NRA and their role in the unconstitutional growth of gun control, from the first federal infringements of our rights in the 1930s to the NICS system under current debate. If the goal is to protect or restore our rights, then it would be as irresponsible to ignore these issues as it would be to trivialize them as "pet grievances".

I know this somehow remains controversial and it can be an emotional issue for some people. I said what I did in hopes that people who haven't would go out and examine the issue for themselves and hopefully explore the other options (which we've both suggested) as part of a broader approach to saving everything from weekend plinking to having forums like this one to even discuss these issues in the first place.
Old March 28, 2018, 10:33 PM   #64
Cosmodragoon

Mikeshootny, that's the right approach. Like the P99, the lightweight PPQ is a little snappier on recoil. It doesn't matter much to me in 9mm but it would prevent me from recommending either in .40 S&W. I like the VP9 and I'll be curious to see how it holds up against the Glock as you do more shooting with them.
Old March 29, 2018, 06:36 AM   #65
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeshootny View Post
. . . .As to the subject of my OP......I’m extremely grateful for all the thoughts and advice expressed. It’s much appreciated. I got a chance to shoot at the range this past weekend. . . . . So my plan is to work one on with an instructor and continue to shoot and shoot. I’m gonna Just shoot the G19 and VP9 for now Again all the help is greatly appreciated
Mike, it sounds like you've got it narrowed down. Glad you got to compare a few pistols side-by-side. My fellow TFL residents are constantly telling new shooters "go to the range," and "get instruction," and with good reason. Only you can tell us what fits your hand and what you like in a pistol. I think either the G19 or the VP9 will serve you well.
Old March 29, 2018, 07:15 AM   #66
OhioGuy

I have the Walther PPQ M2 in both .22 and 9mm. There's a lot to be said for having the same platform in multiple calibers.

The Walther .22 has been flawless for me. It only comes with one magazine, but I never run mag changes or anything with it. It's quite accurate...just recommend painting the front sight, or using a bright dot from Nite Sighters (which actually are called the "Day Sighters"). I'd do the same on the normal PPQ so the front sight is easier to pick up.

I'm a big PPQ M2 guy, and never having had an issue with either gun, I'd happily recommend you start with this model in .22 and get good with grip, stance and sight alignment. Practice transitioning between targets.

If you want something with more oomph, get it in 9mm. If CCW is on the table for you, I'd give serious consideration to the new subcompact model. With a full grip it holds 15 and can be concealed in the right holster and loose-ish clothes, and with the short grip holds 10 and is quite concealable.
Old March 29, 2018, 09:11 AM   #67
riffraff

This is kinda an old thread but I tend to think .22 LR as has been mentioned is a good starting point and something everyone should own.

Ruger SR22 (the pistol not rifle version) is very common with a huge following, and has great aftermarket availability too.

Also I liked the idea of a pellet gun, never though about that in a pistol but I have a .22 pellet gun I regularly shoot of my deck for the same reason - I can shoot it anytime. It's also capable of taking down something up to the size of a raccoon too if need be but without the risk of neighbors calling the police due to late night gunfire.
Old March 30, 2018, 08:53 PM   #68
West Texas

Glock 19

Shoots great out of the box plus upgrades and mags are cheap.
Old April 2, 2018, 05:43 PM   #69
peacefulgary

Hi Mike!

Throw caution to the wind and go with the Glock 19.
You will not regret it.

Besides....it will NOT be your one and only pistol for very long.

Believe me, before you know it you'll own several Glocks, several S&W's, a CZ or two, a Ruger or two or three, a Sig, maybe an HK....

It's an addiction!
Old April 2, 2018, 09:18 PM   #70
Walter Elliot

I cannot figure out, for the life of me, what kind of madness causes anybody to recommend to a first time handgun owner that he buy a semi-auto. There's SO MUCH TO LEARN and gun safety is at the top of the list. A SA/DA revolver .22 is a great place to start, and much more economical to shoot. Hell, even a pellet gun would be much better than a semi-auto for a first gun. Both are much safer than a larger caliber gun. If you DO manage to shoot yourself with a .22 the likelihood of causing serious permanent damage is considerably less than with thirty or forty caliber gun. OK, go ahead and throw your darts at me over this but I won't be backing down.
Old April 2, 2018, 09:28 PM   #71
LilPewPew

Few questions have you shot before? If so what did you shoot? What will you be using it for? Home defense, concealed carry, or just to shoot? But overall the Glock 19 would be my choice or the 17
Old April 2, 2018, 09:33 PM   #72
Jim Watson

While I would not be without my SW M18, a good .22 revolver is scarce and expensive these days. They also have a hard time holding the typical game and movie indoctrinated beginner's attention. The automatic can be learned.
Old April 3, 2018, 07:26 AM   #73
LBussy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Elliot View Post
I cannot figure out, for the life of me, what kind of madness causes anybody to recommend to a first time handgun owner that he buy a semi-auto. There's SO MUCH TO LEARN and gun safety is at the top of the list. A SA/DA revolver .22 is a great place to start, and much more economical to shoot. Hell, even a pellet gun would be much better than a semi-auto for a first gun. Both are much safer than a larger caliber gun. If you DO manage to shoot yourself with a .22 the likelihood of causing serious permanent damage is considerably less than with thirty or forty caliber gun. OK, go ahead and throw your darts at me over this but I won't be backing down.
Remember, the US military is responsible for training more new to guns people through proficiency than anyone else in the world (with the possible exception of the Chinese military.) They issue a fully automatic weapon, not a pellet gun. A gun is unforgiving, be it a .22 or a 9mm. No mistakes can be made.

I personally train new to gun people with a .22 because the ammo is cheaper and I don't charge anything for the training (or ammo). I have both an automatic and a wheel-gun .22. I agree with Jim Watson; a .22 revolver is getting as scarce as hen's teeth. I generally train with the automatic, I don't see it as being any more to learn than a wheel gun. Of course we first dry fire, then one round, then three, before working up to a full magazine.

All that said, I don't think it's necessarily bad for a person to go out and buy a 9mm as a first gun. They are not tough on the hands, they are not tough on the wallet, and training with the intended weapon makes a lot of sense.
Old April 3, 2018, 12:41 PM   #74
LBussy

Speaking of nice starter guns ... Grab A Gun has the Ruger SR22 Black / Tungsten 3.5-inch for $295. Not a bad deal.
Old April 3, 2018, 12:53 PM   #75
Hal

Quote:
I cannot figure out, for the life of me, what kind of madness causes anybody to recommend to a first time handgun owner that he buy a semi-auto.
No darts - just a couple questions.
1.) Does any branch of the military start people out on a revolver?

2.) Does any branch of the military start people out on a .22?

3.) Has the military ever used a .22 in place of centerfire for training?