The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 22, 2011, 09:15 AM   #1
this_is_nascar

Remington 870 Express Tactical Ammo

I just picked up my 1st ever shotgun, a new Remington Model 870 Express Tactical. Its primary duty will be home-defense in a small, rancher style, home. Secondarily, I'll take it to the range (25' maximum distance in length) to shoot at some targets and get the feel of the gun.

What type of ammo do you recommend for each usage? I know the indoor range doesn't allow all types of ammo. I forget what's allowed/not allowed, so I have to give them a call today when they open.
Old March 22, 2011, 10:03 AM   #2
zippy13

Greetings this is nascar, and welcome aboard.

You're in NJ, it's a gun un-friendly state like my CA. For purely political reasons, should you ever have to use your gun for HD, may I suggest you use ammo that's labeled home defense as opposed to stuff that's marked as tactical or for law enforcement.

For your range work, be sure to follow their ammo restrictions/recommendations. Hopefully you'll have some training with the same ammo that you'll use for HD.
Old March 22, 2011, 10:07 AM   #3
ATW525

Quote:
25' maximum distance in length
Do you mean 25 yards? 25' is rather short.

Anyways, I personally find that shooting at paper with anything but slugs gets really boring really fast, but that's just me. A lot will depend on the range rules.

For home defense there are various sizes of buckshot along with Foster type slugs. I'd stay away from birdshot, Brenneke style slugs and sabot slugs. Birdshot doesn't penetrate enough, and Brenneke and sabot slugs penetrate too much.
Old March 22, 2011, 10:24 AM   #4
kx592

Run some 00bk through her, get use to the recoil, and keep some on hand for HD. Other than that the run the gun every chance you get and be very comfortable with it.

NJ resident as well, you said tactical 870? Do you have an adjustable stock and pistol grip type of deal? Re read title 13, chapter 54 if your not sure whats allowed. Better safe than sorry.
Old March 22, 2011, 10:45 AM   #5
MLeake

Indoor ranges...

... generally will not want you to use anything but slugs.

Friend who owned a range told me that in his experience, lighter shot had a nasty tendency to ricochet. They'd had a couple instances, luckily with no injuries, before his range put a general ban on shotguns.

Not sure if heavier buckshot would ricochet. As noted, I've only been allowed to use slugs at indoor ranges, in the few I've found that allowed shotguns (many do not).
Old March 22, 2011, 08:02 PM   #6
this_is_nascar

The answer from the indoor range is that I can use only "BUCK or SLUG".
Old March 22, 2011, 08:05 PM   #7
this_is_nascar

Yes, 25-yards at the indoor range. Sorry, but I can't seem to find the 'QUOTE' button.
Old March 22, 2011, 08:10 PM   #8
this_is_nascar

No adjustable stock and no pistol grip. You can see it here.

http://www.remington.com/products/fi...-tactical.aspx
Old March 22, 2011, 08:13 PM   #9
this_is_nascar

It definately seems that SLUGS are the way to go at the range. One could argue their usefullness for home-defense over BUCK, but that's another thread.

That being said, is there any slug ammo (keeping in mind that I'm in NJ) that would not be acceptable for use? What do you folks recommend along the lines of 2 3/4" slug for the range?
Old March 22, 2011, 10:53 PM   #10
Bamashooter

I have some 3.5'' 00 buck for home defense in my 870. Thats why my go to home defense gun is my .45.
Old March 22, 2011, 11:17 PM   #11
popeyespappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamashooter
I have some 3.5'' 00 buck for home defense in my 870. Thats why my go to home defense gun is my .45.
That's why I I like 2-3/4" low recoil for my HD 870. Just in case the .45 runs empty.
Old March 23, 2011, 09:48 AM   #12
this_is_nascar

What brand you using popeye?
Old March 23, 2011, 10:11 AM   #13
ATW525

Quote:
What do you folks recommend along the lines of 2 3/4" slug for the range?
I always liked Remington Slugger. I can usually find it relatively inexpensively and it's not too bad on the shoulder.

For buckshot you might want to look at Federal's Flight Control loads, as they have a reputation for extremely tight patterns.
Old March 27, 2011, 11:09 PM   #14
VUPDblue

I'll second the recommendation of Federal's 00buck with Flitecontrol. Their PD132 loading (low recoil, 8 pellet) is VERY tight patterning and a very effective load.
Old March 29, 2011, 11:19 AM   #15
this_is_nascar

The more I'm reading about varios ammo, the more I'm getting confused. For example, I just read this in the description of some ammo.

Designed specifically for smooth bore barrels but can also be used in rifled choke tube barrels or fully rifled barrels.

Is this something I need to be concerned over? I've read the specs that I could find about my Remington 870 Express Tactical and didn't see anything specific about the barrel.
Old March 29, 2011, 11:30 AM   #16
rantingredneck

Your shotgun is a smoothbore barrel. You'll want to focus primarily on buckshot loads and if you want to shoot slugs, the cheaper "rifled" slugs of either Foster or Brenneke design will be the cheapest option and will work well from your smooth (non-rifled) barrel). Sabot slugs are meant for rifled barrels and are quite spendy. Some as much as 2 to 3 dollars per shell.

For buckshot, I'll chime in as a proponent of the Federal Flite Control or Hornady Versatite shells.

This target was shot with a Hornady TAP FPD Versatite shell (8 pellets at 1600 fps):

At 15 yards.......from a Remington 870 with an 18" cylinder bore barrel much like yours.

This target was shot with a Federal Tactical LE12700 Flite Control shell (9 pellets at 1345 FPS):

At 15 yards from the same 870.

Now at across the bedroom distances the above shells throw one ragged hole patterns. At across the bedroom distances, traditional wad technology shells (Remington Express, Federal Powershok, etc.) do very well.

Example patterns of Remington and Federal traditional 9 pellet 00 buck loads at 7 yds:

Federal:

Remington:

These patterns put the lie to the statement that "You can't miss with a shotgun".

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old March 29, 2011, 11:32 AM   #17
rantingredneck

Zippy's advice of using ammo with "defense" in the name is also something to consider.

Hornady TAP FPD (For Personal Defense)
Hornady Critical Defense (basically the same load as the TAP FPD and includes the VersaTite wad).

Old March 29, 2011, 11:32 AM   #18
myshoulderissore

Your shotgun has a cylinder bore, meaning no choke. You'd be hard pressed to find anything it won't eat with ease. I have about the same gun, and I love it.

Also, to note, it will NOT hold 6 3" rounds in the tube, as far as I can tell... 4x3" and 2x2 3/4", yes, but not 6x3". But the 3" loads can get pretty punishing, so don't sweat it. Just use 2 3/4" and keep in mind how many shots you actually "need" anyway.
Old March 29, 2011, 11:37 AM   #19
TheKlawMan

Your tactical choke is an extended cylinder bore and your barrel is smooth. You can shoot those slugs.
Old March 29, 2011, 06:23 PM   #20
this_is_nascar

Thanks for all the responses folks. I really appreciate it. It took me forever to decide on this gun. I didn't realize I'd spend at least as much time, if not more, deciding on which ammo to use in it.
Old March 30, 2011, 02:55 AM   #21
10P8TRIOT

Federal Tactical LE132 00 Buck

Took my Winchester 1300 Defender to the range last weekend and killed some cardboard with Federal Tactical LE132 00 Buck. I made some crude targets from a cardboard box and shot at 5, 10 and 15 yards. At 5 yards, all 9 pellets punched a 1" hole. At 10 yards, all 9 pellets were within 2.5". At 15 yards, 7 pellets were within 2", 8 pellets were within 3.25", and all 9 pellets were within 5.5". I am very impressed with the LE132 ... very tight patterns out of an 18.5" barrel, and very easy on the shoulder.

http://le.atk.com/general/federalpro...lbuckshot.aspx
Old March 30, 2011, 06:43 AM   #22
this_is_nascar

From what I understand the PD132 is similiar to that LE132 that you're using there, isn't it? I'm definately looking for the "low-recoil" type shells to start with, just to get the feel of a gun for awhile. As time goes on, I can progress up to the higher-impact shells that have more kick.

From what I've been reading, the Federal PD132 is tightly patterned like the LE132 and is a "lower-recoil" style shell.
Old March 30, 2011, 07:28 AM   #23
Bernie Lomax

Most here will probably recommend 00 buck for HD, but some say that finer shot is better for home defense because it's less likely to penetrate interior walls and kill or injure innocent bystanders on the other side. And, actually, according to the International Ballistic Wound Association, #1 buck is actually a better stopper than 00 buck. Whatever you choose, though, I wouldn't go any smaller that #4 buck. Anything smaller than that won't penetrate interior walls, but it also won't penetrate bad guys enough to reliably stop them.
Old March 30, 2011, 09:06 AM   #24
JKump

I use Winchester Supreme #1 Buck on duty, so I can fully recommend this. Also #4 Buck is not bad and should fit the bill nicely for home defense.

"Everyone has a game plan until they get punched in the mouth".
Old March 30, 2011, 09:13 AM   #25
rantingredneck

Quote:
I use Winchester Supreme #1 Buck on duty, so I can fully recommend this. Also #4 Buck is not bad and should fit the bill nicely for home defense.
Part of it comes down to availability. You don't see many #4 buck loads around here and very rarely a #1 buck load appears on store shelves.

I'd have no problem using either if they patterned well from my shotguns. The only #4 load I've ever patterned did not do so well. I'd like to get my hands on more of a variety for testing, but have not cared enough to order any personally.

My home layout is such that I have no qualms about using 00. Others' situations may vary though and as with anything........test, test, test, train, train, train.