The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 26, 2009, 10:40 PM   #1
MuscleGarunt

I finally understand varmint hunting.

For the longest time I felt that varmint hunting was unethical, cruel and just wrong. Well, today I changed my mind. For the last few months I have been having this problem with crows around my place. After feeding the animals the crows come in and eat whatever grain the livestock leave behind, I was fine with that. Then I started to notice the livestock water was getting dirty very fast, half eaten worms and grain as well as large pieces of dung. I though it funny that the animals would crap in their water.

So the other day I am walking through the yard and I see this crow up on the water bucket dropping stuff in the water, why, I don't know maybe to soften it up for eating later. So it suddenly dawns on me why I have been having to change the water out every other day.

So all day I am trying to get this crow, but the damn things are really smart. Finally I got him, heart shot with a 22-WMR, dropped him instantly, no twitching, no flailing, no flapping nothing, just dropped him like a brick.

So morale of the story, I finally understand varmint hunting. You own some property, livestock, whatever, said animal is being destructive, a nuisance. You kill said animal to make your life easier.
Old May 26, 2009, 11:55 PM   #2
ddeyo1

amen
Old May 27, 2009, 12:26 AM   #3
Buzzcook

Crows don't rate high enough to be called varmints.
Old May 27, 2009, 02:26 AM   #4
Hellbilly5000

Crows don't rate high enough to use a 22 on em use a good pellet gun instead, In the long run it will save you a lot of money, A good stuffed scare crow is always good too
Old May 27, 2009, 02:42 AM   #5
butta9999

I love Varmint hunting, plenty of it in Australia... Goodluck with your new venture.
Old May 27, 2009, 04:27 AM   #6
Dingoboyx

Crows

Apart from Russle Crow, that is.... are less than, less than varmints.... in fact, they are about the same as rodents.... Hmmm sky rats? yup, thats about right

Here in Oz, me and some of my gyrocopter mates used to chase crows & Cockatoos away from crops (especially grapes) in our Gyro's.... had to chase roos and Emus out of wheat fields too. , was fun

One of the guys decided to shoot a few from the gyro... Never boring in Oz
Old May 27, 2009, 05:16 AM   #7
kiwi56

Varmints

Had the same problem with Magpie's over here, fixed them with the 223 improved longest shot so far was 190 yards. It is amazing how far the feathers fly when they get hit with a 55 grain Nosler Balistic tip leaving the rifle at around 3600 ft per second. For the American shooters the Magpie is a bird slightly smaller than a crow but just as bigger pest.
Old May 27, 2009, 05:33 AM   #8
SKULLANDCROSSBONES65

G'day. Muzza you might be giving Russel to much credit.

On a more serious note. I know Sheep farmers that want every crow, fox, dog and cat shot on sight. They do so much damage to lambs being born it is not funny. Don't spare the powder, no cartridge is too big.
Old May 27, 2009, 05:35 AM   #9
kayakersteve

It's easy to understand your change of heart.

I used to feel bad about people shooting woodchucks. After looking into it and discussing with the local grape farmers, I chnaged my mind. They all had a story or two about broken axels, flat tires and damaged tractors from hitting woodchuck holes in the vineyard isles. Now I can presue them and feel I am doing a good thing.
Old May 27, 2009, 05:50 AM   #10
Dingoboyx

Ahhhh woodchucks

That must be where that saying "How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?"

& you know what my answer to that is??

Chucked if I know
Old May 27, 2009, 12:02 PM   #11
ddeyo1

not to mention borken cow legs from woodchuck holes. ill tell ye a cow worth 1800 breakin its leg in a chuck hole will change yer mind, and generally make you want to annihalate woodchucks from the face of the earth.
Old May 27, 2009, 12:15 PM   #12
Kendo

Muscle, now you need a crow call, couple cases of shotgun shells,and three or four buddies. You talk about a hoot.
Old May 27, 2009, 01:11 PM   #13
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Keep your kills as decoys during the shoot. If wounded tie some fish line to their leg and to a little stake or twig sappling and it will really draw in their buddies...
Brent
Old May 27, 2009, 02:32 PM   #14
4406v

Get a Johnny Stewart game caller (electronic)with the crow fighting hawk tape,a case of shells and a few buddies.Kill the first one to come in (the scout) and use the dead as decoys.It is so much fun and great wingshooting practice.I have old Pennsylvania Game News from the 50's and 60's they literally show guys with pick up trucks full of dead crows in almost every issue.I had a friend invite me to go crow hunting early one spring day before turkey season came in and I figured I had nothing else to do why not?? I had so much fun I went out and bought all the stuff I would need to introduce someone else to the sport.We killed about 30 crows that day and I've been hooked ever since.
Old May 27, 2009, 06:31 PM   #15
Yithian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingoboyx
"How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?"
A woodchuck could chuck as much wood as a woodchuck could chuck, if a woodchuck could chuck wood.
Old May 27, 2009, 06:42 PM   #16
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

If you think you understand it now then you really need to see what it's like just after sunrise, while the dew is still on the ground, the birds are singing in the trees.... and you can see through your scope the pink mist hanging in the air where moments before there was a woodchuck.
Old May 27, 2009, 06:52 PM   #17
MuscleGarunt

Wow, that would be intense. Yes, I need a crow call, have to check the sporting goods store downtown later. Maybe I can put that 100 bulk pack of 12 gauge skeet/bird shells too good use.
Old May 27, 2009, 06:53 PM   #18
crowbeaner

Please note my nom de plume; it speaks volumes. Old Noir is the smartest bird that lives, and unlike a wild turkey, has the ability to reason and solve puzzles. They can live to 25 years of age, have 52 known "words" in their vocabulary, and think like union members. They post lookouts to watch for hawks and owls, and absolutely hate Great Horned Owls. They will harass an owl mercilessly, and eat a variety of disgusting things such as carrion, bugs, worms, and God knows what else. Vermin is the word I use; maybe some kinder people will call them varmints. 222 and 22-250 are my calibers of choice, and an exceptionally accurate rifle is a must for long range vaporization. The Speer 52 grain HP or TNT is the bullet of choice in my old M700, and I drive them just as fast as RL7, BLC2, and IMR 4198 will push them.
Old May 27, 2009, 06:55 PM   #19
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Yes, I need a crow call, have to check the sporting goods store downtown later. Maybe I can put that 100 bulk pack of 12 gauge skeet/bird shells too good use.

Indeed you DO understand!! Where mere days ago you wanted them to leave now you intend to CALL THEM IN!!! You've got the bug.
Old May 27, 2009, 07:31 PM   #20
MuscleGarunt

Oh what have I become
Old May 27, 2009, 07:39 PM   #21
longcall911

Quote:
Finally I got him, heart shot with a 22-WMR, dropped him instantly, no twitching, no flailing, no flapping nothing, just dropped him like a brick.
If I ever come over to visit and have a bunch of beers. . . I'll have to remember *not* to pee in the water trough.

/*tom*/
Old May 27, 2009, 10:45 PM   #22
Buzzcook

Just thought I'd add that you should take care not to shoot ravens, thinking they're crows.

Ravens are larger, Ravens have a pointed tail, crows are more rounded fan shaped. Ravens wing tips are pointed and crows more blunt.
Old May 27, 2009, 11:08 PM   #23
MuscleGarunt

Ravens have a slightly curved beak too and are twice the size of the northwestern crow.
Old May 28, 2009, 12:45 AM   #24
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Even the smaller crow is a thick sumbuck... I use no less than 6 high brass but for the range they usually stat out to, I need #5 or 4 to really get one shot kills... 7 1/2 seem to bounce off at 25-30 yards.
Brent
Old May 28, 2009, 08:32 PM   #25
crowbeaner

Brent; I have just the load for you. I use it for long range birds of all feathers including black colored ones.

RP 2 3/4" hi brass Unibody hull, black or green
WW 209
33.0 of IMR SR 4756
RP 12 wad
1 1/4 oz. of the best Lawrence shot; copper plated is the cat's meow. Magnum #4,#5 or# 2
1340 fps. at 10,000 lup
KICKS LIKE HELL> KILLS BIRDS AT 70 YARDS WITH EXTRA FULL CHOKES!