The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 9, 2014, 01:42 PM   #1
spacecoast

Cowboy rig restoration

I have come into possession of a cowboy rig consisting of a 35" Arvo Ojala gun belt and a custom made Dale Myres holster. I say custom made because the original owner's initials are carved on the outer band which holds the holster in place. At the bottom of the holster is a piece of leather that ties around one's leg. The belt is 3" wide.

The original owner of this holster died in 1976 (born in 1920), so the holster is at least 38 years old and I suspect closer to 50-60 years old. It's something of a family heirloom. I don't know how much cowboy shooting the owner did, but intend to find out as much as possible and won't rule out using it myself someday (I can barely get into it). When I got the rig, some of its 31 loops were filled with .45 Colt bullets that hadn't been touched in a long time and were in some cases covered with verdigris. I have removed those. The brass rivets on the holster are also pretty green. The belt itself appears to be in great shape although a bit dingy with age and disuse. Some pics are below.

I'd like to stop the deterioration of the brass and get this rig back to as close to its original state as possible without damaging it. What's the best way to go about that? What is the best cleaning technique to avoid damage? I know very little about leather care other than when I used to rub saddle soap into my ball glove when I was a kid.

Old February 9, 2014, 01:43 PM   #2
spacecoast

one more pic...

Old February 9, 2014, 01:54 PM   #3
spitpatch

Nice rig. I treat all my leather with a product called ( Sno-Seal ). Gloves, boots, rifle slings, holsters. It's a beeswax product. Been using it for years. My self I like the old look so I would not dye the rig.
Old February 9, 2014, 01:57 PM   #4
freedom475

Buy some skidmore's!!!!!!!!!! http://www.skidmores.com/

Snow seal has some petrolium products in it and is made to waterproof leather, not a very good option for restoration.

No way to tell for sure..but I'm going to bet that the 2451 number means that it was made in 1951... the 24 is probly the 24th belt made or possibly the style number.

Mister, why do you carry a 45? "Cause Sam Colt don't make a 46."

Last edited by freedom475; February 9, 2014 at 02:05 PM.