The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 2, 2014, 05:41 PM   #1
Doc Hoy

Gun Show at Dade City, FL

I like this show. I have come for the last three years.

It is a small show at a low price (5.00 for retires navy farts) but the wares are interesting.

Prices are really high and the people seem not to be interested in coming down much.

Dade City is a small town and I have been around enough that I am starting to recognize and be recognized by some of the vendors and attendees. That is gratifying. Makes me proud.

There was a good bit of WWII stuff.

Not much in the way of cap and ball, and all was too high. 300.00 for a used Remington (steel). 285.00 for a brass frame 1851. Guy had a real nice original musket 1300.00. I am not a musket kind of guy so I paid little attention.

Original 1873 Winchester in .44-40 at 2800.00 Two 1894 Marlins and one of which was in .38-40. He wanted 650.00 but I got his name and am going to try to talk him down. He hangs out at the Barber shop in San Antonio, FL which is about four miles down the road. The hammer spring on this rifle is a little weak and the caliber is wrong for me. But at the right price it is pretty little rifle.

All in all a nice day even if I dint buy anything.
Old February 2, 2014, 05:51 PM   #2
Chestnut Forge

I was supposed to head there next week for a hog hunt. Well, not Dade City, but San Antonio. I lived in that area as a youngster.
Old February 3, 2014, 07:34 AM   #3
Doc Hoy

It is nice country...

Farm country but the sprawl from Tampa is infringing.
Old February 3, 2014, 07:26 PM   #4
OutlawJoseyWales

I didn't get to go, thanks for the info, so now I don't feel so bad that I missed it. You never know what will turn up at these shows. I mainly go for ammo and grab some caps and such. I've done well at the Sumter county gun show in Bushnell in the last few years with BP stuff. Not so much at the Dade City one, found it to be as you reported.
thanks, OJW