The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 26, 2017, 02:02 PM   #1
DMiller23

NCSTAR Rifle Case/Shooting Mat!

Does anybody have any experience with these cases/mats. Durability? Comfort? Packing size? Protection of the rifle? I went ahead and orderd one last night. I need a new case for my Howa 1500 and a new shooting mat with enough pockets to hold ammo, bags, a couple cleaning tools and some extras. Just looking for some feedback on this case/mat and any others that you may have that double as a shooting mat. Thanks in advance.
Old December 26, 2017, 04:46 PM   #2
tallwalker

NCSTAR Rifle Case/Shooting Mat!

I have had two of these for about five years now. One holds my PRS chassis stocked rifle and the other my 30-06 bolt hunting rifle. Both with high mag scopes and sun shades. Neither gets gently used at all and more often than not in the mud and rain. Both have held up way better than I would have ever expected. The folding parts of the mat do give extra protection and the built in holding gear works well. As far as comfort they aren't as good as a real dedicated shooting mat but not bad at all. Depends a lot on what you are used to I guess. I use the velco clear pocket once unfolded into a mat for my log data book and things I need to keep dry. It is also nice to have a few molle attachment like this does on the INSIDE as well. The outside once folded up is covered with them which is great. Has a velcro flap dedicated cleaning rod pouch, tripod straps, and lots of other features that are actually useful. Those surprised me when I got it because they aren't really mentioned.

People tend to frown on gear that doesn't cost >$500, and I do tend to stay away from NCTAR's other stuff, but can't think of a better bang for the buck than these honestly.
Old December 26, 2017, 05:14 PM   #3
DMiller23

yes for the money I figured it was worth trying. I as well don't care for any of the ncstar line of equipment but, it was cheap and had overall good reviews from my research. I take care of my equipment but it does get put to the test when it is used. Thanks for the response.
Old December 27, 2017, 09:58 AM   #4
ocharry

i think the one i have is a condor,,,it is a nice mat-bag,,,,been holding up for prolly 5 years now,,,still going strong,,,i have been thinking on getting another one,,,i could use a couple more

my .02

ocharry