The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 13, 2015, 11:53 PM   #1
Tono

Remington m11 magazine plug question

I have a Remington m11/sportsman made in 1939 according to Remington historians. It has a magazine limiter/plug to allow only 2 cartridges and I want to maximize the magazine capacity and eliminate the plug. This gun has all the US military ordnance markings and is in riot gun configuration with an 18" or so barrel. There is no threaded cap on the magazine but there is a T bolt that treads into the end cap on the magazine tube. I can't determine if the end cap is threaded into the magazine tube, welded or friction fit. So if anyone has insight into this issue I sure would appreciate an assist.
Old November 14, 2015, 12:11 AM   #2
DavidAGO

It is threaded onto the magazine tube, it should unscrew and then the forearm should slide off.

David
Old November 14, 2015, 06:29 AM   #3
44 AMP
Staff

Am not familiar with that particular gun, so I can't help you get into the mag, sorry.

I can tell you that in those days, the common magazine plug was a simple hardwood dowel that took up space, limiting the amount the follower could be moved back, and so limiting the amount of rounds that could be loaded.

Normally it comes right out, once you remove the mag end cap.

Good Luck!
Old November 16, 2015, 01:04 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

There is a mag cap.
Manual is here. Not a really good copy though.
http://stevespages.com/pdf/remington_11.pdf
Decent exploded drawing here.
http://stevespages.com/ipb-remington-11.html
Old November 17, 2015, 12:41 PM   #5
Tono

I've had the gun apart except for the mag tube, there is no magazine cap. It is a T-bolt that threads into the end of the magazine tub. I've got pictures if anyone wants to see for themselves. This stumped the people at Remington and I agree most schematics I have seen indicate a mag cap that threads over the end of the tube. Wish mine did that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20151109_133453rs.jpg (131.2 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 20151109_133455rs.jpg (103.8 KB, 21 views)
Old November 17, 2015, 01:34 PM   #6
Goatwhiskers

The M11 Sportsman had a dedicated 2-shot magazine, the tube is threaded into the receiver. There is no magazine cap in the conventional sense, rather a "bolt" that attaches the barrel in somewhat the same manner as the cap on a standard M11. Not positive but I think that slot on the end was added by "Bubba" somewhere along the line to help unscrew the mag tube. You "may" be able to replace your tube with a standard, but you will also need a barrel with the conventional mag tube ring and a cap. That "T" bolt is a home replacement for the original bolt. GW
Old November 17, 2015, 01:51 PM   #7
Tono

This shotgun appears to be a legitimate US military owned weapon, with the flaming bomb on both the barrel and the receiver with "US" and "Military Finish" in the correct locations. The serial number falls in the correct range for the WW II military contract and the barrel serial matches the receiver serial. Barrel stamped "cyl" with the proper inspection stamps. I know there are plenty of faked military shotguns out there but having reviewed a real one this appears correct. Would the plug have been added after military use or did the military not care and used it with the plug intact?
Old November 18, 2015, 05:04 PM   #8
bamaranger

aerial gunners

If that gun has a full length barrel instead of a short riot type tube, it may well have been used to train aerial gunners in our bombers. Lots of clay bird shooting done by those guys.
Old November 18, 2015, 05:05 PM   #9
bamaranger

oops

Okay, just read "in riot configuration."

Sorry
Old November 18, 2015, 09:32 PM   #10
Tono

Is the bolt/bolt carrier serial numbered to the gun in the M11?