The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 2, 2009, 01:38 PM   #1
iblong

Lee Disk powder measure question

A friend of mine just bought a Lee 4 hole classic press w/outo indexing and the powder disc system.He asked if I would set it up for him and show him how to use it.Mines an old 3 hole classic with manual indexing.Any way I was trying to set it up for him for 45 auto and used the disk recomended for unique and it was way light,I had to jump 2 disc sizes to get to the charge I was looking for.It also was failly incosistant on the weight.Is this because the bulkiness of unique powder? or is this typical of this charge system.
Bob.
Old September 2, 2009, 01:54 PM   #2
snuffy

Yes, very typical on both questions. The disc's are normally light, that's in case some new loaders don't have a scale, they'll be safe with a lighter load.

Also Unique is terrible to run through most measures. It's bulky and large grained, so it doesn't flow very well.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old September 2, 2009, 02:00 PM   #3
cerberus65

I started out with the Auto-Disk Powder Measure and found it to meter a bit light too. My solution was to get the Pro Auto-Disk Update Kit which includes the Adjustable Charge Bar. I have been much happier since I made that ~$20 upgrade.

The other "upgrade" you may end up wanting to make is removing the auto-indexing feature. I batch load and really didn't need it auto-indexing on me. If your friend is going to batch load it's a single screw to remove.
Old September 2, 2009, 02:52 PM   #4
snuffy

Quote:
The other "upgrade" you may end up wanting to make is removing the auto-indexing feature. I batch load and really didn't need it auto-indexing on me. If your friend is going to batch load it's a single screw to remove.
To disable the auto index, you simply remove the drive shaft. Then there's no screw to loose if you want to auto index in the future.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old September 2, 2009, 03:11 PM   #5
GP100man

Lee ad

i treat my powder tools with powdered graphite ,it saves me alot of greif!!

Last edited by GP100man; September 2, 2009 at 03:12 PM. Reason: spelun
Old September 2, 2009, 03:14 PM   #6
iblong

Thanks guys,As a temporary solution untill I made sure it wasnt defective I just put my uniflow on it,personally I like it better that way,its a lot easier to change the charge.
Bob.
Old September 3, 2009, 06:14 PM   #7
Jim243

The disks on the autodisk will throw 0.1 to 0.2 light, I use the Micro Disk that came with the upgrade kit. Works well. An old trick is to put 2 or 3 stainless steel washers on top of the powder and it will keep the throws consistant even as the powder goes down.

Jim
Old September 4, 2009, 08:37 PM   #8
shepherddogs

I think Lee intentionally overstates the charge thrown by their measures. They probably figure some people would not bother to use scales so they give data that will cause light charges. Probably their lawyers idea. As far as consistency, I have had very good results with the auto disk measures. Just make sure the cavity cycles completely over the drop hole.
Old September 4, 2009, 09:19 PM   #9
GP100man

changing discs

i just unhook the spring lift the body of da measure up & change the disc.

i`ve never taken the screws out of the hopper on mine.
Old September 4, 2009, 09:33 PM   #10
Tex S

Its funny that some of you have had issues with the disks throwing light. I seem to have the opposite problem. Let me explain...

Say we are working with W231. The .49 disk is supposed to throw 5.3gr. It always does if I am working the measure only, but as soon as I run a round through the complete cycle it begins throwing about .2gr heavy. I think this is because the motion of the press compacts the powder in the disk making for a heavier charge.

Just my experience.

For the record, last night I tried out the adjustable charge bar for the first time. I was surprised at how accurate the graduations on the thumb screw are. It worked perfect!!! Not too shabby for a cheap piece of plastic.
Old September 4, 2009, 10:14 PM   #11
snuffy

Quote:
Yes, very typical on both questions. The disc's are normally light, that's in case some new loaders don't have a scale, they'll be safe with a lighter load.post #2.
Quote:
I think Lee intentionally overstates the charge thrown by their measures. They probably figure some people would not bother to use scales so they give data that will cause light charges. Probably their lawyers idea.
Thanks for the big 10-4! Or was it you didn't read the whole thread?

Old September 4, 2009, 10:17 PM   #12
Jim243

Tex It is and I have stopped using the disks unless throwing a charge for rifle.
Old September 4, 2009, 11:13 PM   #13
shepherddogs

You caught me Snuffy. I'll pay more attention to your posts in the future. I hope you don't mind me having the same opinion as you.
Old September 4, 2009, 11:14 PM   #14
shepherddogs

You caught me Snuffy. I'll pay more attention to your posts in the future. I hope you don't mind me having the same opinion as you.
Old September 4, 2009, 11:16 PM   #15
snuffy

Quote:
Naw, I was just poking a little fun at ya! Great minds think alike!