The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 19, 2019, 07:53 AM   #1
Lohman446

"Not" buying a new revolver

In theory I am only starting to look. In reality this is going to end up with an "impulse" purchase when I run across one.

This is, ultimately, going to replace my P938 as a light carry gun. Slide manipulation is becoming a concern. The thought of firing a light weight .357 with my weak hand is not even something I want to consider so well I would buy a .357 and shoot .38 I am not going to do so if it costs me weight or any serious amount of money.

I like exposed hammers and this is going to be short barreled.

My list:

The front runner: Smith 360J .38 1.87': 11.4 ounces and about $450 by the time I get one transferred to me. Scandium frame, steel cylinder. Frankly the titanium cylinders scare me a bit so this seems perfect at first glance

The contender: Ruger LCRX .38 - 1.87": 13.5 ounces and $400. I'm not going to lie I am a little bit apprehensive of the LCR trigger system

The dark horse: Ruger LCRX .327 1.87": 17.7 ounces and in the $550 range. The sixth shot can't be bad, the weight is noticeably higher (and yes 6.4 or 3.2 ounces matter) but I am very intrigued at the idea of being able to fire the "lesser" .32 rounds in a snubbie.

With the caveat that I will not own another Taurus revolver (mechanically induced failure resulting in unintentional discharge - the hammer hung up) what am I missing that I should be considering
Old April 19, 2019, 08:13 AM   #2
74A95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohman446 View Post
My list:

The front runner: Smith 360J .38 1.87': 11.4 ounces and about $450 by the time I get one transferred to me. Scandium frame, steel cylinder. Frankly the titanium cylinders scare me a bit (WHY?) so this seems perfect at first glance

The contender: Ruger LCRX .38 - 1.87": 13.5 ounces and $400. I'm not going to lie I am a little bit apprehensive of the LCR trigger system (WHY?)

The dark horse: Ruger LCRX .327 1.87": 17.7 ounces and in the $550 range. The sixth shot can't be bad, the weight is noticeably higher (and yes 6.4 or 3.2 ounces matter) but I am very intrigued at the idea of being able to fire the "lesser" .32 rounds in a snubbie.
Why?
Old April 19, 2019, 08:21 AM   #3
Lohman446

Confession on the LCR front: have only shot one a couple times - I am told that you can actually manage to short stroke the LCR trigger. Maybe this is not the case.

On the titanium vs steel cylinder. A) the 360J appears to only be available with the steel cylinder rendering it a non issue B) i have heard of mulitple people managing to chip titanium cylinders and create issues.
Old April 19, 2019, 08:43 AM   #4
74A95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohman446 View Post
Confession on the LCR front: have only shot one a couple times - I am told that you can actually manage to short stroke the LCR trigger. Maybe this is not the case.
Yeah, but you can probably say that about any double action revolver.
Old April 19, 2019, 09:01 AM   #5
Onward Allusion

Quote:
The front runner: Smith 360J .38 1.87': 11.4 ounces and about $450 by the time I get one transferred to me. Scandium frame, steel cylinder. Frankly the titanium cylinders scare me a bit so this seems perfect at first glance
Get this Airlite but be sure to get a more robust grip. The one that it comes with has no padding on the backstrap. I know - we have 3 Airlites. It'll probably add an oz to the weight though.

Also, keep in mind that these SC guns are meant to be carried lots and shot little.
Old April 19, 2019, 09:05 AM   #6
Lohman446

This is why I value opinions more knowledgeable than mine. My limited experience with DA revolvers involve the SP101 and a couple Smith J frames. Having never managed to short stroke one, or even heard of it being a concern, when the LCR with the "new trigger group" came out and people reported issues I made the (possibly incorrect) assumption that it was an LCR issue
Old April 19, 2019, 09:14 AM   #7
Lohman446

Quote:
Also, keep in mind that these SC guns are meant to be carried lots and shot little.
How big of an issue is this using .38? Its likely I will put 200 to 300 rounds into it before I consider it carry ready and then 400 or 500 a year.
Old April 19, 2019, 09:20 AM   #8
jar

While I own more Smith & Wesson handguns than any other make I must admit being very pleased with both the function and customer service I've received from Charter Arms. In the smaller framed "J" size handguns Charter Arms also has a pretty wide selection to choose from. From your description the Charter Arms Undercover series might meet your requirements. My example (sample size of 1 unfortunately) has been utterly reliable. In addition, Charter has been responsive and forthright in all my communications with the company even getting email responses from the CEO directly. And the cylinder turns deosil not widdershins.

Old April 19, 2019, 10:29 AM   #9
Onward Allusion

400-500 rounds thru a SC gun per year is definitely NOT a lot. I guess I should have clarified that I shoot 200 to 300 rounds per week. Even that is not a lot. If you get that J Frame and shoot that round count with just 38's, it should last you decades.
Old April 19, 2019, 10:32 AM   #10
Lohman446

Quote:
400-500 rounds thru a SC gun per year is definitely NOT a lot. I guess I should have clarified that I shoot 200 to 300 rounds per week. Even that is not a lot. If you get that J Frame and shoot that round count with just 38's, it should last you decades
Thank you, I had heard nightmare scenarios with some of them shooting hot loads and this was one of the concerns on my mind.
Old April 19, 2019, 11:48 AM   #11
Mikerbike

In my personal experience, I have found that the LCR has a better double action trigger than a Smith J frames out of the box for me. A good gunsmith can greatly improve any trigger, but you would need to spend money on top of the sale price, taxes and background check. Some used J frames have already had a trigger job which might be a consideration. Good luck with your shopping.
Old April 19, 2019, 12:31 PM   #12
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
I guess I should have clarified that I shoot 200 to 300 rounds per week. Even that is not a lot.
200-300 rounds per week, of what??? Through what???

That's somewhere between almost 10,000 and 15,000 rounds a year, and you say "its not a lot".

I think that's a lot, even if its only .22LR
Old April 19, 2019, 01:25 PM   #13
lamarw

I have three suggestions for you and not in a preference order:

1. S&W Model 36

2. S&W Model 10 snub nose

3. S&W Model 66 snub nose

There are plenty of them out there in the used market to choose from in order to get one in nice condition and at a reasonable price. You could also substitute a Model 19 for the Model 66. Both the 19 & 66 will run a bit more in price.
Old April 19, 2019, 01:49 PM   #14
74A95

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamarw View Post
I have three suggestions for you and not in a preference order:

1. S&W Model 36

2. S&W Model 10 snub nose

3. S&W Model 66 snub nose
The latter two don't even come close to qualifying to the OP's criteria.
Old April 19, 2019, 02:08 PM   #15
cslinger

A couple observations.

-You can short stroke any revolver this side of a SAA

-You say you won’t run .357 and that hand strength may be a small issue with slides of autos. For that alone I say ditch that 11oz Smith. Hot .38 can be punishing in all those SUPER light smiths.

-The LCR trigger is very nice in comparison to about everything else and the plastic, although heresy and an affront to all that is good and natural on a revolver, does help soak up recoil.

-.327 is cool but it’s never gonna be Uber mainstream and it’s got a lot of blast imo. Not recoil per say but blast. Like .357 SIG in this regard.

-300 rounds per week through any of these gives me carpal tunnel just thinking about it.

-Taurus.......ummm yeah....something something don’t have anything good to say........don’t say anything.

My honest opinion is go with a .38 LCRx or a Smith 637. Honestly you might want up the weight a bit and go .357 LCR or Whatever Smith’s current steel frame .357 with a hammer is. Neither to shoot .357 just to add a bit of weight while shooting .38.

Last edited by cslinger; April 19, 2019 at 02:19 PM.
Old April 19, 2019, 03:41 PM   #16
lamarw

74A95, How so?
Old April 19, 2019, 04:10 PM   #17
Lohman446

Weight. If i am getting into that size firearm, and that weight, I am just as likely to carry a G19 or G29 - the full size slides don't present the same difficulty in manipulating. That and those two guns are boringly problem free.
Old April 19, 2019, 05:30 PM   #18
Onward Allusion

10K to 15K a year is average for me. It's mostly 9mm and now that I started reloading again, 38 & 357. Only about 25% of that is 22LR. For 22LR I shoot at least a brick when I go to the club. Thank goodness for Butler Creek and Maglula. Still cheaper than golf, if you think about it.
Old April 19, 2019, 05:38 PM   #19
TxFlyFish

Short stroking the LCR is definitely an issue. Yes you can short stroke any DA it’s just much easier to accidentally do with LCR. Is that worth the lighter trigger? Only you can answer that.
Old April 19, 2019, 06:27 PM   #20
lamarw

Lohman446, You are the buyer, and I can't debate your last point in the discussion. Good fortune with whatever you decide upon.
Old April 19, 2019, 07:05 PM   #21
Carmady

Speaking of weight, a couple of years ago I tried a Charter Arms 12oz .38. Before shooting it the little stock cc grips were replaced with the factory "full size rubber combat" grips, and that little sucker was no fun to shoot. My experience with that killed any interest/curiosity I had for any of the AirLite S&W's, and that's with the intention of shooting .38s. Magnums? FT

I would go with a 17.2oz LCRx in 9mm or .357 (and shoot .38s).

Blade-Tech makes a just about perfect (imo) IWB holster for the LCR which can be had on Amazon for under $30.
Old April 19, 2019, 08:10 PM   #22
HighValleyRanch

A couple of other points of thought. The method of carry can considerably change the difference of several ounces. In both IWB and OWB, a stiff belt can make a world of difference. Two loops on the holster can made the revolver "feel" lighter than a single loop IWB holster, and the stiffness of the belt loops can make a huge difference as well.

In the pocket, the holster can make a difference as it distrubutes the weight around more evenly. The stiffness of the material of the pants make a huge difference, and whether the pants are loose or fitting matter as well. Too loose and the weight can move around too much. Too tight and the package might print but feel more balanced and stable. A stiffer fabric with help keep the package in tight, whereas too light a fabric will allow it to bounce around.

Method of carry finally can make the difference between a 22 ounce gun felling like a brick or a comfortable fit. It's all about distribution of weight and fit. I can carry a 2.5 pound revolver in a belly band, and it feels as comfortable as a 18 ounce revolver in a loose pants pocket.

So it's not just the numbers, but many other things in consideration.
Old April 19, 2019, 08:18 PM   #23
Lohman446

I intend to continue with my G19 or G29 as my belt gun. This is going to replace my P938 as a light gun and in a belly band for running. Weight when running makes a difference. Maybe in the long run it transitions to replacing the Glocks as primary but that would take a lot of practice.
Old April 19, 2019, 08:42 PM   #24
HighValleyRanch

^^^^
Off the revolver solution, but........
If you love your glock 19, and weight is the only problem, Krytos Industries makes a titanium slide for the glock 19 that will reduce the weight down to 18.5 ounces (the Kytos slide is 5.4 ounces lighter than a stock glock slide.
But......the price is around 500.00!!
sure you could buy another gun with that money, but if the glock is working for you, why not?

couple that with a belly band and I'm sure it would make a good running rig.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5ErapMeIgQ

The lightest combination I have for running is my 3" LCRX in the belly band. I don't run that much, but have practiced traditional martial arts forms many mornings with this setup on and hardly notice it's there.
Old April 19, 2019, 10:14 PM   #25
Overkill777

Forget the 360. Go with a regular aluminum frame airweight over that. I like the hammerless but if you want a hammer get the hammer or the shrouded hammer model.

I like Ruger revolvers but I like S&W J frames over the LCR.