The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 27, 2015, 09:15 PM   #51
Nick_C_S

sixgunluv: Did you notice your 147 XTP - the fourth one from the left - has a case split?

And yes, HS-6 is right at home in 9mm - especially with the heavy bullets.
Old February 27, 2015, 09:19 PM   #52
sixgunluv

pic

Nick CS,
Case isn't split.....just looks that way in the lighting of the pic(it's actually just a very light scratch from chambering). You know how generic pics are, and this was taken on my phone. Cases are all good shape.
Old February 27, 2015, 09:35 PM   #53
sixgunluv

Reloading

Checked my specs with this new bullet....first thing i did was push it into a fired case and push down in to my barrel and measure(my version of plunk test). I got 1.20 and approx magazine limit of 1.15 So instead of loading at 1.125-1.13 like i normally do, i decided to load long after hearing many people try to start long. I finalized on 1.135 Other factory 147 JHP i had mic'd at 1.12-1.125 I still don't fully understand why many recommend loading long other than to try to have lower pressure. Anywho my final load is ready for the range.
Comments on reason for starting long....anyone.
1.135-1.139 OAL
Zero 147 gr JHP
HS-6 Powder 4.6 gr
Old February 27, 2015, 09:46 PM   #54
skizzums

sorry, I will admit that I didn't read the whole thread. but hs-6 makes an awesome power for 147gr 9m, extremely accurate. it also tops for velocity for lightweight 9mm defensive rounds, really incredible velocity, although case capacity can be an issue.

as long as your 9mm has no issues setting off mag primers, I recommend using them with a full case of hs-6 for more reliable ignition and better consistency shot to shot, and a moderate crimp
Old February 28, 2015, 09:37 AM   #55
Frankly

I like it when materials can be repurposed rather than recycled...

I bought the redwood four-bys of course for this project, but the other items were leftover. The reinforced plywood squares were part of a project long abandoned and had been taking up valuable real estate for several years...

Connect it all together...

And this is just a mock up. I salvaged this old desktop years ago thinking I would have use for it some day. Right now it's just sitting on there. Not sure whether I want to center it as pictured or align flush to front (leaving about 8 inch overhang to the rear). Advice?

BTW: desktop dimensions are 3' by 6'... support top dimensions are 4' by approx 30 inches... as currently mocked up, distance from floor to desk top is 43 inches... any suggestions before I finalize the assembly are more than welcome...

Last edited by Frankly; February 28, 2015 at 09:47 AM.
Old February 28, 2015, 10:39 AM   #56
sawdustdad

Frankly, looks plenty strong. Only thing I'd add is some diagonal bracing to prevent racking. Maybe a flat panel between the legs across the back, and a mid-shelf to round out the project. The flat panel between the rear legs will significantly increase the rigidity.
Old February 28, 2015, 02:01 PM   #57
Frankly

Quote:
hs-6 makes an awesome power for 147gr 9m, extremely accurate
For my 9mm needs, I've stockpiled something like 9,000 124 grain Nosler JHPs... that's what I will be loading for the foreseeable future. Would you say HS-6 is a top notch powder for that bullet in terms of accuracy?

PS... maybe it was 7,000. It all becomes a blur...
Old February 28, 2015, 06:41 PM   #58
Frankly

Quote:
Maybe a flat panel between the legs across the back
Didn't have anything like that on hand, so I went this route:

I still need to beef it up under where the press will be mounted... still thinking about the shelf idea; of course, I could always add that later.
Old March 1, 2015, 10:06 PM   #59
Nick_C_S

Looks good Frankly. Lookin' good.
Old April 15, 2015, 06:47 PM   #60
Frankly

My wife decided the desktop would be put to better use as the sewing table she says I am going to build for her.

So this is what I ended up with, a few embellishments later.

Thanks everyone for feedback on my original post. I now have some new questions but will start a new thread for them.

My best,
Frankly

Last edited by Frankly; April 16, 2015 at 08:48 AM.
Old April 16, 2015, 04:49 AM   #61
1100 tac

Good lookin' job, and I am glad that you addressed one of the most important issues, LIGHT!

And there is enough room for your future Dillon 550b too!

Good luck with the sewing table,,,

Last edited by 1100 tac; April 16, 2015 at 05:02 AM.
Old April 16, 2015, 08:46 AM   #62
Frankly

Yes, I put more thought into light than anything else. Before I decided to add an upper shelf unit, I was going to construct an overhead light bar. The shelf unit made this easier because now I had a solid surface to run conduit along and attach the boxes to. On the left side I have three switches so the floods can be individual controlled. On the right side is a dedicated outlet, which the Harbor Freight magnifier light (swung wide out of picture on right) is plugged into. Those floods, by the way, are LED. I had considered florescent lighting but was determined to use lighting that would generate the least amount of heat, given that I cannot have a fan blowing in my face while working with gunpowder. LED is 99.9 percent heat free light. I am pleased with my decision but considering at least trying focused floods; these are the broad beam type.

Last edited by Frankly; April 16, 2015 at 08:51 AM.
Old April 16, 2015, 04:40 PM   #63
Machineguntony

You reloading room is so neat. I am jealous.
Old April 27, 2015, 01:09 AM   #64
sixgunluv

Zero Bullets

I have realized that due to the base of these bullets being smaller i can load them without having to bell the cases after resizing. Thereby skipping Die#2 of my 3 Die loading procedure. Anyone else loaded this bullet specifically?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Zero 147gr HP.jpg (31.3 KB, 12 views)