The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 25, 2009, 01:22 AM   #1
colostomyclown

saw a Mossberg 500 "just in case" for the first time in person today

LOL! 459.99. In the ad they make the tube look small...no. It's HUGE. I'm 6 feet and it came up to the top of my thigh and was almost a foot around. More like a barrel rather than a tube. I got a good laugh...amazing at people would buy.

Cliff notes - if you REALLY want a pistol grip shotgun, despite everything you've been told here (it's ok, they're fun I'll admitr) pick up a used Mossberg 500ATP and throw a Speedfeed pistol grip on it. Voila! You'll have a better, cheaper pistol grip shotgun.
Old July 25, 2009, 03:09 AM   #2
T. O'Heir

There ain't no shotgun that's a foot in diameter. There ain't no pistol grip only shotgun that isn't totally useless either.
Old July 25, 2009, 03:31 AM   #3
LoneStarWings

It comes in a bazooka shaped cannister, that's probably what he was talking about with the "foot in diameter" comment.
Old July 25, 2009, 09:49 AM   #4
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I assumed the tube to be about 6 inch diameter.
Don't forget... they needed room for the handy dandy hunky dory survival kit.
If I ever felt the need for a JIC type set up using my PGO grip on my 500, I would have my luggage strap with 2 metal snaps clipped to the PGO swivel and a ton of ammo and survival gear in an over the shoulder back pack.
Brent
Old July 25, 2009, 09:55 AM   #5
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Truer words have never been spoken...
Quote:
There ain't no pistol grip only shotgun that isn't totally useless either.
Since fun shooting serves the purpose of putting a smile on your face as well as stress relief.
Now, tactical purpose? Advantageous only for needing a smaller hidey hole to tuck it into!
Brent
Old July 25, 2009, 11:53 AM   #6
LukeA

Quote:
Advantageous only for needing a smaller hidey hole to tuck it into!
And then there are sidefolders which only add a teensy bit of size but a whole bucketfull of usability.
Old July 25, 2009, 11:42 PM   #7
Southern Rebel

Quote:
There ain't no pistol grip only shotgun that isn't totally useless either.
Yep TO, you are totally correct - 2 weeks ago, I was walking along the creek next to my house and encountered a copperhead snake about 3 feet long. When I pointed my PGO toward his general vicinity, that cowardly PGO just refused to do anything but hide behind me! Well, actually it pretty much stripped the hide from the creature and left snakeburger in its wake.

It is statements such as the above that tend to render your status as a senior member as irrelevant. If you were to say that the PGO uses were limited or there were better choices for many situations or they were uncomfortable to shoot or etc, etc, etc, then that leaves areas for legit discussion and point/counterpoint. I have to believe that if all that stood between you and a bad guy about to take your life was a PGO, you would suddenly change your mind about it being "totally useless".

I am going to assume that your blanket statement was more of a tongue-in-cheek comment in an attempt to express a strong personal anti-belief toward PGO's in general and was not intended to be taken at face value.
Old July 26, 2009, 12:54 AM   #8
colostomyclown

eh, I'd rather have a full-stock scattergun any day of the week, but I wouldn't feel undergunned with a pgo. One's more effective, but the other isn't useless by any means. I honestly prefer a pgo over fullstock/pistol grip combos and ar-15 setups.

1 - full stock
2 - pgo (at least you KNOW you arent gonna get a good sight picture)
3 - fullstock/pg (better suited for a semi)
4 - collapsible/folder (terrible cheek weld in my opinion)

I just think the JIC package is hilarious. 459 for a gun I could put together better for 250, tops.

my ideal pgo would be a 500atp or 500 mils parkerized 18.5" 6-shot with the "witness protection" style Speedfeed pistol grip (less recoil absorption on palm/forearm). I say Mossberg because I'm a Mossberg guy at heart but honestly I believe the gun best suited to a pgo is an old Wingmaster with an 18.5" barrel. I made one up (I sold it to buy another pistol even though I loved it) and the weight of the gun really deadened the recoil a lot. It was worlds better than the lighter Mossbergs with a pgo. Just my .02, don't get mad I still prefer the full stock !