The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 23, 2016, 06:59 AM   #1
OS11085

difference in powder

some of you guys know I was given a load of reloading equipment. And you answered a number of questions for me. I thank you. Recently reloaded my first batch of 38 spl. Just to get my feet wet. Everything went fine. The "old" powder and primers worked flawlessly. With this batch of equipment I got an
8lb unopened can of w230. Looking through the new 49th Lyman manual for a receipe they show W231. What is the difference between the 2. Read somewhere that Winchester stopped making 230 because of some tripe about using it to make bombs. which I think is a crock. But that's neither here nor there. Along with this equipment was a melter and molds. Since I have been casting sinkers for years figured I would cast some bullets, not a problem.
I made some 230 gr 45acp. So in the new book I see 231. Is 230 acceptable.
Also have Unigue, Red Dot, 2400, H4198 and IMR4320. I know Unique is listed in the load data, along with 231. The loads given in the lyman manual are fro 225 gr cast with CCI primers.(which I have). Can I go with this load or use an older manuals data.
Old August 23, 2016, 12:49 PM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

Winchester 230 powder was an early, or initial version, of what would become Winchester 231.

I THINK 230 was introduced in the 1960s, and was replaced by a reformulated powder named 231 in the late 1970s.

Finding loading data for it will require finding old loading manuals.

The powders are similar, but the LOADING DATA IS NOT INTERCHANGEABLE!

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old August 23, 2016, 01:13 PM   #3
T. O'Heir

W230 was discontinued over 30 years ago. Doesn't even appear on the Burn Rate charts. Win 231 it is not though.
Any idea how/where the can has been stored? Even sealed it'll deteriorate if it wasn't stored properly. Cool and dry.
You need a 1974 or earlier manual.
A lot of assorted forums also have this post. Some of which have data taken from old manuals. A net search will turn 'em up. Winchester's site refers Winchester Powder questions to Hodgdon.
"...think is a crock..." Yep. Smokeless powder doesn't explode. It burns rapidly.
Read the Lyman manual. And get one of their bullet casting books. Bullets are not sinkers.
Old August 23, 2016, 01:54 PM   #4
OS11085

T. O'Heir
The 230 was kept in a A/C house. I know bullets are not sinkers have read much on casting and have already made some. Came out fine. Also have some older manuals with the pertinent data. Just curious as to the difference.