The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Closed Thread

Old March 26, 2021, 09:44 AM   #1
cptjack

Primer scalping

midway just raised their price from 42.00@1000 to 60.00.AND NOT IN STOCK BYE BYE
Old March 26, 2021, 10:10 AM   #2
hounddawg

Larry needs a a new Bentley, the old one is dirty.

Seriously, I have switched to off line shopping as much as possible and am now supporting the local gun stores whenever I can. I have found out it pays to make friends with the owner/employees there in times of shortages. It feels real good to get a call asking if you need some primers or powder before it hits the shelves

Last edited by hounddawg; March 26, 2021 at 10:16 AM.
Old March 26, 2021, 10:12 AM   #3
NoSecondBest

You’ll be saying “bye bye” to everyone. The cost has gone up everywhere, including the cost to the sellers. You should have stocked up ahead of time. This isn’t the first time this has happened, but it’s the worst. Back in 2001 or 2002 primers were really hard to get. I started buying in large quantities back then and kept enough on hand to weather this latest shortage. I don’t think this one is going to get better.
Old March 26, 2021, 10:47 AM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

It's going to be slow to recover. The gun control noise out of Washington will extend the panic buying mindset, making competition for products more fierce. I am feeling sorry for folks who didn't stock up sooner. I suspect the factory prices are increasing to try to stem the flow a little and help with all the overtime they're paying.

When immunization becomes ubiquitous and overseas shipping starts to normalize, then you'll see some price drops as imported components and ammunition start to arrive. But right now Europe is not doing well with the virus, including Eastern Europe. The Czech Republic (Sellier & Bellot) has had 1.4 times more virus deaths per capita than the U.S. has (equivalent to almost 791,000 deaths here). Italy (Fiocchi) is 5% higher per capita, and so is Serbia (Prvi Partisan). Russia (Tula) claims not to be doing as badly, but we have trade sanctions with Russia. Sweden (Norma) is only at about 80% of our total infection rate here, making it the only bright spot (if you can call it that) in the industry. In any event, the output is low across the pond and shipping unreliable.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 26, 2021, 11:15 AM   #5
cptjack

I bought CCT PRIMERS from LGS 400 @ 100 ONLY 2 PKGS not a high as midway you also pay hazmat and shipping
Old March 26, 2021, 01:37 PM   #6
T. O'Heir

That'd be the Law of Supply and Demand in action. None of the online retailers have anything in stock. Despite Hornady saying they're working 24/7, Midway shows nearly everything from Hornady as out of stock or unavailable. Only 35 of Hornady's products are in stock.
500 CCI #35 primers for your .50 Cal BMG runs $359.99. No other primers available.
Old March 26, 2021, 01:48 PM   #7
FoghornLeghorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjack View Post
midway just raised their price from 42.00@1000 to 60.00.AND NOT IN STOCK BYE BYE
There's still shipping and hazmat. Sometimes they have free shipping but there's still hazmat.

But, as they say, this just might be the new normal. Millions of new shooters into our beloved hobby and ammo and components manufacturers are working overtime, but none of them are building new facilities to meet the demand. They got burned on that strategy last time.
Old March 26, 2021, 02:01 PM   #8
dyl

Quote:
I have been buying my primers online from reloadunlimited.com and although they have prices that reflect todays market they usually have some in stock each day too. They do sell out sometimes quick. They had primers and powder in stock today.
*****Watch out. I just checked this website. It was created this month and somehow when all the big name stores are out, they have lots. They want you to pay via Google Pay only. Seems like a Scam.

Georgephilliphs as a user was only recently created, with a total post of 2. Seems like a scam.

Popped in just to get people to go to the website? Searching for mentions of people wanting to buy primers?
Old March 26, 2021, 03:35 PM   #9
IMtheNRA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyl View Post
*****watch out. I just checked this website. It was created this month and somehow when all the big name stores are out, they have lots. They want you to pay via google pay only. Seems like a scam.

Georgephilliphs as a user was only recently created, with a total post of 2. Seems like a scam.

Popped in just to get people to go to the website? Searching for mentions of people wanting to buy primers?

scam, scam, scam!!!
Old March 26, 2021, 03:54 PM   #10
FoghornLeghorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMtheNRA View Post
scam, scam, scam!!!
I checked them on BBB. Not good.

https://www.bbb.org/us/tn/calhoun/pr...959/complaints
Old March 26, 2021, 04:07 PM   #11
dyl

Fog horn, the website the scammer above is mentioning is “reload” unlimited, whereas “reloading” unlimited might be a real web store.
Old March 26, 2021, 04:32 PM   #12
Unclenick
Staff

He may be a scammer or may simply be someone they suckered. I have pulled the post until more information shows up. In fact, I think I'll close the thread, as the topic is no stranger to any of us.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Closed Thread