The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 18, 2002, 10:21 AM   #1
Mylhouse

Hearing protection for dogs?

I have a little Queensland Heeler/Austrailian Shepherd mix that I like to take with me wherever I go whenever I can. Sometimes that involves shooting in the wilderness. However, it is obvious that the noise of gunfire bothers and scares my dog, so I let her sit in the cab while I shoot. The Black Lab and the Great Dane that I had in the past didn't even notice gunfire, even if they were 3 feet from the muzzle.

Enough background. Is there anything on the market for dogs? Something that would be tough to 'paw' off or 'shake' off? (at least until the dog realized that the protection was for their benefit) Have any of you had any success with preserving your dog's hearing? (BTW, I'm shooting handguns and centerfire rifles, not doing bird hunting with shotguns)

Thanks!
Old February 21, 2002, 06:58 PM   #2
blades67

You might try the soft foam earplugs. You can train the dog not to be gun-shy, but a gun-dog will go deaf early and there is much that can be done to prevent it.

I hunt, therefore I am.