The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 8, 2024, 02:25 PM   #26
rc

Since the 94 crime bill went into law, I haven't seen the NRA do much to challenge laws but a lot to use the passage of new laws to beg for donations. I do hope the organization will change it's main focus from advertising and fundraising for profit to meaningful political action. Once you pay to become a life member, you will still get renewal notices asking to sign up for another X number of years on a regular basis.
Old January 8, 2024, 08:24 PM   #27
globemaster3

Life member, who has refused all contact with the NRA after WLP’s personal clothing allowance came to light.

This could be a good first step, but a LOT more needs to be done to right the ship, let alone earn the trust of those they’ve alienated over the years.

I won’t be holding my breath.

"We have enough gun control. What we need is idiot control."
Old January 9, 2024, 01:05 PM   #28
Mike38

Looks like a former NRA employee has cut a deal with the Prosecution and will be "pointing the finger" at Wayne LaPierre.

https://youtu.be/Dpl6ihgNk8I
Old January 11, 2024, 07:11 PM   #29
Mike38

Some more LaPierre information.

BREAKING: Wayne Lapierre NRA CORRUPTION EXPOSED

https://youtu.be/O2YKi9SOXd0?t=76

Watch until the end.
Old January 11, 2024, 07:38 PM   #30
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike38
Some more LaPierre information.

BREAKING: Wayne Lapierre NRA CORRUPTION EXPOSED

https://youtu.be/O2YKi9SOXd0?t=76

Watch until the end.
In other news ... water is wet.
Jeepaholic
Old January 12, 2024, 10:05 AM   #31
4V50 Gary
Staff

Well, maybe the NRA can rebuild itself after WLP departs. His absence is being rejoiced by the membership.
Old January 12, 2024, 10:10 AM   #32
Schlitz 45

I nominate Uncle Ted to take the reigns.
Old January 12, 2024, 02:04 PM   #33
SIGSHR

Not the first time a non-profit was used as an expense account by its top brass.
Much of the battle for the 2A and RKBA is being fought at the state level-cf. the passage of CCW and Constitutional Carry, strengthening state and local organizations should be our main focus.
Old January 12, 2024, 04:40 PM   #34
pricedo

... I wouldn't care if the NRA Exec were all made mafia men as long as they keep getting results and defending 2A
Old January 12, 2024, 05:59 PM   #35
LeverGunFan

Here is an article that delves into NRA financials - link.

The article seems well balanced, it gives some insight into the NRA financial problems. Will the membership come back now that WLP is leaving the NRA?
Old January 12, 2024, 09:46 PM   #36
FITASC

Quote:
Will the membership come back now that WLP is leaving the NRA?
I don't believe I will; and I was a member for about 40-45 years but am now happy supporting the GOA - they don't always ask for money AND they get things done - even here in Florida.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old January 13, 2024, 04:30 AM   #37
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeverGunFan
The article seems well balanced, it gives some insight into the NRA financial problems. Will the membership come back now that WLP is leaving the NRA?
IMHO, probably not until the board of directors and other WLP sycophants are also gone. The board continued to support LaPierre even after it became clear that he was scamming the organization. The board approved his 17 MILLION dollar retirement payout. The board was all set to approve purchasing a mansion in Texas for LaPierre using the organizations' (i.e. OUR) money. The board approved the changes to the by-laws that were proposed a few years ago, and the board helped campaign to persuade the membership to approve those changes.

The board (most of it) is as rotten as LaPierre is. "If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem."
Jeepaholic
Old January 13, 2024, 06:54 AM   #38
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Will the membership come back now that WLP is leaving the NRA?
The real question is whether the Millenials and Gen Z still think the NRA is relevant.

The NRA hasn't done much to reach them, and the perception is that they're out of touch. Much of this is due to folks like GOA and NAGR. Those orgs know how to work social media better, and they score points by nipping at the NRA's heels.

I see quite a bit of "well, what has the NRA done for me lately" stuff thrown around on Facebook and Twitter. I can point out things like Bruen all day long, but all most people see about them lately is the scandal.

I'm not sure how they turn that around.
Old January 13, 2024, 08:41 AM   #39
Shane Tuttle
Staff

The NRA will make a turn for the better when the HOR and Senate votes for term limits on themselves.

IOW, LaPierre or no LaPierre, the NRA isn't going to right the Ship.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old January 13, 2024, 10:40 AM   #40
Mike38

deleted
Old January 13, 2024, 10:43 AM   #41
Mike38

pricedo wrote:
Quote:
... I wouldn't care if the NRA Exec were all made mafia men as long as they keep getting results and defending 2A
When was the last time the NRA did what you are claiming they do?
Old January 14, 2024, 10:35 PM   #42
2wheelwander

Uncle Ted takes over, I'd sign back up. La Pierre was the face. How many others used donated funds. I recall I read about a $40k wedding using NRA funds? He wasn't the only one.

How many pennies of a donated dollar must go just to overhead keeping lights on. Seems its been some years under Wayne no pennies of that dollar even went to fighting for the 2A
Old January 15, 2024, 03:50 AM   #43
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
When was the last time the NRA did what you are claiming they do?
The recent Bruen case springs to mind.
Old January 15, 2024, 04:36 PM   #44
44 AMP
Staff

I know there have been cases where the NRA was not the "lead" organization getting them to court, but have there been any in recent decades where the NRA was not involved in some fashion??

Another point, is simply, the popular press and social media "influencers" (or what ever term applies) not giving the NRA credit for their role in anything other than giving the NRA full and FALSE credit for promoting murder.

Another point is the "what have they done for me lately" attitude. Bruen is going on a couple years ago now.
Old January 15, 2024, 05:24 PM   #45
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
the popular press and social media "influencers"
The popular press has made the NRA the strawman for anything that goes wrong involving guns. School shooting? Somehow it's the fault of the NRA. A politician's pet bill doesn't get passed? It's because the NRA spent eleventy billion dollars on lobbying.

(In reality, they don't even crack the list of top 50 lobbying organizations.)

As for the social-media people, there are two problems:
  • their knowledge of history only goes back a couple of years
  • they want everything fixed right now or they scream betrayal

So they tell us the NRA has completely sold our rights down the river because they won't get the NFA repealed right now or California gun laws are still too strict. They don't understand there's a process, and what's more, they don't want to hear about it.

They want platitudes and "no compromise" rhetoric. So groups like NAGR and GOA jump in to fill the gap. We live in an age when grand gestures are more important than boring action.
Old January 15, 2024, 05:54 PM   #46
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP
I know there have been cases where the NRA was not the "lead" organization getting them to court, but have there been any in recent decades where the NRA was not involved in some fashion??
Perhaps you have forgotten that the NRA actively worked to BLOCK the Heller case at the Supreme Court? Then, after Heller won, the NRA portrayed their role as if they were the ones who primarily secured the win.

The NRA hasn't been entirely useless, but they also have definitely not been entirely helpful.
Jeepaholic
Old January 15, 2024, 06:10 PM   #47
4V50 Gary
Staff

I suppoe the rule of politics also applies to the NRA Board. Never vote for an inccumbent. (S)he cheated/stole enough the first time.
Old January 15, 2024, 07:03 PM   #48
FoghornLeghorn

The hugely bloated board of directors are complicit in perpetuating this fraud. They need to go, otherwise the NRA of the future is the same old same old.
Old January 16, 2024, 01:54 AM   #49
Cirdan

The corruption goes beyond Wayne. One of the ways he stayed in power was to have a huge Board of Directors, most of whom have fat contracts with the NRA for consulting and support. You'll have to clean out the whole mess to get to an honest organization.

ALWAYS a bad sign when your directors get fat consulting agreements.
Old January 16, 2024, 01:55 PM   #50
seanc

Lots of good people in the NRA providing training and educational opportunities all over this country. That used to be their bread and butter. That's what they did and still do their best at.

The NRA should NOT be destroyed. We need them. They are the largest gun rights organization in the country and when they finish cleaning house, they'll double in size. Many --MANY-- former members like myself want to join again, but not while there's still a whiff of the corruption that WLP represents.

The executive leadership and bylaws were engineered to serve 1 man: WLP. There needs to be a change to the roles of the national board and the executive VP. WLP wore too many hats and too many people deferred to him rather than fight the whole organization. Smarter people than me will have to figure out how to fix this mess.

I joined GOA for their aggressive 2A advocacy. An NRA trainer said to me the NRA historically was about gun safety and training and suggested joining GOA for no compromise advocacy since that was never what the NRA was about. Lately, it seems the NRA has been the group making grand gestures on the advocacy and constitutional rights fight.
Quote:
They want platitudes and "no compromise" rhetoric. So groups like NAGR and GOA jump in to fill the gap. We live in an age when grand gestures are more important than boring action.