The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights > Legal and Political

Old July 8, 2006, 05:11 AM   #1
40MM

Nation of cowards

Sorry if this posted here before but it inspired me so i figured i would share it..

A NATION OF COWARDS

Jeffrey R. Snyder

OUR SOCIETY has reached a pinnacle of self-expression and respect for individuality rare or unmatched in history. Our entire popular culture -- from fashion magazines to the cinema -- positively screams the matchless worth of the individual, and glories in eccentricity, nonconformity, independent judgment, and self-determination. This enthusiasm is reflected in the prevalent notion that helping someone entails increasing that person's "self-esteem"; that if a person properly values himself, he will naturally be a happy, productive, and, in some inexplicable fashion, responsible member of society.

And yet, while people are encouraged to revel in their individuality and incalculable self-worth, the media and the law enforcement establishment continually advise us that, when confronted with the threat of lethal violence, we should not resist, but simply give the attacker what he wants. If the crime under consideration is rape, there is some notable waffling on this point, and the discussion quickly moves to how the woman can change her behavior to minimize the risk of rape, and the various ridiculous, non-lethal weapons she may acceptably carry, such as whistles, keys, mace or, that weapon which really sends shivers down a rapist's spine, the portable cellular phone.

Now how can this be? How can a person who values himself so highly calmly accept the indignity of a criminal assault? How can one who believes that the essence of his dignity lies in his self-determination passively accept the forcible deprivation of that self-determination? How can he, quietly, with great dignity and poise, simply hand over the goods?

The assumption, of course, is that there is no inconsistency. The advice not to resist a criminal assault and simply hand over the goods is founded on the notion that one's life is of incalculable value, and that no amount of property is worth it. Put aside, for a moment, the outrageousness of the suggestion that a criminal who proffers lethal violence should be treated as if he has instituted a new social contract: "I will not hurt or kill you if you give me what I want." For years, feminists have labored to educate people that rape is not about sex, but about domination, degradation, and control. Evidently, someone needs to inform the law enforcement establishment and the media that kidnapping, robbery, carjacking, and assault are not about property.

Crime is not only a complete disavowal of the social contract, but also a commandeering of the victim's person and liberty. If the individual's dignity lies in the fact that he is a moral agent engaging in actions of his own will, in free exchange with others, then crime always violates the victim's dignity. It is, in fact, an act of enslavement. Your wallet, your purse, or your car may not be worth your life, but your dignity is; and if it is not worth fighting for, it can hardly be said to exist
Old July 8, 2006, 08:37 AM   #2
PythonGuy

"A Nation of Cowards" was published in the Fall, '93 issue of The Public Interest, a quarterly journal of opinion published by National Affairs, Inc.

Nice chest thumping, what you copied is just part of a larger piece, coupled with $3.19 that'll get you a gallon of gas here in NY.
Plus, since this is neither tactic or training related, it'll be locked in short order. We all like our guns here on this forum, you are preaching to the choir, or looking to stir up the "natives".
Old July 8, 2006, 08:41 AM   #3
GoSlash27

^ relocate to 'legal & political'?
Old July 8, 2006, 01:39 PM   #4
rhgunguy

The article brings up good points. I respect my individuality by being capable of protecting it; even if that means disrespecting someone elses "individuality".

Law enforcement is at the core of the anti self protection movement. Don't try to take care of yourself, that is our job; and the notion that you *might* be able to stop the assailant, you could just as easily be killed with your own weapon are all insults to the armed public. But quite to the contrary, the events in New Orleans show us that LE can not be counted on to protect us, further enforced by court decisions that they have no duty to protect us, no matter what they put on the side of their cars.
Old July 8, 2006, 01:50 PM   #5
Cowman

I think the concept of honor which was held so dear in the past is now lost.

Today it's all about "what can I get away with?" ?
individual citizen to keep and bear arms shall not be
infringed.
(Source: Illinois Constitution.)

I can't find the astarisk
Old July 8, 2006, 03:56 PM   #6
Richard Hanson

Quote:
For years, feminists have labored to educate people that rape is not about sex, but about domination, degradation, and control.
I do not disagree that feminists have long labored to convince people that rape is not about sex, but about domination, degradation, and control, but I do not accept their premise so it is certainly not proper to consider the efforts of feminists to be education.

Rape is primarily about sex.

Respectfully,
Richard
Old July 8, 2006, 04:19 PM   #7
12-34hom

Law enforcement is at the core of the anti self protection movement. Don't try to take care of yourself, that is our job; and the notion that you *might* be able to stop the assailant, you could just as easily be killed with your own weapon are all insults to the armed public. But quite to the contrary, the events in New Orleans show us that LE can not be counted on to protect us, further enforced by court decisions that they have no duty to protect us, no matter what they put on the side of their cars.

That's total B.S. - every officer I've ever worked with was in favor of the premise of self protection for all members of our society. I would venture to say that most peace officers are like minded in that arena. Most of the gun grabbers or advocate this type of mindset are what would be termed "Upper echelons". This is not limited to the police ranks but all who think their safety is paramount - disregarding others.

Taking personal responsibility for ones actions and behavior - in any venue of life is something very few people can lay claim to, let alone in some type of deadly force encounter. let's not play the blame game, another form of lack of responsibility taken and embraced by those who fail to look in a mirror and really see what the reflections all about.

12-34hom.
This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life. I must master itas i master my life.Without me my rifle is useless, without my rifle i am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I Will. Before God i swear this creed. My rifle and myself are defenders of my country. We are masters of our enemy. We are saviours of my life. So be it until there is no enemy, but peace. Amen.
Old July 8, 2006, 05:12 PM   #8
rhgunguy

Quote:
That's total B.S. - every officer I've ever worked with was in favor of the premise of self protection for all members of our society. I would venture to say that most peace officers are like minded in that arena. Most of the gun grabbers or advocate this type of mindset are what would be termed "Upper echelons". This is not limited to the police ranks but all who think their safety is paramount - disregarding others.
How do you explain the difficulty that many Iowans face in getting carry permits in Iowa. It is after all the choice of the county sheriff. I realy don't consider that "upper eschelon". However, i am willing to admit that we live a pretty charmed life here in Iowa. For the most part our LEO are hunters and/or gun guys, but always pretty decent folks. But look at other places in the country. On this very board I have read that when a state passed CCW, police were handing out signs to buisnesses telling them that it was mandatory they be diosplayed. The signs said that you could not carry on the premesis. That is total B.S. Also total B.S. was the CHP forcibly dis-arming a little old lady in NOLA. You may have worked with some good LEO, but that does not mean there are not bad ones in the rest of the country that take a dim veiw of self protection.
Old July 8, 2006, 11:28 PM   #9
12-34hom

How do i explain the difficulties of Iowans getting ccw permits?

Sheriff is an ELECTED official in this state - you get what you vote for. Since this official has sole discretion in issuing permits - that's life - get over it.

Can't carry a gun everywhere you want - police handing out signs to businesses - have you EVER seen this happen where you live or talk to an officer that holds this type of beliefs?

Some people or businesses don't want firearms on their premises - that's their right, no B.S. about it. If you don't like it don't go there or place any of your business in there establishments.

Are there bad police, certainly - just as there are bad apples in all civil service professions. but for the most part, the vast majority are here to help and render service when called on.

12-34hom.
This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life. I must master itas i master my life.Without me my rifle is useless, without my rifle i am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I Will. Before God i swear this creed. My rifle and myself are defenders of my country. We are masters of our enemy. We are saviours of my life. So be it until there is no enemy, but peace. Amen.
Old July 9, 2006, 02:52 AM   #10
warwagon

Gentelmen, and women,

Law enforcement is just that, the truth is that very few crimes are thwarted by the intervention of police, nor can anyone reasonably document how many are prevented due to the presence of police.

For the un-initiated, the major task of the police in the criminal sense,is investigation of crimes that have occured, and aprenhension of those involved.

I as a former LEO,I consider the safety of the individual to be his, or her responsibility.

Yes,presence of uniformed officers does decrease crimes commited in the open,but that number is impossible to quantify.

In the end, it is your family, or individual life to defend.

Sory to rant, but some things need to be said.

Best regards,

Blair
Old July 9, 2006, 06:17 AM   #11
garryc

Quote:
Today it's all about "what can I get away with?" ?
What these high minded people don't recognize is that criminals do a basic risk assessment. They are gamblers. "What do I have to risk. -What is the penalty if I fail and get caught. What is the chance I'll be caught." Now, toss in the factor of, " I might DIE on the spot", and that throws the whole calculation in another in another direction.
Old July 9, 2006, 09:28 AM   #12
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
but your dignity is
Somehow, dignity seems like something pretty lame to fight over. If your dignity must be proven by fighting, then you have some real self esteem issues.
Old July 9, 2006, 05:05 PM   #13
rhgunguy

Human dignity is a very important thing. No one needs to prove it by fighting, but to defend it is important. Clearly you have never known someone who was victimzed by violent crime. It can leave them a shell of themselves. Insulting someone for their belifes and what they think is worth fighting for shows your own lack of self esteem.
Old July 9, 2006, 05:37 PM   #14
Bud Helms

Let's not make pronouncements on the meaning each other's beliefs and level of self esteem, okay?

That said, I think the distinction made by rhgunguy is very perceptive: you don't need to look for a fight, but you shouldn't be a sheep.

Instances abound in man's history that show dignity can be the last thing you have to make you human, no matter your condition. Nothing to be taken lightly.
Old July 10, 2006, 09:49 AM   #15
garryc

Quote:
Somehow, dignity seems like something pretty lame to fight over.
In rape cases the primary loss is ones own dignity. So I guess someone about to be raped should not fight to keep their dignity. From the personal accounts I've read over the years it seems that those who fought and lost are mentally less injured than those who submitted. If someone fights and is over powered then at least they know they fought,gave it their best shot. If someone simply surrenders they know that they gave up and did not value themselves enough to fight for themselves.
Dignity is at the core of someone’s being. If I fight someone then I am fighting for one of the essential elements of my humanity. I'd really rather loose my property than my since of self. Death comes in many forms, the worst is not physical death but death of self identity. Each person has to decide for themselves what is worth fighting or dieing for. I cannot decide that for you, nor can you for me. If I decide to fight for my core values or my view of myself that’s my choice. Just like if you decide to submit passively it's your choice. None of us here have the right to judge each other for those choices.
Old July 10, 2006, 01:24 PM   #16
Harley Quinn

garryc

garryc mentions:

>>>>In rape cases the primary loss is ones own dignity. So I guess someone about to be raped should not fight to keep their dignity. From the personal accounts I've read over the years it seems that those who fought and lost are mentally less injured than those who submitted. If someone fights and is over powered then at least they know they fought,gave it their best shot. If someone simply surrenders they know that they gave up and did not value themselves enough to fight for themselves.
Dignity is at the core of someone’s being. If I fight someone then I am fighting for one of the essential elements of my humanity. I'd really rather loose my property than my since of self. Death comes in many forms, the worst is not physical death but death of self identity. Each person has to decide for themselves what is worth fighting or dieing for. I cannot decide that for you, nor can you for me. If I decide to fight for my core values or my view of myself that’s my choice. Just like if you decide to submit passively it's your choice. None of us here have the right to judge each other for those choices.<<<<

I have to say you are right on. One of the reasons we as community have to help people and not judge them, we have courts that do that. 12 sit and are supposed to take care of that issue.

Health care should be available to all. Problem is the secrets that they hold will eat them up, they are then a major problem to our society.

Carl Jung talked about that in his book "Man and his Symbols". Good stuff.

HQ
Old July 10, 2006, 04:08 PM   #17
2rugers

Right on the mark Richard Hanson and Rhgunguy.
Old July 11, 2006, 07:30 AM   #18
BlueTrain

I don't understand. Is he suggesting that we be conformist, let others think for us, have no self-determination, have no self-esteem (pride) or what?
Buy War Bonds.
Old July 11, 2006, 11:17 AM   #19
Harley Quinn

Samurai's had dignity

The rest were conformist's or died on the spot. If you think that is the way to go you are sadly mistaken.

There is a high road and a low road and then there is one somewhere in the middle that most of us live with (go down).

Pride is costly and so is being a victim. The thing is, everyone should have the choice as to which one they will be. Even if you win you are a victim of crime. So many figure what is the use?

We have a major failure occuring in our country and it is the crime rate and that is what he is talking about. If you as a person do not have the desire or the fortitude to take it to the bad guy, then we will all go down with the ship.

I believe that is what he is talking about.

HQ
Old July 11, 2006, 11:44 AM   #20
BlueTrain

The last president that talked about the crime problem in this country was Nixon.

Crime is not the most serious problem this country has.

We have a problem with the balance of payments (we buy more from overseas than we sell overseas). That may or may not be a crime but it is enriching some of our enemies and former enemies and reducing our standard of living.

We have a problem with the deficit, which may or may not be a crime. However, the federal government has accumulated a huge debt in the last few years, reduced the taxes of the richest and is going to leave it to the next generation (and next administration) to solve.

We have a problem with immigration. It may or may not be a crime but it is also reducing the standard of living in this country both for the native born and for the immigrants. It is creating instability at the local level in many areas of the country and you know it.

We have a problem with the current administration invading other countries, which may or may not be a crime. However, it hasn't solved any problems and doesn't look like it is able to wind things up to a satisfactory conclusion. We evidently aren't killing enough people in the countries we have invaded to make a difference. That's how wars are won, like it or not.

Those are the things I'm worried about. I'm not worried about crime.
Buy War Bonds.
Old July 12, 2006, 01:46 PM   #21
pitz96

I'm impressed

Wow, as a newby on this forum, I'm impressed with the thoughtfulness and good sense shown by many posters. It's refreshing to know that not all gun owners are knee-jerk supporters of the neocon line of thinking.
Old July 12, 2006, 05:48 PM   #22
rhgunguy

Quote:
Wow, as a newby on this forum, I'm impressed with the thoughtfulness and good sense shown by many posters. It's refreshing to know that not all gun owners are knee-jerk supporters of the neocon line of thinking.
Thoughtfulness and good sense are the hallmarks of responsible gun owners; the group that this forum is dedicated to.

The last time I heard the phrase knee-jerk used in context with gun owners Sarha Brady was talking.
Old July 14, 2006, 01:07 AM   #23
hunters_haven

An observation

Speaking as a former victim (never again will I let that happen), there is something to be said for retaining one's dignity, self-respect and honor. Perhaps in our society we don't value these things, but in many cultures these things make or break one's place in one's culture. Never again will be forced to plead for my life because I had no way to protect myself. I always stay armed, in one fashion or another, and I will NEVER surrender my dignity again. If I am to die, it will be after I had struck a fatal blow to my attacker and make that person bleed out along with me. I have a strong desire for self-preservation so I make sure I have the skills necessary to remain alive while making sure that I can effectively terminate the threat to my life.

Unless you have been where I have been, it is rather difficult to understand how it feels. I politely, but firmly, state that until you know how it feels to be a victim, you can't fully comprehend the psychological pain that stays with you, making you wish that you had died so it would stop. Rather than wallow in the pain, I turn it into a drive to protect my life. Though I strive to avoid conflict, if I have to fight, I fight to win and will use whatever means, methods and tactics are required for me to do so.

I am neither a hero nor a coward, rather just a human being who wants to ensure that he remains alive as long as possible.
Old July 14, 2006, 07:46 AM   #24
BlueTrain

I would suggest that we are succeeding too well at being a kindler and gentler society. I never realized how much freedom I had as a child and at the same time, what a relatively rough neighborhood I grew up in, at least by small town standards. My mother was an invalid, so I was somewhat unsupervised much of the time, compared with other kids, though all of my friends enjoyed pretty much the same freedom in most ways. The funny thing is that it seems like I went to the movies more, watched more TV and still managed to be outside somewhere a lot.

I was in fights all the time and did have to go to the hospital a couple of times. No, I didn't carry a weapon and don't now (See, I live in a nice neighborhood now). A person has to be willing to put up with some hard knocks and some pain to be able to stand up to other people for whatever reason. You also can't be all that shy, either, which is another story. You also have to overcome the idea that danger lurks around every corner, or if you are in the woods, every tree. It just isn't that way, though my standards may not be the same as yours. That isn't to say there isn't any danger but rather that you can't let it stop you.

Oh, yeah. I wore glasses, too. That didn't help anything. I sure went through a lot of glasses, including when I was in the army. I guess horseplay isn't tolerated now, though.

Or as someone else put it, "Life is truly difficult. Acceptance of this fact makes life much easier; difficulty becomes normal and is no longer an issue."

Now, finally, I'm not so sure at this point I want to stay alive as long as possible. To what end?
Buy War Bonds.
Old July 14, 2006, 10:49 AM   #25
garryc

This is a part of this story.
http://ktla.trb.com/news/la-na-pepe1...ll=ktla-news-1
"He arrived at the hospital with the knife's black handle still jutting from his eye, quivering. "Louis refused to be carried out," recalled his sister, Eileen Trotta. "He wanted to walk out to show the terrorists that we won, meaning the U.S.A., and that he did not give up."

Talk about maintaining dignity, and then being cast aside like garbage.