The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 2, 2022, 06:27 AM   #1
jetinteriorguy

First sip of blue Kool Aid

I just picked up a used Dillon 550 with some added goodies for $400.00 and couldn’t resist. It needed some TLC, but with a good cleaning and lubing it’s running like a well oiled clock. It came with the Dillon stand, bullet tray, and roller handle and is set up for 9mm. The only missing parts were a couple of the locator pins, the primer catcher, and the cap for the powder measure. I see there are a good number of after market things available, but as smooth as this runs I’m just curious if any of these things are necessary? I really like the design of the Dillon dies, how you can remove the guts for cleaning by just removing a pin.
Old July 2, 2022, 09:46 AM   #2
Seamaster

Recommend purchasing the spare parts kit from Dillon, good insurance.
Old July 2, 2022, 09:57 AM   #3
olduser

The best after market item that I really like is the led light from Inline Fabrication. It mounts in the center hole of the tool head and allows you to see the powder level in the case before seating the bullet.
Old July 2, 2022, 10:47 AM   #4
Sharkbite

^^^ THIS^^^

A must have in my book
Old July 2, 2022, 03:56 PM   #5
jetinteriorguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by olduser View Post
The best after market item that I really like is the led light from Inline Fabrication. It mounts in the center hole of the tool head and allows you to see the powder level in the case before seating the bullet.
I’ll check it out. Gotta be careful on their website, so much great stuff it can empty your billfold pretty quick.
Old July 25, 2022, 10:06 AM   #6
jetinteriorguy

I’ve been messing with this press for a while now and have discovered one indispensable item. Since I purchased it used and it was badly in need of cleaning and lubrication, of course I disassembled it and followed the videos on what to do. Everything went fine until after reassembly when I started having problems with the priming system. I fooled with it for a few days to no avail, then finally broke down and ordered the alignment tool for the carrier. After receiving it and readjusting things it now runs very smooth, with a few more minor tweaks. It’s been a real learning experience for sure and I’m really learning all the little ins and outs of this machine.
Old July 25, 2022, 09:01 PM   #7
HiBC

I don't know if anything has changed at Dillon, but my brother bought a used Square Deal press. It needed some TLC. My brother did not particularly know Dillon setup.

He contacted Dillon. They told him to box it up and send it to them with a few inert dummy rounds suited to his gun.

Dillon cleaned,reconditioned and set up the press. A I recall, the press was returned with little or no charge.
Part of Dillon's product is exemplary customer support.

This occurred years ago, Its certainly not my place to obligate Dillon to these terms today.

But I think if I bought a used Dillon press, I'd call Dillon Customer Support and have a friendly conversation.
Old July 26, 2022, 05:27 AM   #8
jetinteriorguy

I’ve been trying to contact Dillon for any kind of help or service and have had no luck getting through. The best I’ve gotten is an email stating they are having problems with their system and that’s it. So I got tired of waiting and just ordered parts and took care of things my self. Not a big deal, I spent about $50.00 on parts and tools and I’ve certainly fixed way more messed up complicated machines in my life. Funny though, when I ordered the alignment tool their service was pretty normal unlike trying to get any other help. Guess money still talks. I imagine it’s mostly just another casualty of the pandemic like every other business. I’m not trying to bag on Dillon, merely stating my personal experience. Considering all the fantastic reviews of their CS I’ve read over the years perhaps my expectations were too high.
Old July 26, 2022, 06:32 AM   #9
akinswi

samething happened to me I had some questions on ordering parts to actuate the powder measure on my Dillion RL550 since I was an idiot and bought the basic version , Im still waiting on a response 6 months later. They still send me catalogs tho, with pretty women on them if that helps .

The press by far has been amazing. If you are going to load different calibers, buy extra tool heads. They are pricey but worth it

I never tried their pistol dies, but rifle dies are ok

Enjoy that Blue press!

Last edited by akinswi; July 26, 2022 at 06:38 AM.
Old July 26, 2022, 08:26 AM   #10
jetinteriorguy

I do like the press, but I’m just going to leave it set up exclusively for 9mm. All my other pistol loading I’ll continue doing on my Lee Classic Turret since I have turrets for them and I shoot my revolvers at a much lower volume than 9mm. Have you checked for toolheads on Etsy? They have some pretty nice looking machined aluminum toolheads for a pretty reasonable price.
Old July 26, 2022, 10:45 PM   #11
akinswi

I have not, I usually buy the Tool heads direct from Dillion. The caliber conversions are expensive so I bought 1 for 223 and the other for 30-06. Its funny because I wanted to buy a forster co ax but couldn’t find one in 2020 so bought the dillion. Best purchase by far
Old July 27, 2022, 12:21 AM   #12
HiBC

A whole lot of enterprise just does not have adequate help these days. Choices have to get made.
Old July 27, 2022, 04:54 AM   #13
jetinteriorguy

So true, I do hope things get better. I’m sure it’s not a matter of their policy getting bad, just a victim of the times. I’m sure just surviving in business for anyone is extremely difficult these days.
Old July 27, 2022, 10:40 AM   #14
ed308

Dillon has had problems with both their computer and phone system for the last month. The system crash when they were trying to update it. They are supposedly back up and working to clear a backlog of orders and emails. But I’ve read on other sites some orders and emails were lost when the system crashed.
Old July 27, 2022, 12:10 PM   #15
ballardw

Today, 27 July 2022 the Dillon Precision website https://www.dillonprecision.com/
has this on the home page (in part)

"WE ARE NOW SHIPPING !
Our system issues have been resolved and we are now getting orders shipped out and delivered. We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused, but rest assured your orders will be processed ASAP."
and
"NOTE: All orders placed on the old website were received and are being processed. If you log into the new website and do not see your order history, please request it HERE"

So if you have an outstanding order it may be worth going to the website and checking your order history.
Old July 28, 2022, 08:12 AM   #16
Geezerbiker

One thing for sure was when I got my 550 set up and going for the first time, I wondered how I ever did without it and I've only loaded .45 ACP and 9mm with it...

Tony
Old July 28, 2022, 11:19 AM   #17
akinswi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezerbiker View Post
One thing for sure was when I got my 550 set up and going for the first time, I wondered how I ever did without it and I've only loaded .45 ACP and 9mm with it...

Tony
Amazing how fast you can runout of components .
Old August 11, 2022, 01:52 PM   #18
jetinteriorguy

Looks like Dillon has ironed out their technical difficulties and are back to business as usual. They’ve responded to all my requests and have mailed out some parts under their no BS warranty.
Old August 13, 2022, 07:45 AM   #19
Big Wes

I got a early '90's Dillon SDB from a friend for free, I sent it into Dillon for a check up / lube & clean. They sent me a new press within a week or so. No Charge!
I have 4 Dillon presses 1-550, 1-650, and 2-SDB's Can't beat a Dillon or their No BS warranty IMHO
Old August 14, 2022, 07:56 AM   #20
Viper225

My first Dillon was a 450 bought new probably over 30 years ago. It did not have Tool Heads, and the Powder Measure and Priming System were both manually operated. Great press, but it needed a Star Wheel Bad. You rotated it using a shell in the press.
It was sold, and I upgraded to an early version of the 550. I owned it for a long time, then I got an opportunity to buy a later model version with a few upgrades dirt cheap. The original owner decided to get into 600 yard Bench Rest. He started ordering things he thought he would need for loading TWO Rifles without consulting with a REAL Bench Rest Shooter. He bought two 550's and started adding a few aftermarket improvements. Then he got with a REAL Bench Rest Shooter and learned that he really needed different Reloading Equipment to win with. He put his 550 up for sale, and my brother and I bought both of them. I then sold my old 550 to a buddy of mine.

A note on the priming system. I have Cleaned, and I have Polished, and Dry Lubed, and Aligned the Priming System multiple times. It will work great for a while, then start skipping picking up primers again when it gets a little dirty. What I have ended up doing is visually checking to make sure I have a primer picked up and facing up every time. If it starts skipping I will start pulling the slide all the way back by pulling on the vertical pin on the back with a finger to make sure that it comes all the way back, until I decide to tear it down and clean it again.

I would not trade my Dillon for any other press for loading handgun ammunition.

Bob R

Last edited by Viper225; August 14, 2022 at 08:18 AM.
Old August 15, 2022, 05:31 AM   #21
jetinteriorguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper225 View Post
My first Dillon was a 450 bought new probably over 30 years ago. It did not have Tool Heads, and the Powder Measure and Priming System were both manually operated. Great press, but it needed a Star Wheel Bad. You rotated it using a shell in the press.
It was sold, and I upgraded to an early version of the 550. I owned it for a long time, then I got an opportunity to buy a later model version with a few upgrades dirt cheap. The original owner decided to get into 600 yard Bench Rest. He started ordering things he thought he would need for loading TWO Rifles without consulting with a REAL Bench Rest Shooter. He bought two 550's and started adding a few aftermarket improvements. Then he got with a REAL Bench Rest Shooter and learned that he really needed different Reloading Equipment to win with. He put his 550 up for sale, and my brother and I bought both of them. I then sold my old 550 to a buddy of mine.

A note on the priming system. I have Cleaned, and I have Polished, and Dry Lubed, and Aligned the Priming System multiple times. It will work great for a while, then start skipping picking up primers again when it gets a little dirty. What I have ended up doing is visually checking to make sure I have a primer picked up and facing up every time. If it starts skipping I will start pulling the slide all the way back by pulling on the vertical pin on the back with a finger to make sure that it comes all the way back, until I decide to tear it down and clean it again.

I would not trade my Dillon for any other press for loading handgun ammunition.

Bob R
This makes sense on the priming system, even with my limited experience of loading my first 500 rounds. Even if you forget to check the primer pickup, you can always feel when it skips a primer and just pull the case before advancing. This way you don’t wind up spilling powder from a case without a primer or having to pull it down later.
Old August 19, 2022, 04:22 AM   #22
Geezerbiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by akinswi View Post
Amazing how fast you can runout of components .
No kidding. Back then affording bullets was my problem. I had a few thousand primers and plenty of W231 on hand.

I bought a box of 500 cast bullets with my M1911 and it took me a year or more to load and shoot all of them. The next box of 500 cast bullets I bought took me a couple months to load off of them. This was all on a single stage press.

I bought the 3rd box of 500 at the same time I got my Dillon Rl550B and I loaded them over a weekend while learning how to use the press. As I recall I set up the press and loaded most of them on Saturday afternoon and evening.

I do miss Three Bears Gun Shop...

Tony
Old August 19, 2022, 02:59 PM   #23
akinswi

I Love my RL550C, It doesnt bother me one bit that it doesnt auto index. I did buy the dillion powder measure That I never use if someone wants to buy it PM will get you a good deal.
Old August 20, 2022, 10:15 AM   #24
jetinteriorguy

I’m still occasionally getting missed primers and in the last 300 rounds I had one slip through so I’d still like to get the priming system working more consistently. I’m curious if the aftermarket part that fits between the pickup slide and the frame that has a ball bearing setup on the side really improves anything. This setup helps eliminate any side movement on the slide to prevent binding.
Old August 20, 2022, 11:43 AM   #25
dahermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
This makes sense on the priming system, even with my limited experience of loading my first 500 rounds. Even if you forget to check the primer pickup, you can always feel when it skips a primer and just pull the case before advancing. This way you don’t wind up spilling powder from a case without a primer or having to pull it down later.
Primer tubes need to be clean also. After extensive use, they get dirty inside from primer residue and primers have a tendency to stick/skip.