The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 10, 2015, 04:33 PM   #1
MSD Mike

Case filling powder charge saved me

While loading 45 Colt on a Hornady LNL using 2400 the other day using case filling powder charge saved my butt. Every so often I pull a round and weigh the charge to verify nothing has changed. I pulled a round to weigh the charge and got pulled away for a moment. When I got back to the press I just put that case right back in and ran it through to the powder measure. Pulled the lever and powder filled the case completely up. Had I been loading my Red Dot load I would have has a double charge. Then I would have been on here trying to figure out why my Blackhawk was messed up when I was sure I didn't do anything wrong.
Anyway, plenty of lessons learned on that little mistake.

Mike
Old June 11, 2015, 01:22 AM   #2
Sport45

Good catch and thanks for sharing.

I've made a habit of always looking at the primer when reaching toward the powder measure. I've been surprised once or twice when powder dumped out...
Old June 11, 2015, 10:14 AM   #3
F. Guffey

Quote:
Blackhawk was messed up when I was sure I didn't do anything wrong.
In the absence of methods and techniques and thinking there is no way to verify every time a reloade pulls the trigger there is no way of knowing what 'IS' going to happen. I could not reload like that.

On a progressive press I use powder checkers and lock out dies. I also weight components and match head stamps. After loading 150 30/06 cases I should know the total weight of the case, bullet, powder and primer. Point? The only variable can be the weight of the case.

Then there was the day at the range when a shooter/new reloader got upset. He was doing everything he could to pull a hammer back on a Model 66 S&W, he could not pull the trigger, he could not rotate the cylinder, he could not swing the cylinder out. Anyhow, we fixed it, he started loading up again we did a very convening job shooting the rest of his new reloads was the beginning of a bad habit. Number one he did not know if the powder that was not dumped into the case that locked up his pistol did not get into the next round loaded.

He jumped into reloading in a dead run, we offered to give him all the ammo he could shoot, we offered to loan him all the equipment necessary to verify loads and we offered to pack up and help him with his methods and or techniques. Instead, he left.

F. Guffey