The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 14, 2015, 08:16 AM   #1
christian812

CCW…?

Maybe I'm tryin' to feel reassured… !?

Who is carrying à H&K P2000 (DA/SA/decocker) as their CCW and in which holster (IWB) ?

Don' you feel the first shot is a bit heavy on trigger ?
Old November 14, 2015, 08:30 AM   #2
flphotog

I don't carry an H&K but I do carry a lot of CZ's, the first pull is on the heavy side but I can still get an effective shot off and that is my primary concern. The harder pull on the first shot is considered a safety feature in lieu of a manual safety. I have no problem with it at all. I much prefer it to any DAO pistol and currently only own DA/SA and SA pistols.
Old November 14, 2015, 08:40 AM   #3
Metalboy

I do not carry the above mentioned gun, but I carry Sig/CZ/Colt DA/SA, and the first shot is SA, just like all the following. I cock the hammer.
Old November 14, 2015, 08:44 AM   #4
JDBerg

I carry an HK P30 with the V3 DA/SA trigger variant, I think the DA trigger pull is heavy but smooth. It is manageable with practice prepping the DA shot to control the trigger, it's a little extra effort but if you keep at it, you can get better at it. Like the earlier poster said, as an alternative, you can always practice thumb-cocking the hammer out of the holster, which for me beats having to carry a manual safety.

Last edited by JDBerg; November 14, 2015 at 09:02 AM.
Old November 14, 2015, 09:54 AM   #5
vyse.04

I had a P2000sk that I carried in an RCS Phantom IWB holster. It was a nice firearm, and I may get a P30sk later. I traded mine for a Sig P239 as I prefer the feel of the Sig, but they are both quality firearms.

The heavy pull is the nature of the beast. I didn't think it was too bad, but I don't mind the additional measure of safety provided by it. I would not try to cock the hammer back as I'm drawing from my holster though... if I felt the need to do that, I would probably carry a different gun. When I go to the range I always decock for the first shot. A few trips to the range and it wasn't an issue for me.
Old November 14, 2015, 10:02 AM   #6
sigarms228

I carry my 9MM DA/SA HK P30LS on occasion.

Along with DA only dry fire practice at home I do practice DA only when at the range and at 21 feet can keep the DA shots withing a 6 inch ring around center of target and that is with both hands and strong hand only. Now I can shoot a LOT better than that in SA but I am confident that I am good enough with DA for SD purposes. In any case if I have to shoot DA most likely it will be a LOT closer than 21 feet, probably bad breath distance.

When practicing DA I don't stage the trigger either because in a SD scenario I would not have time to stage the trigger. Just a relatively fast but smooth pull of the trigger all the way through.
Old November 14, 2015, 11:37 AM   #7
christian812

Wish the first DA shot with the P2000 was as smooth as my German P226 !
And practising at the range with a holster is strictly forbidden > gun in line towards the target then you can put your finger on the trigger.
Having a private home range (like Hickock 45) is just a dream !
This is Belgium
Old November 14, 2015, 12:11 PM   #8
AK103K

Dry fire at home daily, and you'll soon have that DA trigger down. The good part about DA pistols in this respect is, you dont even have to work at it, as the trigger naturally resets to DA.

Practice drawing and firing at the same time until its "thoughtless".

A "quality" gas airsoft pistol is also a great alternative to "live" fire, and can be practiced pretty much anywhere and with anyone. Some of the best and most "realistic" practice going. Just make sure you pick up all the little white balls off the hardwoods before the old lady steps on one in her bare feet. Dont hit her knick knacks either.
Old November 14, 2015, 12:26 PM   #9
DA/SA Fan

Train for the heavy first pull but if you ever need to use it for SD and have even an instant to spare, cock the hammer.
Old November 14, 2015, 09:27 PM   #10
CodeSection

Really??? Cock the hammer in a SD situation? Ignoring the increase chance of a AD? Seems like a prosecutor could easily argue gross negligence or premeditated action.

Better solution, train, train and train again with your DA/SA. Here is an interesting link....

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...led-carry-gun/
Old November 15, 2015, 12:50 AM   #11
BigMikey76

I carry a P-07 with the hammer decocked. The D/A pull took some getting used to, but lots of dry firing, especially practicing from the draw, has made it feel natural. It is just a matter of getting used to it.
Old November 15, 2015, 12:19 PM   #12
Spats McGee
Staff

I've deleted some minor bickering. Please do not let it turn into major bickering.
Old November 15, 2015, 12:25 PM   #13
DA/SA Fan

Spatts. With all due respect I had a point to make that was rebuked. I really would like to know how one has an accidental discharge when the gun is pointed at the person you intend to shoot.
Old November 15, 2015, 10:45 PM   #14
Oysterboy

I have the option to carry my HK USP V1 9mm in DA or cocked&locked. When your gun is holstered the trigger is protected and always draw with the finger along the frame.

If you're using leather holster and shows wear be aware that the piece of the leather doesn't snag the trigger in holstering.
Old November 16, 2015, 07:53 AM   #15
PSP

I carry a P2000sk in a Galco Concealable. I chose the DA/SA trigger specifically for the heavier (safer) first pull. I practice shooting DA and find it to be little or no handicap. Heavier, yes, but certainly not too heavy to get an accurate first shot. I shoot various HKs a good bit and I appreciate HK's triggers. They suit me.

Love this gun.