The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 16, 2015, 08:13 AM   #1
Opinated

FEG PA-63

Bought this with one magazine. Fired only 7 rounds thus far.
The safety/hammer drop lever is quite stiff. Is this problem likely to be in the slide or the frame? Is it OK to operate the safety lever with the slide removed from the frame?
Old November 16, 2015, 08:58 AM   #2
Doyle

If I recall correctly, the same mainspring that controls the double-action pull. Changing that spring out for a lighter one solves both the stiff DA pull problem and also makes it easier to actuate the release lever.
Old November 16, 2015, 11:51 AM   #3
silverbullet6oh
Registration in progress

Good Find

What a great find. I miss mine, one of those pistols I wish I had never sold. When I bought mine, it was at a local gun shop, the guy there didn't know much about them, so he sold it to me with two magazines for only $150.00. I really enjoyed using it for open carry. The hard recoil took getting use to, but it was functional, never had any issues with mine, and looked nice too. Also, it ate everything I fed for ammunition, brass and steel.
Old November 16, 2015, 06:55 PM   #4
Opinated

Agreed about the hard recoil. Very pleased with the accuracy. My first shot hit dead center of my target- and I am old enough to remember when my father was drafted in WWII.
The 9 x 18 has marginally better velocity than does the 380 and perhaps that accounts for some of the recoil-- but it feels much hotter.
I bought Fiocchi ammo.
My second shot resulted in my left thumb sliced by the slide from my two-hand hold. My subsequent grip with the thumb safely out of the way was not as good for accuracy. And I kept expecting a second cut.
Thanks for the comments.
Old November 16, 2015, 07:07 PM   #5
silverbullet6oh
Registration in progress

I believe its the blow back design on the FEG, in regards the hard recoil. I could be mistaken....... Wouldn't be the first time.
Old November 16, 2015, 07:39 PM   #6
Opinated

One other thing, I found that the safety lever must be in a certain position in order to lift off the slide as part of the disassembly procedure.
Old November 17, 2015, 08:43 AM   #7
sarge83

"If I recall correctly, the same mainspring that controls the double-action pull. Changing that spring out for a lighter one solves both the stiff DA pull problem and also makes it easier to actuate the release lever. "

What he said. Makes all the difference in the world in this piece. Get a wolfe kit and change it out, PA-63's are nice little pistols.
Old November 17, 2015, 10:45 AM   #8
Model12Win

A PA-63 in 9mm Mak is on my gunny radar! Sharp looking little guns. The two-tone finish supposedly was cheaper to produce, and is uncommon on military/police guns.
Old November 17, 2015, 11:34 AM   #9
Ifishsum

The safety/decocker lever shares a spring with the extractor IIRC, on the right side of the slide. Spring in the middle with a plunger on both ends; if it's really stiff I would check the plunger on the back side for burrs, maybe a dab of grease is all it needs. Removing the extractor will allow access to both plungers and spring IIRC, be careful not to let parts fly into orbit when removing the extractor though.

My son lost his extractor; the pistol still fired and ejected (blowback), we noticed the problem when the safety/decocking lever would fall down into 'safe' after each shot. Found a Walther PP .380 extractor that would fit, but we had to manufacture one of the plungers. Some parts are not easy to find for the pistol.
Old November 17, 2015, 01:33 PM   #10
tallball

My FiL has the 32acp version. They are often sold with 9mm magazines, IIRC. It's a nice little pistol and balances well in the hand.