The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 29, 2019, 06:42 AM   #1
USNRet93

Chinese police handguns

NOT any sort of political commentary or anything like that but interesting that the police dealing with the unrest in HK carry revolvers..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1455201462_a5ba.jpg (181.7 KB, 213 views)

"Tools not Trophies”
Old August 29, 2019, 11:40 AM   #2
Lohman446

Maybe our stoic professionalism that we try to instill has a negative impact. I followed the link you sent. Ain't no-one questioning if that officer is willing to pull the trigger.
Old August 29, 2019, 12:48 PM   #3
ThomasT

I had a skinny barrel model 10 marked RHKP (Royal Hong Kong Police). This looks like a heavy barrel model 10 in the picture. Excellent choice. I guess they are good enough that they don't need 15 rounds on board and another 30 in mag pouches.
Old August 29, 2019, 01:20 PM   #4
MTT TL

I think people are more worried about the armored vehicles given the history.
Old August 29, 2019, 01:42 PM   #5
MTT TL

If the bad guys have no guns than a revolver is plenty. They do have a huge array of weaponry including assault rifles and submachine guns and machine guns (mounted on boats) for different kinds of units.

There really isn't much violent crime to speak of. They have the lowest murder rate in the world and other violent crime is extremely low. The clearance rate on murder was 100%. Pretty astonishing for what is essentially a large city. There were a total of zero reported robberies with real guns last year.

https://www.police.gov.hk/info/doc/r...ew_2017_tc.pdf

You did make me look up HK gun laws and wholey gucamoley….

Quote:
Under the Firearms and Ammunition Ordinance, Cap. 238, any person who, without a licence or an exemption issued by the Commissioner of Police, has in his possession any air rifle, air gun or air pistol from which any shot, bullet or missile can be discharged with a muzzle energy greater than 2 joules commits an offence and is liable to a fine of $100,000 and to imprisonment for 14 years.
You can get a gun though, sort of if you fill out all the paperwork which is immense. From a self defense stand point they are near useless there. Sadly I can't say much else without getting political.
Old August 30, 2019, 10:47 AM   #6
jonnyc

Odd revolver AND even odder round. A mere handful (literally) of the rounds have gotten to US collectors, as the round is highly restricted in China. The idea is limited lethality and limited criminal use once the cylinder is empty.

https://modernfirearms.net/en/handgu...-revolver-eng/
Old August 30, 2019, 12:12 PM   #7
MTT TL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyc View Post
Odd revolver AND even odder round. A mere handful (literally) of the rounds have gotten to US collectors, as the round is highly restricted in China. The idea is limited lethality and limited criminal use once the cylinder is empty.

https://modernfirearms.net/en/handgu...-revolver-eng/
Guns Galore out Killeen had one of those back in 2006. They also had no clue how to get ammo for it. I think they were selling it as a novelty for $299.