The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 29, 2017, 01:37 PM   #1
bacardisteve

Late 70s Savage 112 single shot

I picked up a Savage 112 j 243 win 26" hvy bbl single shot. It has small action bolt spacing but what would be stopping me from turning this into a 338edge other than Swapping bolt faces? I realize unloading a unfired round would mean removing the bolt I'm ok with that as fired rounds have plenty of room.
Old November 29, 2017, 09:52 PM   #2
Mobuck

A "Savage 112 in 243 Win" is a long action with a bolt stop spacer behind the locking lugs. The action will handle 30/06 length by changing the spacer.
Old November 30, 2017, 08:46 AM   #3
olddav

A 112 action screws will have a spacing of 5.062". What is the distance between the action screws on the action you have? This info will help determine the age of the rifle. This is important because the firing pins have changed over the years, and a new bolt head will need to have the correct size hole drilled, (it can be a bit of a pain).
Old November 30, 2017, 12:17 PM   #4
bacardisteve

It has the 4.522 spacing.
Old November 30, 2017, 01:09 PM   #5
olddav

The info I have comes from Savage Shooters forum. You have a first generation short action. To replace the bolt head you will need to know the firing pin diameter so that the hole in the bolt head will match (correct size). Savage Shooters forum may be able to provide you with better/additional information.

edit: just for general info, short action models are two digits long (10,12,16) and long actions are three digits long (110,112,116), as an example.
Old November 30, 2017, 02:17 PM   #6
bacardisteve

The rifle is stamped 112 J. It's a bit off an oddball and from what I gather is considered an intermediate action only available on the single shot rifles from the late 70s. Thanks for the heads up on the bolt head hopefully trying to build this thing doesn't end up being a pita because of its uniqueness.
Old November 30, 2017, 03:40 PM   #7
olddav

You will find there are limited options for stocks, but you can still find after market triggers (Timney and Rifle Basix) and any of the new small shank barrels will fit as well.
Old November 30, 2017, 04:36 PM   #8
bacardisteve

I think sharp shooter supply has a laminate benchrest stock that fits. The trigger is actually pretty good just little bit of creep but breaks clean at 4lbs. If I can clean it up and drop it to 2.5 or 3lbs it will stay. Having trouble finding a bolt head at the moment I see eabco and Pacific tool and gauge sell them but neither mentions anything about firing pin hole size.
Old November 30, 2017, 05:49 PM   #9
olddav

If your trigger is a three screw trigger with a wire spring, there are a couple of tricks that will get it down in the 2.5#ish range. Be carful stoning/polishing the trigger as it is only surfaced hardened and very soft below the surface.