The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 2, 2011, 03:52 PM   #26
brickeyee

Quote:
a strain gauge to measure the strain induced by the applied weight at the end of the beam.
That is about it.

They can be vulnerable to EMI (electro magnetic interference) from light ballasts, switching power supplies, and even a radio nearby (radios leak all sorts of stuff, but chiefly their local oscillators).

If these signals get into the bridge circuit used to measure the tiny change sin the strain gauge it can do anything from produce no reading to an error.

Add to that the filtering (often done in software) to produce a stable display.
The actual output is always bouncing all over the place.

Some early scales could not track trickling very well.

The scale took the slow change as a thermal effect and averaged it out to zero, then when it became large enough suddenly jumped the displayed weight by many grains.

I still use mine mostly for sorting things, and rely on a plain old balance beam for checking powder weight.
Old December 2, 2011, 07:26 PM   #27
Don P

Had me a digital scale for awhile and used both digital and beam for checks and balances. Until the digital stopped working, changed the batteries and it still didn't work and thats when I watched it bounce off the wall and fall into a few pieces. That felt pretty good and a nice throw if I say so myself. Beam scale all the way now, no batteries to deal with or electric needed.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old December 3, 2011, 01:59 AM   #28
HoneyBadger

Not Bashing Lee

I wasn't bashing Lee Safety Scales or Lee for that matter. The majority of my metallic reloading equipment is Lee. I just prefer digital scales and know that others have trouble with beam style scales so I suggested a few cheap digital scales. If Lee made one I'd buy it. Personally I don't find reloading too challenging or I wouldn't do it - I just like digital scale...digital calipers too...welcome to the 21st century!

If folks are finding a balance beam challenging how are they NOT finding reloading too challenging?

Last edited by HoneyBadger; December 3, 2011 at 02:06 AM.
Old December 3, 2011, 02:35 AM   #29
Nnobby45

I have the RCBS 1500 scale with Chargemaster-- like mehavy-- and it works well. This scale automatically delivers precise powder charges with the push of a button. Favorite charges can be stored in memory.

You can buy just the scale, or both together.

Bought the Lyman version, but it was defective and I took it back and got the RCBS.
Old December 3, 2011, 11:03 AM   #30
gman3

I use the Lee scale, use the dippers to get a quantity slightly lighter than the charge I want, and trickle up. Works great for me. If I ever thought that I needed to use anything else, then maybe I would find something to make me think the Lee scale was junk. But since it does what I need it to do just fine, I don't see any need to go buy anything else. Don't misunderstand, I'm not cheap, and I like expensive stuff, but if the cheap one works good, the money can go towards a third NightForce Scope. No need to replace my dual purpose paperweight/powder scale.
Old December 3, 2011, 08:32 PM   #31
Don P

Quote:
Personally I don't find reloading too challenging or I wouldn't do it - I just like digital scale...digital calipers too...welcome to the 21st century!
Yep the 21 st century. The youngest stepson back when he was 4-5 years old could not tell time using an analog clock. Had to cover all the digital clocks with tape to get him to learn how to tell time analog style. Then the digitals were uncovered. Yep digital my derrière. The oldest at the same time was allowed to use a calculator to do his math homework, what did he learn???? How to push buttons to get an answer and hopefully he was pushing the correct buttons to get the correct answer. Digital, not for me. Even with my eye sight not being what it used to be I use all non-digital measuring equipment in the reloading room as well as in the garage for automotive repairs. Call me old school. I am just a little curious as to how many folks could read or not read a vernier caliper or micrometer if it were not digital? Screwed if the batteries go dead. Like my step son that didn't know analog.
Old December 3, 2011, 09:53 PM   #32
603Country

I'm all for digital scales and have put away my RCBS 1010 scale. Further, I'm getting the Lyman scale/powder dispenser for Christmas. As for folks saying that they'd rather do weighing and calculating the old way, be advised that I started my calculating with slide rules in engineering school. I can still use them to some degree, but they are mostly decorative now. I'm all for the new stuff. But...having said all of that, I think the newer generations are too dependent on exercising their electronics and not exercising their own brains. I hope I'm wrong.
Old December 3, 2011, 10:10 PM   #33
jimbob86

Quote:
table bump
If your bench is not stable, no scale (well maybe a cheap bathroom scale) is going to be very accurate.........

You seem to be complaining that the Lee scale is too precise......

Quote:
I can't even read a lee scale
Reminds me of these dunderhead kids the elementary schools are cranking out these days: they can't read an analog clock, tie their shoes, or make change..... I guess they spent too much time on "Dannie has Two Mommies" , Black/Latino/Womyn's/Insert Minority Group Here History Month, and The Drug/Gang/Bullying/Suicide/Homelessness/Gun Violence/Domestic Violence Awareness Programs.......
Old December 3, 2011, 10:12 PM   #34
jimbob86

Quote:
I think the newer generations are too dependent on exercising their electronics and not exercising their own brains. I hope I'm wrong.
THIS.^^^^ +1.
Old December 3, 2011, 10:55 PM   #35
dmazur

I was joking with my 87 yr old Mom the other day...it seems she has TiVo and I'm still messing around with DVD burners.

I said that, when I retire, I'm going to get a Selectric typewriter, a dial telephone, and a truck with a carburetor. And I'm going to sit back and enjoy simple things.

She thought that was really, really funny. (She knows I manage a powerhouse, including plant automation, and part of what I do is teach others the art of keeping complex systems functioning.)

I said that, just because there are fancy toys out there to make our lives easier, there is no rule that you have to use every last blessed one of them.

Or like the inevitable slide toward automatic everything, designed to require absolutely no thought on the part of the user.

So I'll keep on using my RCBS 1010.
Old December 4, 2011, 02:58 AM   #36
Wildshot

I decided to go with the Dillon. It arrived today. Compared it against the Lee and they are equal in accuracy to .1 grain. The Dillon is easier to use and is more stable, being considerably heavier. Also bumped the table several times and found it can take a bump better than the lee. Going to put it on a separate table that is very close but it won’t be geting bumped while loading. Thanks to all for your imput and suggestions.
Old December 4, 2011, 08:02 AM   #37
Nathan

For me a RCBS 5-10 works great setup on my safe. I throw charges. For rifle, I throw low and trickle up to weight. I also us check weights after setup 1x per day.

I find balance scales fast enough.
Old December 4, 2011, 11:05 PM   #38
dickttx

None of them work accurately if they are on your reloading bench. They need to be on a shelf above and not connected to your bench or a wall connected to your bench.
Old December 5, 2011, 06:02 AM   #39
mumbo719

Quote:
I decided to go with the Dillon. It arrived today.
Great choice, enjoy yourself and load safe.
Old December 5, 2011, 07:50 AM   #40
Don P

Quote:
Quote:
I think the newer generations are too dependent on exercising their electronics and not exercising their own brains. I hope I'm wrong.

THIS.^^^^ +1.
Finally some members got the point I was getting at and them being, 603Country and Jimbob86. Now I'm not saying no one else got it but they are the 2 that verbalized it on the keyboard.
Unfortunately I think 603Country is wrong and there exercising is the tv.video screen. I went to my H.S. web sight (trade school) and 2 of the fields that were available when I was in school are no longer offered. Totally different curriculum. All course's involving machine work are GONE
Old December 6, 2011, 05:49 PM   #41
Wyoredman

Quote:
Said while sitting in front of a computer screen! LOL
Old December 6, 2011, 08:00 PM   #42
Misssissippi Dave

I like the speed and convience of the digital calipers and scales. I do know how to use the annolog types as well. They are good at making sure the digital ones are accurate. I still know how to use a slide rule too. It doesn't mean I want to use one when a calulator is handy. The time saved using newer, faster equipment (so long as it is accurate) can be used to do other things you enjoy. Things like loading even more ammo so you can shoot it.
Old December 7, 2011, 07:52 AM   #43
Don P

Quote:
Said while sitting in front of a computer screen! LOL
Good point and I'm willing to bet 603country can use a non digital measuring device as well as I can also. Nothing wrong with the technology as long as you can do things without the technology. Non digital measuring devices for one. Had a fellow mechanic using digital and the battery quit. Gave him my non digital devise and he looked at it with the what do I do with this look on the old face. What do I know go figure.