The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 10, 2011, 04:39 AM   #1
alncoramdeo

Reloading for the 454 casull Super Redkhawk

Hello :
I am contemplating reloading 454 casull does anyone has good idea as what is the best brass and bullets? I have seen alot of bullets 452 and 454 which one is the best and why?

I appreciate any help thank you.
Old December 10, 2011, 08:54 AM   #2
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

I prefer Starline brass.

Slug your bore to determine which bullet size to use, especially if using cast lead bullets.

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old December 10, 2011, 03:09 PM   #3
mrawesome22

I use Starline brass and 240 grain xtp mags. A stout load of H110 makes this a real thumper.
Old December 10, 2011, 03:27 PM   #4
Big Yac

CAUTION: USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.

My Super Redhawk has a 9.5 inch barrel. My best accuracy is with Winchester brass, Winchester primers and Hornady 300gr XTP MAG bullets (Make sure you buy the ones that say MAG...these are made for the higher velocities in a full house Casull load as compared to a 45 Colt level load) I prefer Winchester 296 powder. As for lead, Cast Performance 360 and 395gr lead bullets give very good accuracy with 296. Lately I've been playing with Ramshot Enforcer and it gives fine accuracy too just not quite what 296 does, this could mean I need to work a few more loads too. All I can say about 296 is that you dont want to down load with it, a near upper end load seems to work best but again this is working up the load watching carefully for signs of high pressure such as flattened primers and hard case extraction. Enjoy, alot of people make this round out to be an absolute bear to shoot with front sights buried in your forehead, dont believe it, yes it does have some recoil but just keep a nice firm grip and be ready.
Old December 11, 2011, 09:55 AM   #5
Kevin Rohrer

I'd like to reinforce what the previous writer said about bullets. If you will be loading full-power loads, make sure the jacketed bullet you use is designed for velocities above 1400fps. Apparently, many pistol bullets are designed to expand at velocities <1400fps and blowup on even thin-skinned animals when driven to velocities >1400fps. One of the manuals I looked at today (Hornady or Speer) also said that using weak bullets may make them expand as soon as they hit the forcing cone and cause pre-mature degradation if it.

Handloader had a good article on the .454 in an older issue. I'll look for it when I get home and modify this message to include the issue number.

Postscript: the Handloader issue is #232 (Dec 2004) by Brian Pearce. It is a long, decent article talking about the caliber's history, brass (some is better than others), primers, and loads. There is a good list of mid-range and full-house loads.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer

Last edited by Kevin Rohrer; December 11, 2011 at 04:24 PM.
Old December 12, 2011, 07:56 AM   #6
Kevin Rohrer

I am leaning towards a .454 over a .44 due to the former having the same amount of energy at 100-yards that the latter does at the muzzle.

It was also interesting reading the Pearce article and looking at the load tables comparing the round being fired from a 4 3/4" barrel compared to a 7 1/2" barrel. The increase in velocity of the latter compared to the former was seldom more than 60fps.

I am trying to decide whether to get the gun in a 6" or 7 1/2" Freedom Arms for it increased weight (to soak-up recoil) and decreased muzzle blast.

As a side note, a friend of mine normally shoots a .44mag, but recently got a .460S&W. When the .44 goes it, it makes a "bang" . But when the .460 goes off, he hears a "Boom".

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old December 12, 2011, 02:04 PM   #7
alncoramdeo

reloading

Thank you to everyone for their responses.

I have Ruger Redhawk, the only bullets I came across was Hornady XPT mag 452 (Cabelas) any sugestions of other good stores?

Second question is: bullets for Colt and 454 casull are interchangeable?

I read a couple articles concerning the primer suggesting small Rifle primers is that accurate?

Thank you
Old December 12, 2011, 02:09 PM   #8
mrawesome22

Use the primer that the manual calls for.

45Colt bullets can be used but only if you drive them at Colt velocities which is very slow compared to casull velocities.
Old December 12, 2011, 02:19 PM   #9
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

Any decent gas check cast bullet will work fine too.

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old December 12, 2011, 08:58 PM   #10
Kevin Rohrer

Quote:
I read a couple articles concerning the primer suggesting small Rifle primers is that accurate?
The original cartridges used large pistol primers, but my reading is that they are to avoided as the brass is weak. Current .454 brass uses small rifle primers.

And speaking of brass quality, Winchester appears to be the strongest, followed by Starline.