The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 1, 2011, 06:23 PM   #1
savagelover

Back to primer storage ???

I am moving all of my reloading stuff to the basement.It is heated but I do get some water on the floor once in a while.Also have a humidifer down there..Am in the process of building wooden cabinets for my stuff....I will need to get some of those ammo box;s I guess...Is there anyway you can tellif the primers are gathering any moisture? Seems to me that it would have to be really damp to ruin them..I mean like 60 to 80 percent to cause any damage...Maybe be not,I have no idea...I was thinking of wrapping them in plastic untill I get a metal box or whatever...Thanks....John
Old December 1, 2011, 10:10 PM   #2
Jim243

If you keep them in their original boxes and sealed in Zip lock freezer bags they should be OK.

Jim
Old December 2, 2011, 11:55 AM   #3
rbf420

i keep mine in an ammo can sealed, with bunched up paper lunch bags. supposedly it helps with humidity.
Old December 2, 2011, 05:53 PM   #4
savagelover

For what it's worth,I ask the guys at Serria and he told ne with todays moderen primers they are not as subsiptable (SP) TO MOISTURE as they used to be...
Old December 2, 2011, 06:03 PM   #5
dunerjeff

Put them in a rubbermaid or tupperware sealed container with a few rolls of toilet paper/paper towels,they should absorb any moistuer. Even a couple moisture wicking packets.
Old December 2, 2011, 06:10 PM   #6
edward5759

Location: Phoenix, AZ. 30 miles from water, two feet from Hell.
I had quite a few primers put away.
What I did was to drill two holes in a ammo can
I drilled and installed two Schrader valves to the ammo can. Using Argon off my tig welder I purged the box with a tire filler, holding the opposite valve open.
It worked well. I had over 100,000 Herter's primers and they still work fine after 25 years.
I used a big ammo can that was used for sealing up something ? Little Boy or Fat Man maybe.

Edward 5759

This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!" -Adolf Hitler,1935"
Old December 2, 2011, 06:49 PM   #7
medalguy

Here we go again. It is very dangerous to place primers in any kind of sealed metal container. In the event of a fire they will explode, building up pressure until the container itself explodes. THIS is why firemen don't want to try to extinguish blazes in houses where reloading components are stored.

Read the SAAMI booklet on storage of ammunition and primers here. Excellent information:

http://www.saami.org/specifications_...01-Primers.pdf

Here's a pertinent quote:

Recommended Storage of Primers

Storage cabinets containing only primers are recommended.
These cabinets should be ruggedly constructed of lumber
at least 1” nominal thickness to delay or minimize the
transmission of heat in the event of fire. SAAMI recommends
against storing primers in sealed or pressurized containers.
Old December 2, 2011, 07:25 PM   #8
Edward429451

I store my open boxes in tupperware and my full boxes of 1000 in pelican cases. Perhaps I will construct me a wooden cabinet soon.
Old December 2, 2011, 10:45 PM   #9
dunerjeff

Edward,did the side of your container have "the enola gay" printed on the side?
Old December 6, 2011, 12:45 PM   #10
longspurr

I'm a fan of plastic coolers. I use small coolers for primers, and the large coolers for powder. Yes they are not "lumber", but they have "some" of the insulation properites of lumber. They are watertight which controls the humidity for basement storage.

This also works for taking ammo to the range in the summer. Keeping the ammo in a plastic cooler avoids the high temps that occur in auto's in summer.

If a person is Really concerned about a house fire, then constructing a BOX of fire rated sheetrock with the "cooler" inside should be investigated.

I have read of a firedept backing off and letting a building burn when they heard "popping" from ammo cooking off. This was factory ammo burning, not reloading supplies.

Last edited by longspurr; December 6, 2011 at 01:00 PM.
Old December 6, 2011, 01:52 PM   #11
edward5759

Location: Phoenix, AZ. 30 miles from water, two feet from Hell.
No it did not have "the enola gay"
But it did have sides that were made of 26 gauge aluminum so it could not take any real pressure it was more of an air tight sealed container. I had six of them and in the process of purging them out I blew one side out of the container with just the air pressure.
medalguy is right don't try to place them in a ammo can or something as heavy.
My box had walls about as thick as a modern day aluminum pop can.

This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!" -Adolf Hitler,1935"
Old December 6, 2011, 11:28 PM   #12
MrWesson

I keep mine in a plastic boat style dry storage box. I have to keep my reloading equip outside and its worked so far in the FL heat/humidity.
Old December 7, 2011, 07:43 AM   #13
10 Spot Terminator

Use a food saver vacuum packer for mine. Put 4 of the 100 packs in a small bag leaving plenty of extra baggie so I can use what I need and reseal the rest if need be.
Old December 7, 2011, 03:59 PM   #14
drail

Whatever you choose to store primers or powder in be sure that it will rupture quickly and vent in the case of a fire. Otherwise you essentially have a bomb in your house.
Old December 7, 2011, 10:04 PM   #15
hk33ka1

I would store my primers in something air tight. Perhaps tupperware or ziplocks inside a wood cabinet.

That said, I had some mixed Winchester primers that sat on a shelf in my basement in only the factory cardboard brick from the early 90's till last year. They were all 70's-90's vintage W-W and Winchester large pistol. That basement flooded a couple times and the humidity was usually high enough that guns/tools would rust if left there for a period of time and not bathed in oil.

When I loaded and fired those in .45ACP there was not a single misfire or hangfire in the bunch. They all worked perfect.

I also had some rifle primers I bought from a shop that have not been made since the 50's/60's and I don't know how they were stored before I got them. They all fired fine too.
Old December 9, 2011, 12:16 AM   #16
medalguy

Ever TRY to kill a primer so you could deprime the brass? Damn nearly impossible. Primers are made today to resist virtually everything.
Old December 9, 2011, 11:58 AM   #17
swmike

None of my primers stay in storage long enough to worry about them deteriorating. I am either "shooting them up" or loading them into ammo which I store in GI ammo cans with dessicant.

"In God we trust, all others are suspects."

"If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, either I won't need any more, or more won't be of any help".

Old December 9, 2011, 12:55 PM   #18
rclark

To me storage of primers is easy : Keep off the floor, and not in a sealed container. Mine are stored in my dry basement in a plastic drawer. Powder is stored across the room in wood cabinet.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.

Last edited by rclark; December 9, 2011 at 07:34 PM.
Old December 9, 2011, 03:57 PM   #19
brickeyee

Quote:
Also have a humidifer down there..
A dehumidifier might be a better option.
Old December 9, 2011, 04:27 PM   #20
DeeDubya

I generally buy 10-20,000 small pistol at a pop. I just slip the boxes of 5000 each in a quart zip lock and seal it up. I've had some stored for years without a failure. Never store primers and powder in the same vessel.

NRA Life Member
Old December 9, 2011, 06:10 PM   #21
CherokeeT

Just keep them in the original boxes and off the floor, away from water sources. Has worked for me for 50 years in humid climate or damp basements.

Last edited by CherokeeT; December 9, 2011 at 06:41 PM.