The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 29, 2000, 01:12 AM   #1
slickpuppy

OK folks I have been considering this tool but, after perusing the Sinclair catalog the priming tool uses Lee shellholders. I haven't been impressed at all with anything Lee so far - especially their shellholders in the cheapy single stage from them I picked up last year in their anniversary kit(which I rapidly replaced with a Dillon 550).

So my question to you out there who use the Sinclair tool is: Have you had any problems with the sloppiness of the Lee stuff in conjunction with the Sinclair tool?

Thanks
Old December 29, 2000, 01:50 AM   #2
bk40

the Lee s/h's have been no problem in my Sinclair primer. Another quality hand primng tool is the K&M. I have and use both of these... in all honesty I believe my Lee hand primers work just as well for precision priming as long as you rotate it 2 to 3 times before bottoming the primer (squares up to the case head).
Old December 29, 2000, 08:24 PM   #3
slickpuppy

bk,
Thanks for the input. Where can I check out the K&M tool?

Old December 30, 2000, 01:29 AM   #4
bk40

http://www.precisionreloading.com/Manufacturers.htm (click on K&M products) I have used most of their products and their quality is 1st rate!

Quote:
If you want the ultimate in a hand priming tool - the K & M Primer/Gauge will fill the bill. Benchrest Shooters seat the primer until they "feel" it just touch the bottom of the primer pocket. Consistency is the secret to seating - with the K & M Primer/Gauge you have that consistency. This precision instrument employs a dial indicator ensuring that each primer is seated the precise depth required. Precise primer seating without this precision instrument can not be accomplished. I personally use this K & M Primer/Gauge and strongly recommend it to you precision shooters. (Also available without the indicating gauge feature).
To Order, Click on the Item Number.

KMPST975
PRIMER/GAUGE DELUXE SEATING TOOL
With #2 Shell Holder & small and large Rifle Primer Holder
$ 97.50

KMPST395
PRIMER DELUXE SEATING TOOL
With #2 Shell Holder & small and large Rifle Primer Holder
$ 39.95
Old December 30, 2000, 11:54 AM   #5
sw627pc

Just a note, the Sinclair tool does NOT use the Lee press shellholders. It uses the special shellholders Lee makes for their hand priming tool. Different design and NOT interchangeable.
Old December 30, 2000, 01:24 PM   #6
bk40

sw627pc, you are correct. Both the Sinclair and K&M tools use Lee's auto-prime shellholders
Old December 31, 2000, 12:36 AM   #7
slickpuppy

Whew!
Thanks for the clarifications on the shellholders for the tools. Much appreciated. I like the concept of the dial indicator on the K&M. Will have to consider it as well.

How does the construction of the K&M tool rate?
Old January 2, 2001, 12:08 PM   #8
Bogie

Something to think on:

If it doesn't work, to produce the UTMOST accuracy, benchrest folks don't use it.

I see Lee priming tools at BR matches. Actually, I see, in this order of prevalence, K&M, Sinclair, Lee, RCBS, Others.

Lee's stuff is very good. The problem that some folks have with it is that if you insist on forcing stuff, even when the force is excessive to the case at hand, it will break.

The K&M primer is steel, and is SOLID in feel.

I own 1 K&M primer and three Lee primers, and I honestly feel that the Lee tools do just as well. The K&M is more compact (no tray - single feed by hand), so it goes to the range.

Old August 29, 2014, 05:11 PM   #9
Tedbytes

Sinclair PT2000 priming tool

I have owned two of the Sinclair PT 2000 priming tools since they were available. I keep one setup and properly shimmed for small primer cups and the second for the large primer cups. Both have the option of converting large to small. In the beginning these tools were using and still are to some extent the Lee autoprime shell holders commonly found everywhere. These shell holders work great as intended with one major,and I underline major, issue;rust.
My older Lee autoprime shell holders which I have had for decades work fine in the old,now discontinued,Lee Autoprime as well as the mentioned Sinclair tool.
Somewhere in recent history,newer Lee shell holders changed metallurgy and have a tendency to rust. Rust is possible on alloy steel and is omnipresent on dies,shell plates and all tool steels used in reloading. The problem I had is by leaving the Lee Autoprime shell holder in the Stainless tool head of the excellent Sinclair PT2000 when not in use. I recently went to prime some cases and found that my Lee shell holder had welded itself tight into my Stainless Sinclair Priming tool head. I spent a lot of time in freeing up this mess. A quick order to Sinclair rectified this issue as they currently make STAINLESS STEEL Lee type shell holders for their tool. The Sinclair tool is the best on the market and best used with Sinclair's own version of the Lee Autoprime shell holders in stainless. By the way,the rust did spread to the priming post of the above mentioned issue,easily cleaned off.
I also own and use the 21st Century priming tool and their own version of their stainless shell holders. If you own these two makes of first rate priming tools,do yourself a big favor and purchase the appropriate shell holders for these two makers tools in stainless steel. Ted Bates
Old August 29, 2014, 05:46 PM   #10
Bart B.

Quote:
If it doesn't work, to produce the UTMOST accuracy, benchrest folks don't use it.
It took benchrest folks over fifty years since the early 1950's when group shooting became popular to learn that proper full length sizing fired cases produces better accuracy than neck only sizing. So, maybe there's better ways to seat primers than by "just touching" something. Other competitive shooters' stuff shooting just as accurate as benchrest stuff want their primer compound to be compressed by the anvil; primers are seated past the "just touching" the primer pocket bottom.