The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 9, 2013, 01:44 PM   #1
ZOOM2X

Colt LE 6940 -- Co-witnessed sights

The Colt specs say: "â—¾Mil-Spec backup iron sight and folding front sight for enhanced optical solutions"

1) I assume both front and rear sights fold, right?

2) Do you own a 6940? (I have not seen or touched one yet but I have looked a several AR-15s.)

3) If "yes" is your answer to question 2), why did you choose it over A) other makes and B) other Colt models?

4) If you have any AR-15, A) what make and model is it and B) do you have co-witnessed sights?

5) If you have co-witnessed sights, A) what makes and models are they and B) are they what you would choose again for your, hypothetically speaking, next AR-15?

6) If "no" is your response to 5 B, what would you choose next time?

I have read a little about co-witnessing, including the article in the following link but need to know more.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...ss-your-sights

I am interested in buying an AR-15 and have looked a little but hear various preferences (yes, everyone has one, or more, of these) and I need to learn more. Deciding what I want is step 1, getting one is step 2. I am only interested in step 1 at this point and, yes, I know step 2 will not be easy but I am not in a hurry.

Thanks. I have assumed you like to talk about your guns and share your knowledge and experience since you are on this forum. I do not mean to bother anyone with all these questions but that is one way I learn.

NRA Benefactor
Old June 9, 2013, 02:04 PM   #2
Fishbed77

I have Troy Folding Battlesights on my Spikes M4LE carbine and they cowitness perfectly with my Aimpoint PRO red dot on the Aimpoint QRP2 mount.

The Troys are not cheap, but I would recommend them over any other folding BUIS. They are rugged, easy to use, and have an excellent sight picture (much better, for example than the popular polymer MBUS sights from Magpul).
Old June 9, 2013, 02:08 PM   #3
ZOOM2X

Maybe 6920MP instead of 6940?

I have done a little further looking and maybe the 6920MP with the Magpul accessories would be a better choice. Thoughts?

Fishbed77

I have heard of Troy and it was all good. Thanks.

NRA Benefactor
Old June 9, 2013, 02:58 PM   #4
KyJim

I have a SW M+P with standard fixed front sight and Troy rear folding sight. I have an Eotech XPS with absolute co-witness. Getting a Colt 6720 with fixed front and MaTech folding rear. Will also absolute cowitness an optic with it. This is a lightweight carbine so am leaning toward Zortex Sparc as an Aimpoint MicroDot is spendy.
Old June 9, 2013, 03:08 PM   #5
Patriot86

I have a Troy rear sight on my AR-15 and I like it. Very well built, a little tougher to deploy from folded than the MBUIS but its more durable.
Old June 10, 2013, 07:50 AM   #6
BillDish

Le 6940

I have a LE 6940 and the reason I purchased it was the Colt quality and the flip up sights. For Optics I use a Eotech holographic.

I prever flip up sights because I primarily use the Optic and don't want to have the front iron sight in the way. I want the flip up as back up only.

I also have a M&P 15 OR (Optic ready) with no iron sights and a NiKon M223 optic. Also a Ruger SR556 with the flip up iron sights that came with it. I am going to put a Burris 1-4 optic on that one.

I prefer the flip up sights so I can have the flexability of optics without having the iron sight in my sight plan. I am not going into battle but just shooting for fun.
Old June 10, 2013, 12:41 PM   #7
spacemanspiff

I got the 6920, came with flipup rear sight. Wish the front was flipup as well. Not a huge deal though. Put a Trijicon Tripower on it, had that some years back on a Colt 6721, loved it. Still waiting for time in my schedule to open up so I can sight the Tripower in. I'm not really concerned about cowitnessing the irons, even at age 37 my eyes are not what they were 8 years ago. Very fuzzy sight picture no matter what I try thru the irons.

In the future I may have a flipup front sight put on my rifle. But my bigger priority will be replacing the handguards with something more aesthetically pleasing.
Old July 11, 2013, 10:07 PM   #8
ZOOM2X

Aimpoint Pro co-witmess w/ rear BUIS & fixed front??

Thanks guys. I bought the 6920 and am now looking at sights. One buddy says Eotech but others say Aimpoint. I think I would like to mount an Aimpoint Pro on the top rail so if I flip up the rear, then it and the fixed front co-witness with the Aimpoint. Will that work?

NRA Benefactor
Old July 11, 2013, 11:28 PM   #9
Auto426

Cowitnessing is more dependent on the optic and the optic's mount, not so much the iron sights. Most AR iron sights are the same height and are meant to either work with or mimic the height of a standard F marked A2 front sight base.

Unmagnified optics are typically set up to co-witness with irons in two ways: absolute and lower 1/3. From what I understand, the QRP2 mount that Aimpoint uses with the PRO provides neither. It's somewhere in between an absolute and lower 1/3 cowitness, which may or may not be a good thing depending on your prefered type of cowitness.
Old July 12, 2013, 12:51 AM   #10
LRChops

The 6940 is far superior to most AR platform rifles for a few reasons. The flip up front sight is mounted to the barrel and not to the rail system. A much more accurate and stable platform than an add on rail sight! Also the monolithic rail system is one piece and supplies a solid sighting platform without any movement. COLT is high quality Mil Spec battle proven rifle!
Old July 12, 2013, 02:01 AM   #11
5.56RifleGuy

"The flip up front sight is mounted to the barrel and not to the rail system. A much more accurate and stable platform than an add on rail sight! Also the monolithic rail system is one piece and supplies a solid sighting platform without any movement."

These two statements seem to contradict each other a bit.
Old July 12, 2013, 07:20 AM   #12
Fishbed77

Quote:
Unmagnified optics are typically set up to co-witness with irons in two ways: absolute and lower 1/3. From what I understand, the QRP2 mount that Aimpoint uses with the PRO provides neither.r
The Aimpoint PRO with QRP2 mount provides absolute cowitness with the Troy Folding Battlesights on my carbine. I presume that it would with any other standard-height AR sights.
Old July 12, 2013, 09:10 PM   #13
ZOOM2X

Aimpoint vs Eotech

The Aimpoint PRO turns on when you insert the battery, runs for 3 years and then you repeat, over and over. I guess the light wears out sometime, maybe not in my lifetime. It uses a funny battery, too. Maybe Eotech is more mainstream. thoughts?

Oh, I bought the 6920 so that's the last rifle for a while.

NRA Benefactor
Old July 12, 2013, 09:38 PM   #14
Auto426

Quote:
It uses a funny battery, too. Maybe Eotech is more mainstream. thoughts?
I'd say that both EoTechs and Aimpoints are mainstream. Accesories for either should be easy to find. The CR123 battery that EoTech's newer XPS series sights use is more common than the Aimpoint PRO's, but the 3 year runtime on a PRO gives you plenty of time to track down a few spares for it's not-so-common battery.

Quote:
The Aimpoint PRO with QRP2 mount provides absolute cowitness with the Troy Folding Battlesights on my carbine. I presume that it would with any other standard-height AR sights.
I've never been able to play around with one unfortunately, but after a decent amount of searching "somewhere in the middle" was the best answer I could find. It's nice to finally see a straightforward answer on the subject. .
Old July 13, 2013, 02:28 PM   #15
rep1954

I received a Colt 6920 for last Christmas from my wife, it is the model with the removable handle and a fixed A2 front sight. For the same Christmas my son gave me a EOTech XPS2 sight. I set the gun up as per instructions with the open sights for a 50/200 zero using 50 yards as my zero point at the range. I then removed the handle and installed the EOTech and zeroed it for 50 yards. It very quickly became old swapping the handle and EOTech back and forth. I decided to go with a fold down rear sight and keep everything on the gun at the same time. I bought a MBUS folding rear sight. This sight as I found only has a windage adjustment on it. I installed the MBUS along with the EOTech and low and behold all I had to do was move the rear windage 2 clicks and everything was lined up. Three different companies accessories all coming togther on one gun like that really impressed me. Most of the time I leave the rear sight up even when using the holographic sight if its daylight. when the rear sight is down I see my front sight but dont try and use it with the EOTech as it's a waste of time.
Old July 15, 2013, 11:56 AM   #16
Fishbed77

Quote:

Quote:
I've never been able to play around with one unfortunately, but after a decent amount of searching "somewhere in the middle" was the best answer I could find. It's nice to finally see a straightforward answer on the subject .
Please note that you must use the AR-height spacer included with the PRO/QRP2 to ensure proper co-witnessing of the red dot with the sights. Otherwise, the optic will sit too low.