The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Closed Thread

Old August 23, 2023, 06:37 PM   #1
kje54

Dark Mode?

Haven't been around since January, probably when I signed on. Does this have a dark mode setting that I can't find? Don't remember if the ancient V Bulletin format had a dark mode setting or not.
Old August 23, 2023, 11:28 PM   #2
Mal H
Staff

No, there isn't a dark style available here like the one at THR.
Old August 24, 2023, 05:07 AM   #3
kje54

Hi Mal, While I like the one at THR I prefer the darker one under the old format. Unfortunately I've become so used to dark mode on pretty much everything these days being on this site is akin to staring at the sun. Probably why I didn't stick around after registering the first time.
Thanks for responding, see ya over at the THR.
Old August 25, 2023, 06:31 PM   #4
gwpercle

I'm looking at a black screen with white letters ... I find it easier to read in this setting .

Click on User CP (Control Panel) and look on the left side and scroll all the way to the bottom where there is a long bar...click on it and it will say "Quick Style Chooser"
I made my selection by looking at each style ... and picking the style I could see best ... it says ... vBulletin3 ... but there are 6 different screen styles to choose from .

I'm not a computer person but I think I have it right ...let me know if you can't find the Quick Style Chooser in your Control Panel .

The white letters on black are easier for my old eyes to read ... I guess this is dark mode or dark screen !
Gary
Old August 25, 2023, 08:58 PM   #5
Mal H
Staff

The vBulletin 3 style is the standard white background with black text and blue dividers. Are you sure that's what you chose?

I'm fairly certain member kje54 knows how to find the style chooser.
Old August 26, 2023, 06:35 PM   #6
gwpercle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal H View Post
The vBulletin 3 style is the standard white background with black text and blue dividers. Are you sure that's what you chose?

I'm fairly certain member kje54 knows how to find the style chooser.
I've got the blue dividers ... but my background is black and the letters are a bold white and are easily read . I just have no idea how or what was done to my computer to make it look like this ... my son may have set it for me ...I don't remember !
I'm 73 and don't know beans about computers . I wish I had some computer DNA in my make-up but I'm clueless as how all this stuff works .
Gary
Old August 26, 2023, 06:44 PM   #7
gwpercle

Well ...that didn't work !
I tried every setting on the " Quick Style Chooser" ... all 6 styles

and every style had different style "type" but every setting had a black background with White Letters ? and I'll be danged if I can remember how it got this way ...
Next time I see my boy I'll ask him ...see if there's a 14 year old around your house and ask them ...14 year olds are born knowing computer stuff .
Gary
Old August 26, 2023, 09:39 PM   #8
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Curious. When I try the alternate styles, NONE of them have a black background.
Jeepaholic
Old August 27, 2023, 03:38 PM   #9
Lurch37

Quote:
Curious. When I try the alternate styles, NONE of them have a black background.
Same here.
Old August 27, 2023, 04:07 PM   #10
gwpercle

Yes , that is correct ... it isn't any of the altenate styles that have the black background and white letters ... on my computer , every one of them have black / white letters .
If I go to Cast Boolits ...black / white letters . Smith & Wesson ... black / white letters

Every site I go to , even coupons.com ...has black background / white letters .

I think the setting is made on the computer ... every site and all screens show black background with white letters ... But I don't remember how it got this way .
I think my son may have set the computer to show text like this because it is easier for me to read ... I have Detached Retina's , Macular Degeneration and Glacoma , can hardly read regular print but the white letters on the black background stand out like a sore thumb and are easier for this half blind old guy to make out ...
I just can't remember how he did it ... I don't think it was me ... it must have been some other body !
There is a setting that makes the text easier to read ... I just can't remember what it is ... seems like on the computer screen , lower left hand corner is a row of 5 icons :
#1 - Start , #2 - Settings , #3 - Control Panel , #4 - File Explorer , #5 - New Tab

I believe ... #2 - Settings and / or #3 - Control Panel was used to set up my screen to make reading easier for the hard of seeing ... I'm leery about going in there , I don't want to mess it up ... I can easily read the screen when before with white background and thin black letters I had a lot of trouble reading it .
Sorry I'm of such little help but I don't understand computers .
Gary
Old August 27, 2023, 09:03 PM   #11
Mal H
Staff

I think gwpercle will have to figure out his white on black situation himself probably with help from his son. If anyone has any clues for him to try, please PM him.

The answer to the original question is still no, we don't have a dark mode or style here at TFL.

Closed.
Closed Thread